• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which Phazer for me ?

Lone Rider

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yam-Poo
Long time Yamaha 2 stroke guy here. Got to ride all the '07 4 strokes at a demo back then.

Loved the Phazer for what it was. Continued on with many different brands and sleds, all 2 stroke.

Now, Im looking for a nice sled for tight trails and twisty groomers. I loved the way the 4 stroke Phazer ate up the rough and irregular stuff.

Here's my basic ride style Im intending it for. Mostly tight, curvy groomers that are pretty well maintained and smooth. Ocassionally they get somewhat ridden out, but never really bad whoops.

I never ditch ride. I dont go fast (mostly around the 40 MPH mark in the twistys) . Rarely over 60 on the big, straight corridors to the more interesting trails.

Like to go out on real long all day rides. 150-250 is a typical days mileage. Comfort and wind protection is valued.

I race vintage Lemans, and have alot of experience riding crappy old sleds to the limit, yet, have no intentions of riding a Phazer anywhere near that hard. Its more what I would call a casual toss around play sled in my fleet.

So, I know I dont want a longer track, and I know I want reverse. The price limit is gonna be around the $ 4k level, which will rule out any newer sleds.

Which model and what features would fit my intended use better than others ?

Here's my 2 cents. I have an 07 GT. I mostly trail ride. I go for long all day rides as well. Some people will tell you that the Phazer isn't a long range trail sled. I disagree. I'm 47 and I find it a comfortable ride. I had the big GT windshield but now use a small one. I don't feel the cold even at -34 C.

It is a taller ride than usual and the sled requires active riding. If you like leaning in corners this is the sled for you. I love riding it on twisty trails. Its such a nimble sled.

I think you can get an 2010 or newer GT for your price range. That has the big windshield.

People are always surprised that I'm still riding the Phazer and haven't upgraded. But there is nothing that matches the performance. I dont need or want a lake racer. I want a dependable trail sled and its the Phazer. Love the engine, and the ergonomics. My main and really only complaint with the sled is lack of storage.

Last edited:
you sound like a GT model guy for a phazer. love mine but on my next new sled it will be longer than 128" it is a cruzer and soaks up some good bumps and shutter bumps. just remember 4 strokes have engine breaking meaning they dont "coast" like the 2 smokes. you drive them in harder let off and use little brake. I myself also found you need to drive it thru the conners as in keep on the throttle a little to keep all the supension loaded to turn. at least for me. just remember if you get one act like its your first sled and relearn how to drive.. and have fun. good luck

plus what Cubby said!

Just like Tucker I wish the Phazer came stock in a 136 with the 1.5" Freeride. That would be my ideal sled!

Oh an matching front panels to give it some symmetry ! :)

I keep thinking I will upgrade to a Ski Doo 900 Ace Renegade in 137 but for only 10 more HP - why bother!

Dont get me wrong guys, I have spent time riding 4 stroke sleds. Yes, quite different than 2 strokers especially under engine braking.

I was allmost gonna buy a Doo 600 Ace, but then I thought, I allready have excellent sleds that fill that niche of riding style.....with ALOT more sting to them.

No, what my reasoning for a Phazer is its MX style platform with that forward and upright rider position. So when your in the mood to ride aggressivly, either pine tree slalom or bumping irregular surface its more like a sport ATV or a MXer.

I figure a nice big, all clear windshield and some sort of small sturdy saddlebags will help quite a bit for what I am intending.

I know I would like a GT edition, yet have to wonder what the other editions have in comparison. Like said, Im not a fan of longer tracks, hence the shorter GT was what I spent time riding during demo's.

Long distance touring is not my main priority. I just didnt wanna start with a overly aggressive and stiff sled that would tire you bad if ridden into triple digit days. And for reference, my rider weight with gear will be around 185 pounds.

I am 51 going on 52 and will be staring my 4th season this year on my 09' Phazer RTX. I have ridden most of the 4 stroke Yamaha sleds and the Phazer still does it for me. The ergos and ease for standing up is one of the main reasons I like the Phazer. Weight is another. I owned an 07' Rage GT and didnt like that I could not throw it around when I wanted to. I am also happy to ride 75 - 80mph down the trail now. I dont need to go any fastener. I have been really happy with the Fox Floats on the RTX. They are really easy to adjust and make a big difference when you change the air pressure. Not sure I road a Phazer GT to know if it rides softer than the RTX. If the trail is really rough I just stand as it is so easy and really comfortable. Regardless of what Phazer you buy, you will want to change the track. The stock track is junk and does not allow you to take full advantage of the grunt the Phazer motor puts out. At the least go with a 121 x 1.5" Freeride like Cubby and that will totally transform the sled. I stretched mine to 144" and it rocks. Good luck with what you decide. G.B.

The very tall stance does make a very comfortable ride I'd say. Overall I do not get sore legs/back like I used to compared to 'sit-down' sleds. Knee wind guards and and the tall windshield make a pretty warm ride also. And x2 ditch that useless track and you won't regret it. Some shock upgrades can really make the back end ride nice.

I have the FX and absolutely love the ride quality of the front shocks, never touched them. Back end took some work to get it to ride nice, like most Yamahas hahaha

I'm guessing that you'll be happy with any model. Even the 144 track with longer A-arms will be a nice sled for your intended purpose. Longer trail rides are never an issue for me, and I am the same age as Cubby. I ride stand-up about 85% of the time, and I've had ACL reconstruction on my left knee and never get too sore from riding. I still think the Phazer has some of the best ergos of any sled out there, which keeps me from spending money on something newer or different. I would like to demo a new Axys this year (if that's possible) just to get a feel for it, but I am skeptical about whether they will really ride any different ... and then there's the reliability. I did stretch my RTX to 136 (added an EZryde skid and Freeride track), but only because I like to boondock whenever I can. Like you, it's not about the speed for me. I like finding new routes and the solitude of being inside my helmet more than pushing the limits of the sled. And the 136 does just fine on the trails. The Phazer has really good low-end torque, and it tractors in moderately deep snow despite its front end weight (wider skis help some too) which makes it a great low-speed adventure sled. If you're planning 150 mile or so day trips with the Phazer, you like the taller seat height. Any time you get your hips higher than your knees you reduce the effort required to ride through rougher sections. The Phazer is a sled that you can easily transition from sitting to standing and find its center axis by adjusting your foot position on the running boards and ride stand-up through the rough stuff with the sled teetering underneath you like a dirtbike running through the whoops. As for your price range, you should be able to find a clean 2010 or older in your price range without too much trouble. Good luck with your decision!

What are the main differences between the early GT's vs RTX's ?

Im seeing both the front shocks and the rear shocks are different. Is the suspension travel different......if so, is it simply because the different shocks ?

I also see the GT has a bigger and all clear windshield, along with bodywork that has more wind protection than a RTX.

Is bodywork interchangeable between the two ? In other words, can a GT windshield and bodywork be a simple bolt on to a RTX ?

mainly shocks and gearing. The RTX comes with higher end shocks (more adjustable, different valving) for "rough trail extreme (RTX)" riding. For what it's worth, I prefer coil-over shocks for trail riding, as I believe they provide a more compliant ride over a variety of conditions, especially stutter bumps. As for gearing, The RTX has slightly taller gearing for top end. In any event, all of the differences between the models are easily interchangeable, including the windshields. The MTX will have shorter A-arms (and different drivers I think), but even those parts can be swapped out.

Back