• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

who is paying to shim/update reverse??

redrocker07

Veteran
Is Yamaha stepping up to the plate and repairing the reverse issue with the shim update? Mine is out of warranty but only has 900 miles.

I have someone that wants to buy my Phazer but they are concerned about the hard to engage reverse and have second thoughts about buying it if they need to pay for the repairs.

Just had my '07 FX done under warranty a week ago. It does work as it should have from day one now. No more rocking, pushing or pulling to engage. I was told that the issue arises because individuals are tilting their trailers, starting the sled and attempting to put into reverse...thus putting some type of force on the servo. I happen to not follow this routine and pull mine off and start on level ground and still had the issue?

Here is a recent video I took, notice it blinks once or twice and engages by itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zr1uzZ-c-g

If anyone is interested, mine is for sale...all updates have been done, Hauck GHT-R-Done kit and many custom touches. The GHT-R-Done kit is amazing BTW for anyone interested in that upgrade... :Rockon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 90760&rd=1

[quote="osceolacabin" I was told that the issue arises because individuals are tilting their trailers, starting the sled and attempting to put into reverse...thus putting some type of force on the servo. I happen to not follow this routine and pull mine off and start on level ground and still had the issue?[/quote]

So then that would mean you wouldn't start off in reverse on an incline either?

Did you experience any screeching in the belt after the shim was installed - like my VL has? If so, do you know of a fix?

Thanks

BombaPolaYama said:
[quote="osceolacabin" I was told that the issue arises because individuals are tilting their trailers, starting the sled and attempting to put into reverse...thus putting some type of force on the servo. I happen to not follow this routine and pull mine off and start on level ground and still had the issue?

So then that would mean you wouldn't start off in reverse on an incline either?

Did you experience any screeching in the belt after the shim was installed - like my VL has? If so, do you know of a fix?

Thanks[/quote]

No I never have started it and used reverse on an incline. I pull my sleds off the trailer.

I couldn't tell you if it screech's since the update, it has gone from my trailer to the pole barn. Didn't seem to be any different from the couple of hot laps in the yard.

yukonranger said:
Does anyone know if this is a problem with the '08s too or not? thanks :yam:

I don't know how common the problem is on teh 08's but I know of at least one 08 with the reverse glitch - mine.

Reverse difficult to engage on occasion = shim installed = reverse engaging properly = belt screech on initial clutch engagement = no fix from Yamaha (but, oh yes, I'm told they are working on it)

So they are installing a extra or thicker shim in the secondary?I understand why.To take any pressure off of gears from belt drag to allow shifting easily but what about when your belt wears?What about performance loss?Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this but seems like a very poor fix.

reverse

I had my reverse fixed by the dealer under warranty. (no charge) Before they shimmed it I had to pull it off the trailer more than once. Seems to be ok now.

cannondale27 said:
So they are installing a extra or thicker shim in the secondary?I understand why.To take any pressure off of gears from belt drag to allow shifting easily but what about when your belt wears?What about performance loss?Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this but seems like a very poor fix.

My thoughts exactly - a very poor fix indeed!

I was told by the mechanic that Yamaha's technician told him that a smaller shim would be a fix but he hasn't been able to find one on their microfiche. Last I heard from them about two weeks ago.

BombaPolaYama said:
yukonranger said:
Does anyone know if this is a problem with the '08s too or not? thanks :yam:

I don't know how common the problem is on teh 08's but I know of at least one 08 with the reverse glitch - mine.

Reverse difficult to engage on occasion = shim installed = reverse engaging properly = belt screech on initial clutch engagement = no fix from Yamaha (but, oh yes, I'm told they are working on it)

Has anyone heard if there is a more permanent fix for the reverse other than putting in a shim which causes the belt to screech?

I was told that there was supposed to be a different shaft put on the 08's to fix this problem - but when I don't know.

I have to rock my sled a little to get reverse to engage (what the dealer says I should do). Is the rocking just a short fix? Has the reverse failed at some point for you?

My warrenty ends after this season, I want to make sure I have everything fixed so I don't get stuck with it next season ...

yamahagirl said:
I have to rock my sled a little to get reverse to engage (what the dealer says I should do). Is the rocking just a short fix? Has the reverse failed at some point for you?

My warrenty ends after this season, I want to make sure I have everything fixed so I don't get stuck with it next season ...

Well, you shouldn't have to do that (okey pokey) with any machine that is working properly. They can put in a shim, that is a short-term fix as well in my opinion, but in my case it then caused the belt to screech on engagement. I'm told they have come up with a new shaft at least for the VL's that is supposed to be a proper fix.

All the best, and don't let them off the hook on this, I think they are just putting you off!

FWIW.... My belt has always screeched, original belt with over 4000 miles.....

yamahagirl said:

What is happening is you happen to be stopped tooth to tooth, pulling forward a little or rocking would let it engage.

My had two shims in the secondary from the factory. I removed one shim and actually mine engages into reverse better. I dont use reverse much so I can live with the rockin thing.

Took another one apart and it only had one from the factory. Go figure. It basically just depends on how high you want to run that belt on the sheaves of the secondary. Do you want proper engagement or reverse? I think the shims are 2mm thick but I can measure it and post it for you.

Back