• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

who is paying to shim/update reverse??

Mine does the same thing.. level ground or on a hill it should engage anyways.. i was told its because its revving to high for it to engage and when ur 13 like me its a pain in the #*$&@ to have to rock it into reverse.. if you just shut it off it usually switched and just start back up but it usually goes in the gear i didnt want it to go in..

just got my wifes 07' phazer fx back from the dealer, i have an awesome dealer C & E Yamaha, Middleboro, Mass. my went in for the re-call for the front end and they did alot more, put a fan in, did the cold start fix, the secondary shim for the reverse problem, all for nothing, they checked the "link" but that wasn't broken amazing enough, that is an awesome dealer

wayfastkev said:
My had two shims in the secondary from the factory. I removed one shim and actually mine engages into reverse better. I dont use reverse much so I can live with the rockin thing.

Took another one apart and it only had one from the factory. Go figure. It basically just depends on how high you want to run that belt on the sheaves of the secondary. Do you want proper engagement or reverse? I think the shims are 2mm thick but I can measure it and post it for you.

Sometimes I just cannot believe what I read on here!! That's just great, if we are willing to put up with sub-par quality from Yamaha - then that is exactly what we will get! So please explain to me why you are satisfied with a machine that you have to rock into reverse and a choice between proper engagement and reverse; and with a company that is unwilling or unable to fix this .....???

My 07 does it in the garage, on my trailer that is level and has a ramp. I also have difficulty getting it back into forward. Have to rock it for both shifts. Have some warranty left, I hope they have a real fix as well. I have to admit, I have not discussed with my dealer yet.

BombaPolaYama said:
wayfastkev said:
My had two shims in the secondary from the factory. I removed one shim and actually mine engages into reverse better. I dont use reverse much so I can live with the rockin thing.

Took another one apart and it only had one from the factory. Go figure. It basically just depends on how high you want to run that belt on the sheaves of the secondary. Do you want proper engagement or reverse? I think the shims are 2mm thick but I can measure it and post it for you.

Sometimes I just cannot believe what I read on here!! That's just great, if we are willing to put up with sub-par quality from Yamaha - then that is exactly what we will get! So please explain to me why you are satisfied with a machine that you have to rock into reverse and a choice between proper engagement and reverse; and with a company that is unwilling or unable to fix this .....???

Easy! I do care! My statement is that if I have a choice of having the secondary shimmed farther apart for a easy reverse shift (which I hardly use) or the sheaves closer together for maximum belt life and performance of my sled. I "would" (not you) rather have a tighter secondary for performance and belt life.

That is what my statement meant. Plus, I added that after I removed a 1mm shim (thats the thickness of the shims being used by Yamaha currently. My previous post said 2 mm but I stand corrected, sorry!) my sled goes into reverse better with the secondary tighter not looser. Its just info for people to take it or leave it. It up to you. I am not telling nobody to do it!

The back lash in the reverse gear box is inevitable because there not constant mesh gear boxes. So if i got to stand up on my sled (I dont get off the sled) once in a blue moon and wiggle my butt for two seconds to get reverse, I can deal with that. Its a nice resale option for those who really need it but I dont use it that much. Believe me I do care and Yamaha in California can vouch for that. I foreward all complaints and recommendations on all units I ride which includes my MX race bikes also, for over 30 years. I have been doing this a long time.

Do you own a Phazer? I just read a post were you stated you dont even own one. Which is all right with me but dont bash me until you own one, work on one, and then take the time to make assements based on what you have learned with that sled. So relax and breath and do what I do. I read more than "I post". I hated to post this but I thought I should clarify my previous post and address your comments. Which I should have just forgotten that you even made that statement because I dont come on hear to swap ink spatt with people.

So do you own a Phazer? I am curious now.

Thanks and Have a Better day!!!:)

Just about every sled I ride with has reverse all different brands.All of them will fight with reverse quite often.Only ones that dont are the SkiDoo and Polaris which actually reverses the motor.Something a 4st will never have.Maybe some are comparing bad engagement to the Bombadier and Polaris 2strokes.

cannondale27 said:
Just about every sled I ride with has reverse all different brands.All of them will fight with reverse quite often.Only ones that dont are the SkiDoo and Polaris which actually reverses the motor.Something a 4st will never have.Maybe some are comparing bad engagement to the Bombadier and Polaris 2strokes.

Exactly! Because the Doo's use the motor instead of the gears box. That dont have to worry about gears meshing. You're probaly right, some are use too that style instead of actual gear type engagement.

But I was thinking about this possible fix that Yamha could do. Instead of using a servo motor that just does a in and out axis move of the gear. They could install a servo that does the same thing but, as it moves out into position it would also do a slow rotate of at least 15 degrees in the proper direction for correct engagement. That wouldnt be that hard of a fix that would allow a more constant engagement. Just a thought. I wont actually take mine apart until its a real problem (like grinding up).

That would help I would think.Another type of reverse engagement would have the gears meshed all the time and use some type of clutch that is engaged to activate the reverse gear.

[quote="wayfastkev
Do you own a Phazer? I just read a post were you stated you dont even own one. Which is all right with me but dont bash me until you own one, work on one, and then take the time to make assements based on what you have learned with that sled. So relax and breath and do what I do. I read more than "I post". I hated to post this but I thought I should clarify my previous post and address your comments. Which I should have just forgotten that you even made that statement because I dont come on hear to swap ink spatt with people.

So do you own a Phazer? I am curious now.

Thanks and Have a Better day!!!:)[/quote]

No problem, most days are great! And I was hoping the days would be even better with Yamaha but so far, that is not the case. I am not a Phazer owner but I own the 08 Venture Lite as shown in my signature.

Obviously you are able to work on your machine and do fixes better than Yamaha, but please understand that the majority of buyers are not nearly as mechanically gifted as you are. Excuse my ignorance, but I would not know where to look for a shim in the clutch and I am not going to take apart stuff that I don't have a clue about and probably void the warranty. I bought a new sled so I wouldn't have to do that stuff. I just took it back to Yamaha and trusted them to fix it. The fixes that you have done may only be minor to you but for most it would mean several trips back to the dealer with lost time and travelling expenses and probably not get the job done properly then. For example, my clutch was shimmed to fix the reversing issue which then caused belt screeching which is a source of frustration among other issues. And believe it or not, Yamaha told the mechanic that a smaller shim should solve that problem, but they didn't have one available so maybe he could check with another sled manufacturer to see if they had one available (ahah, very amusing, unprofessional and silly). Now tell me, is that satisfactory servicing in your opinion?

ps. No one has replied to my question on the news I heard that they have a new shaft to fix the reverse issue.

To the best of my knowledge I have not heard of another production servo and actuator that is a complete fix for this problem. But, I may be incorrected if someone has a hot tip and part number. It is still a tough thing to accomplish perfectly when there are moving parts that have to mesh just right.

Cannondale, have you heard or read something on this issue? You seem real knowledgable on wrenching and you are up to date with all issues on this forum.

got my reverse done today,they shimmed it and she told me,youre new belt will be in shortly,i said,what belt,she told me the belt is part of the update,i was suprised,so now im getting a new belt,i still have the original one,6000 miles on it,its the toughest belt ive ever had and im getting a new one free of charge,my dealer is awesome too.it originaly went to dealer for a code 64 wich dont exist in the list,they cleared it off and its working perfect

pat the rat said:
got my reverse done today,they shimmed it and she told me,youre new belt will be in shortly,i said,what belt,she told me the belt is part of the update,i was suprised,so now im getting a new belt,i still have the original one,6000 miles on it,its the toughest belt ive ever had and im getting a new one free of charge,my dealer is awesome too.it originaly went to dealer for a code 64 wich dont exist in the list,they cleared it off and its working perfect

I hope it works for ya. Mine seemed good at first but now reversing problems are a regular occurrence even with the shim in, so it has not been a good fix in my case. I'm actually thinking about having the shim removed because at least then I shouldn't have the belt screech.

Any thoughts?

pat the rat said:

Did you get your new belt? And if so, is it a different type of belt or a replacement? I'm asking because my dealer told me that Yamaha is testing a new belt to see if it fixes the reverse problem. Has anyone heard about that fix? BTW, how is the fix working for you?

Thanks

the reverse works fine,the belt does squeek sometimes but i'll live with it,didnt go to the dealer this week but its probably in,our season is done so im not in a rush to get it,i will post when i get the new belt

Back