• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will slightly low oil level cause limp mode?

DelgatyXTX

Expert
Put about 400 miles on since I changed the oil in fall. Everything good for first 300 or so but noticed my oil light on after a fuel stop. Check the oil and it's at the low end of normal range. Start sled no problem rest of the day except it died on takeoff from a warmup shack. Figured maybe wasn't quite warm even though temp light wasn't on. No issues rest of day. Go for a ride next day, oil light comes on after I stop and turn off the sled. I always use the key but immediately turn it back on to view km, time, etc. Sled still runs fine, carry on. Go about 20 miles into next ride, sled loses power for a split second a few times in a row so I pull over. Start it back up go a few hundred feet, does it more, this time dies completely when I pull over, oil light on. Cranks but won't fire. Let it sit a few seconds, try again fires up fine with no oil light. Decide to turn around let rest of group continue. Limp it 2 miles to nearby town, come back with trailer. Bring it into garage after letting it warm up oil reads about 1/4" under bottom line on dipstick. Oil pan is wet with melted snow but is slightly oily. Figure slight oil leak bit for it to take over 400 miles to register seems odd. I also changed track so also had to remove oil tank. Made sure all metal tubes were as far into hoses as possible and all clamps were tight as possible. No oil on garage floor or left on trail.

The worst part is my old Doo acted the same way because of electrical issues. Sold it and bought 4S for peace of mind and it's acting the same way.

Did you remove the o ring from the engine when you changed the oil filter?

I pulled the hood off and looked for oil in all of the pans. My sled has the mpi turbo so the overflow line running out of the seperator to the front of the intake plenum which is plugged with foam had oil on it and all the frame components below have a thin film. What I don't understand is: how did oil travel up out of my tank and over the motor to get into the seperator? I've never had the sled on more than a 45 degree angle for more than 5 seconds. I primarily trail ride and play around in the powder at times but I've never had the sled on its side fully. I'm going to pull that hose off and see how much is in the seperator. I'm thinking there shouldn't be any? I'm also praying I'm not getting blow-by and actually eating the oil. There was no boost controller on this sled and the previous owner rode in lower elevations but in hills so was probably on the throttle alot. Only 426 miles like that though. I'm hoping not enough to do any damage.

That is more common than you would think and if you have the ball style check valve they freeze. My 14 did it several times and puked oil all over the hot turbo we move the line so it is now out the front if the sled in the 15 and it has not done it again . The pressure from the turbo does seem to push a bit if oil vapor out of the tube. I also had a problem on the 14 riding fast and the gauge would go from water temp of 170 to 213 in an instant and just shut down at wot which was not fun. My 15 now has an overheating issue that is frustrating and I have not gone more than 20 miles this season without an overheat and shut down

That is more common than you would think and if you have the ball style check valve they freeze. My 14 did it several times and puked oil all over the hot turbo we move the line so it is now out the front if the sled in the 15 and it has not done it again . The pressure from the turbo does seem to push a bit if oil vapor out of the tube. I also had a problem on the 14 riding fast and the gauge would go from water temp of 170 to 213 in an instant and just shut down at wot which was not fun. My 15 now has an overheating issue that is frustrating and I have not gone more than 20 miles this season without an overheat and shut down

I've lost about 1/2 liter of oil though, seems like alot or can I expect this? If I've got to add a half liter every 400 miles, I'm not prepared to keep the sled. The problems your having seem even worse. Can't ride more than 20 miles, makes group rides almost impossible.

mpi change their oil routing .I would check yours and upgrade to new

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Back