• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would you lend out your sled?

billy2guns

Veteran
I have a buddy who used to have a sled and we would ride together all the time. Unfortunalty during the hardships of the recent recesion he was forced to sell his sleds. I have been lucky enough to keep working and even bought a new sled this year. My friend wants to borrow one of my older sleds and use it for the weekend. He is a great stand up guy, unfortunatly he's a brake a*s and wouldnt be able to afford to fix anything he broke at the moment. I am going agaisnt my better judgemnet and am going to lend him my sled. ;):D

My question for you guys is, would you lend out your sled?

I have done this many times. It's a sled , not my wife LOL. I know if it comes back broken, it won't be loaned to that person again. BUT, with 2 older boys, 7 more kids at home, AND a wife, stuff gets broken. I have enough parts on hand to fix most stuff, and anything else is available hee on TY. I won't lend my Attak, but all the rest are, uh, EXPENDABLE LOL. If he can't afford what he breaks, the least he could do would be to help with labor. Just my 2 cents!

I would lend my spare sled to a good friend every time. In fact one of my buddies has been riding one of our extra sleds for more than 10 years. The one time he cracked a sled up enough to need repair was day one of a week trip and he paid the bill entirely himself.

Times are tough now and if I had no sleds I would be very appreciative of one of my buddies letting me ride a spare sled.

Lending a 150hp Apex to a guy who does not own a sled is a different story.

I have always offered my extra sled to someone in need (theirs broke down or whatever the case may be) but here is where it gets bad.......

You offer the sled to the guy and as the group is trail riding, he/she is beating the living piss out of it and when you get back to the place we were staying at, offer to help put his broken down sled in his/her trailer and there is a SXR500 sitting in the trailer that runs just fine. And it doesn't end there.....come to find out when you get home to check everything, the W arm is broke and the rails are bent.

Just make sure you are very clear on your comments as they can come back to haunt you.

NOS-PRO said:
I have always offered my extra sled to someone in need (theirs broke down or whatever the case may be) but here is where it gets bad.......

You offer the sled to the guy and as the group is trail riding, he/she is beating the living piss out of it and when you get back to the place we were staying at, offer to help put his broken down sled in his/her trailer and there is a SXR500 sitting in the trailer that runs just fine. And it doesn't end there.....come to find out when you get home to check everything, the W arm is broke and the rails are bent.

Just make sure you are very clear on your comments as they can come back to haunt you.

Maybe time to hand out a kick in the A--

I lent a buddy one of the best sleds I ever had, my 97 Mach Z. He brought it home all twisted up hitting an expansion crack causing the sled to go end over end on Houghton Lake. I ended up getting a new sled out of it but it just wasn't the same....

nos-pro, that ain't funny but damn that's funny. I thought I was the only one with friends like that....

I would to certain friends, its only metal.

A few years ago, wife bought her new vector and I still had my XC700. We were invited to a friends place up north. The morning of loading everything up I noticed a bunch of my skid bearings shot. My other buddy had two new yammis so I called him up and took his 07 nytro up north.

I called my insurance company and put full insurance on it for the weekend, that way if I did manage to screw it up. It would not be on his insurance and raise his premiums.

It worked out well, the wife loved the 4s yammis so much, the next day I went and got an Apex :)

I keep a 600 Poo as a reminder of how much fun a lightweight sled can be - and also as a back-up sled. As long as it's being used in a responsible manner, I don't care, even if it breaks. If I felt somebody were abusing/hammering on it and couldn't afford to fix it, I'm afraid that ride might be a short one. Loaning it to somebody that I would not be actually riding with would be another situation I would avoid.... FWIW

I have cetain friends who I would let take my sled with out even thinking twice about it. There are guys on TY that if we where on a ride and for some reason they needed a sled, and I couldn't ride, They could have my sled. Now I have some other ridding "friends" who wouldn't be allowed to touch my sled, let alone ride it. Maxdlx

ahicks said:
I keep a 600 Poo as a reminder of how much fun a lightweight sled can be - and also as a back-up sled. As long as it's being used in a responsible manner, I don't care, even if it breaks. If I felt somebody were abusing/hammering on it and couldn't afford to fix it, I'm afraid that ride might be a short one. Loaning it to somebody that I would not be actually riding with would be another situation I would avoid.... FWIW

X2

Agree with most everything said here. ;)!

I do it all the time.
Sledding is too much fun NOT to share! :Rockon:

General rules:

(We go over these up front.)
They are riding my back-up sled, not mine.
They break it, they buy/fix it.
They ride with me.
They ride behind me.
They are FULLY expected to be courteous to others. (yes, it's a rule. lol)
I set the rules, Speed, technique, treatment of equipment, courtesy to others, etc.
They kill it, they buy it.
Find something later, they help fix it.

It has worked well most of the time.
Not always, but usually.

Am still doing it, can't have been all bad. lol

PS NOS-PRO, I would have been pissed!

Left mine at a friend's cottage one season with permission for him to use it and when he was loading it up to bring it back to my house he noticed that the front end was all bent on one side. Turns out one of his son's friends must have hit a stump and forgot to mention it. Long story short he paid $300 for used parts, I did the repair and borrowed his sled for a day while mine was in pieces and we both learned a lesson. I would still lend it to him but he won't let it out of his sight next time.

Back