• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WOW! RTX SE Set-up

Dennis

Veteran
Guys, first I want to thank all of you that post such great info on these sled. I rode on New Years weekend about 200 miles up in Maine. Liked the sled alot as I posted back then but the handling was really not up to par, comparing it to my REV X. So, I read about a thousand posts on the handling suggestions here on this site. This weekend I finally got back up to Maine and went to work. I felt comfortable on what I had read and felt that doing a bunch of changes at once would be a pretty safe bet, since a bunch of folks were providing similar feedback. So, this is what I did:

1. Changed the front skis to Pilot 5.7's. I utilized Shaper 6" in the center and Woody's 6 inch on the outer side, I picked this out of speculation that the carbides would work well configured not to fight each other. I utilized the factory ZX chassis rubbers.

2. Set the front shock pressure to 65 PSI

3. Up one hole on the front limiter strap.

4. Reset the front shock to 8 clicks out compression and 10 out on rebound.

5. reduced the rear center springload so that about 4 threads were showing, about 3/8 inch off of the way the dealer had set it up.

6. left the rear torsion on M

7. I did NOT get the chance to play with any of the rear skid compression or rebound settings as I was frozen(did this all outside). So, I assume they are in the correct "stock" positions.

After spending about 150 miles on the sled, I ended up making a bunch of changes to see how the front end reacted. I settled on 7 clicks out compression and 12 out rebound. With those, I felt the best amount of front end bite, best steering effort, and the least amount of ski lift.

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW. This is a totally different sled. Really, I can't believe it. I rarely, if ever, felt any inside ski lift, the sled tracked incredible through the corners, no darting, just awesome. The steering was about 25% lighter than before and was never nervous at all. I weigh 200 lbs without gear, no bottoming or ride quality issues. I still feel the rear skid needs some tweeking as it is nervous a bit over successive 1ft studders...

Hope this helps someone else out!

Dennis

What do you weigh with gear on?
Are you studded?
When you say you went up one hole on the limiter I assume you tightened the limiter which in turn pulled the front end of the sled down?
Thanks,
md

I am going to try and do this set-up. I have some of it done,Rest is easy to do. I am going to do this and let you know what I found.

was really not liking my se untill i borrowed aset of pilots from a friend , what a different sled it just carves in the turn now, Get rid of your stock skis to anyone with them still , they suck!

Good luck, I really like this set up, I want to play with the rear skid like I said originally. Unfortunately I wont be riding for two weeks. My settings are not exactly like what others have done, I don't think you need to drop the front shock pressure down to 55lbs. What most are doing, is dropping down really low with pressure and then ratcheting up the compression and rebound to make up for that. Esentially, that is taking the travel out of the suspension. Customarily, at least by my experiences with race car set up, you run the compression and rebound in opposition to each other, if the compression is hard you make the rebound soft/faster and vise versa. With these gas pressurized shocks, the pressure is "the spring", so think about what results you'd have by putting really weak springs in your sled in a conventional set up, that is the same as dropping the pressure down low. The only way then to make it handle in a performance setting would be to add really stiff shocks to compensate for the lack of spring.

I could nt get my SE to handle with 5.7 Pilots. I took them off and went back to the stock ski with woodys 8 inch duallys. I now have a sled that will turn and not push in the corners. I set my front floats to 55lbs and went up one hole in both limiter straps. I also softened the front skid shock. MY sled went from being unrideable to enjobale to ride. put 170 miles on it Saturday, first time I really enojed the sled.

I got terrible push in the corners if there was any loose snow in the corner.On my sled the pilots only seemed to work if the snow was rock hard.

ran your set up with pilot skis with dual 8" carbides on each ski, only differance is i have my front limiter pulled two holes and back stock, played with front shock pressure 40/50/75 75 makes it a little less push in soft snow but a lot twitchier, liked 40 the best very perdictable handeling, just ordered 9" duce bars to try, with the woods dualys does it handel the same as with pilots just without the push, or does it make it twitchy again, how about turning effort more ot less than pilots?

THis weekend, my sled handled like crap. But the snow was real loose. My mind was off of the handedling becaise if I rode above 3/4 throttle my sled would keep backfiring and cutting out. THe worse part is this doesnt seem like a tors issue as no codes are flashing when this happens. My Nytro is the first yamaha I am starting to regret buying.

there is a update on se models to add a brace where the tunnel bends up in the back, there is a thread on here about it, wish they let me know before mine bent, my dealer is going to look into it in the am

Back