• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wow, what a difference $3k makes....

cjjeeper

Veteran
I have an 09 XTX that I decided needed I needed a new set of skis for to help with the handling. Since there has been no snow, and there are a lot of threads with some great upgrades and builds,..well I got a little carried away.

Upgrades/Mods:

Hygear Triple Rate Spring upgrade on front shocks
Curve XS skies
Zborz 39" +3 Arms (2013 version)
OFT Relocator
Excel 8 Wheel Kit
Dupont Hyfax
Brake Light relocate - 21 LED
Back Country Track
Rebuild/lubrication of rear suspension
Star Suspension XTX linkage kit
EXIT center shock
EXIT rear shock
Ulmer Racing K&N kit
Dual electrode NGK plugs
Schmitt Bros Stage II clutch kit - ordered not yet received.

I want to thank everyone for all the threads. Could not have done it without all the information here.

I also want to say that my sled is a transformed machine in my opinion. Here are some of my observations:

The rear suspension actually works now which it obviously did practically nothing before. Huge improvement there. The EXITS are beyond an upgrade, they totally transformed the suspension. Additionally in taking the suspension apart and greasing every zirc and greasing all the individual parts there was a noticeable difference in how the suspension cycled. The EXITS brought that all together. Additionally, one of the first things that came to my mind was the claim that the XTX handled like a short track but went off trail like a long track with the tipped up rails. Well with the Back country track and the suspension working, it did work like that. I was so impressed. (I have my track tightened to spec BTW). Also for anyone considering addressing only the center or the rear shock, do both. Re-valve and re spring or buy new ones, but do both at the same time. Neither shock is adequate for the application.

The STAR Kit obviously frees up the linkage to cycle much more freely. As I dissembled and lubricated the rear of the skid I couldn't help but wonder if you could get the stock progressive rate to work if lubricated. On the other hand that is a ridiculous amount of weight (dead weight now with the star kit) so it would be ideal to replace it with a single link. Of course then you would be recreating a CAT skid, so maybe you just do the skid replacement (and here we go....). Anyway the STAR kit works well.

The Zbroz front end is an excellent upgrade. I wanted the 39" front end for off trail and it hits the mark. The machine is very easy to roll over now. If you are primarily a trail rider I would not recommend the narrow front end and there is no track bar. Of note, there is a lot of negative camber in the spindles and I was initially concerned. I am currently at 4 threads exposed on the upper rod end and the negative camber works awesome. I am extremely pleased with this front end.

Obviously the rear shocks are under spec by about a factor of 2x (now that I have the EXITS). Opposed to that the front end is over-sprung by about a factor of 2x. The Hygear TR springs are an excellent upgrade (as many are aware.) I may get the front EXITS next year as I am so impressed with the rear performance but as Hygear points out the front shocks themselves are pretty good. I got good results changing comp and rebound settings with the new springs so there is nothing compelling there now to make the move to new shocks.

The OFT Relocator was the last thing I did and I vastly underestimated how much it brought to the table. If one were to use the preload settings on the front springs recommended elsewhere on this site and install the OFT Relocator you would have the front end handling issues at the very least under control (assuming your ball joints aren't worn out) and quite possibly licked. (Dealers choice there on far you want to go on that with your particular machine but just food for thought to the budget minded.) Additionally I highly recommend it because the handle bars don't line up to hit me in the balls anymore on full sweep. Best thing going for it.

The back country track is a great upgrade. Tunnel protectors had to come out; the paddles hit them. It hooks up extremely well on trail and off.

I love the Curve skis too. I had the MTX skis and there is no comparison in my opinion. (no leading edge.)

Noticeable power increase with the K&N kit and the plug upgrade. Also sounds a little more raw too which I like.

Off trail with the new front end geometry (lowered and +3" forward with new skis) trenching is greatly reduced. I didn't even have to dig myself out one time in 2 - 3 feet of snow. I would have trenched to the bottom in that previously. I believe the rear suspension also plays into this though; everything is just working together now. I just can't say enough about the rear end difference. Since it flexes, now it is not driving the skid down into the snow under the dead weight of sled and rider and with the front end lowered and the a-arms now free to travel with the TR springs and preload setting the track angle is reduced and the skis stay on top instead of pressing or being driven right down into the snow. Just completely different than the way the machine performed before front to back.

Obviously I'm not breaking new ground here. Everything is bolt on and has been done before but I wanted to sum up my results for anyone looking at any of these items.

I haven't received the clutch kit for install yet.

I am considering taking the machine to the freeride level with an extended and longer paddle track. Rick looks like he has a good solution for the skid. If I do that it will be over the summer or late fall. At this point this machine will do 70% of any and all riding and I am thinking a dedicated mountain sled is more appropriate since I love the way my XTX is set up now.

Again thanks everyone for the collective knowledge. Happy to answer any questions..

Back