• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

More on this getting ready for this season.
First let me say...
If I feel like going down one hole on my front straps, I should be able to as part of any normal set up procedures, just like any other sled out there with a limiter strap up front.

Yamaha so far, is only interested in giving out new straps under warrantee if they get too worn.
For me that is not good enough.

Even the Yamaha Canada rep. was asking how my double strap set up was working. As much as it works to a degree it is in no way the fix I was looking for.
It appears to me that the 2010 XTX uses the exact same parts.
My suggestions to Yamaha were ignored.
No fix or update was ever considered.
So... I'm taking the steps to do my own permanent fix.

It's a good thing I enjoy working on my sled and have the tools and a decent place to work in.
My plan is to only visit my dealer this year to buy all the parts I need in advance and never visit them again during the riding season.
But it seems most of my money is going to aftermarket companies rather than to Yamaha.
I am on a mission this year to solve or fix all the idiotic simple things that were missed with the R&D of this product.
I'll get the chassis right this year... Then next year I work on increasing power output.
Why? because this sled has certain attributes that I enjoy and appreciate that I could not find anywhere else.

Cheers

Update on my doubling of the straps that I posted pics of last season. I rode a total of 2400 miles and the straps I made look new. Yamaha wanted to replace a bunch of stock parts and put the stock straps back on. I said why would I put it back to the way it was when they broke twice in less than 300 miles? Then my dealer called and asked if I was going to let them do it. I said only if the parts were different than what I had on there. He did not know that answer. I said if he ever finds out to let me know. Thats where that stands. He mumbled something about yamaha may not warranty anything if I don't close the ticket. I said Yeah right! So I plan on riding it the way it is set up and not worring about it. Good luck.

kkraus said:
Update on my doubling of the straps that I posted pics of last season. I rode a total of 2400 miles and the straps I made look new. Yamaha wanted to replace a bunch of stock parts and put the stock straps back on. I said why would I put it back to the way it was when they broke twice in less than 300 miles? Then my dealer called and asked if I was going to let them do it. I said only if the parts were different than what I had on there. He did not know that answer. I said if he ever finds out to let me know. Thats where that stands. He mumbled something about yamaha may not warranty anything if I don't close the ticket. I said Yeah right! So I plan on riding it the way it is set up and not worring about it. Good luck.

He's probbaly right, because you are not following the advice of Yamaha, there maybe consequences to your next claim. You should of let them just change the parts and then after installed your own straps.

straps

This is kind of a spooky subjects here guys. I recently bought my XTX and have been just geeked about getting out and ripping on it this winter. Now I am a little worried about blowing out straps as I ride. "I may not be the kind to a machine when I ride them." I ride it like I stole it! :Rockon:

Now should I be worried about jumping on this and riding like I do? Not happy with this topic guys.

I am already going to get rid of the GYTR front shocks and changing to the Floats, loved the floats on my last nytro.

The more I read about my XTX the more I question whether I choose the right sled.............. (was this one or an XR-S)

Am I over reacting?????

Hey sled freak, so you are saying I should go through the trouble of loading up my sled, hauling it to the dealer and dropping it off, drive back and put the trailer away, then let them change everything back to the way it was including putting back all of my adjustments I finally got dialed in through out the season, wait a week for them to call and say that it's all set to go. Then hook the trailer back up and go get it, Unload it, put the trailer away, then change it back to the way I had it set up and spend more time dialing it back in the way it was before? Sounds like a waste of my time and gas to me. Especially if they just want to change the same parts. If they were different or new and improved I would be all for that. Dox06, I suggest you add the extra strap and ride, I ride pretty hard and had no problems since this fix.

Dox06, don't panic. You'll love the XTX.
Do as we have done.
The easy cheap fix is to add in the extra layer of strap. It works.
It keeps the straps stiff enough to stop all the rotations going on.
Just be sure they bend toward the rear during chassis compression.
Keep in mind, my strap issue was bigger becuase I did go down one hole.
But even that was stopped with the extra straps added on.
It was discoverd thanks to this site early enough that we could find a fix and not too much track lug damage occured.
You now have an early heads up on the issue and can be prepared.

Just keep an eye on things, and have some spare straps on hand just in case.
Then you can drive it like you stole it.

strap

guys, it sounds like your extra strap seems to be a fix, did u turn the strap bolts around or leave them in the standard position??? :Rockon:

Re: strap

rough rider said:
guys, it sounds like your extra strap seems to be a fix, did u turn the strap bolts around or leave them in the standard position??? :Rockon:

Don't turn the bolts around, and I also do not reccomend going with big fender washers.
Consider that the straps are close to the track lugs passing by on each side of the strap.
If you try a big wide fender washer that is wider than the straps.
There is a chance (if the strap goes up and around the top shaft) the bigger washers will destroy the drive lugs on your track very fast.
Keep the stock bolts and washers.
Adding the extra layer of strap also is effective as it shortens the amount of bolt length past the nut.
Cheers

Putting a new track on so I took my straps into the dealer since they were pretty beat up at 1100 miles.

They talked to the tech rep and said they believe it is hitting the drive wheels.

They replaced them, no problem at all.

I have fixed the issue permanently.
Now I can ride hard and use any hole setting I wish on the front straps without concern.
Straps will not hit the track and never be pulled up and over the top shaft again.
This is the fix that Yamaha should have done for the 2010 XTX.
But they didn't listen!!!

I had a local welder add on 2 more traps just like the top stock ones.
It's simple and effective.
**Note**
If you do this mod, just be sure you leave enough room to get your top shock bolt back in.

Here are some pics.

Cheers

Attachments

• Dscn4733.jpg
    Dscn4733.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Dscn4734.jpg
    Dscn4734.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Dscn4735.jpg
    Dscn4735.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 179
The short 121 Nytro only has one wide center front strap.
While, the XTX has no room for wider straps.
The lower shaft holding the straps is so close to the track drive lugs.
That wider straps would get hit.

I supose you could take wider straps and trim them narrow around the top and lower shaft to get them to fit.
But I'm not sure that would be any benifit.

Hmm well back to the drawing board. :o| Well it was an idea and I understand what your saying. Thanks Mach9 and I do like your idea your trying but unfortunatley I don't have the resources to try your idea. Thanks again. :Rockon:

nytro addict said:
Hmm well back to the drawing board. :o| Well it was an idea and I understand what your saying. Thanks Mach9 and I do like your idea your trying but unfortunatley I don't have the resources to try your idea. Thanks again. :Rockon:

You can't quite tell from the photos I posted, but I did leave the second layer of straps on. Just to be sure!!!

Back