• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

xtx suspension settings

ahicks said:
minimizing transfer also maximizes coupling on this skid

How does one adjust this stuff?? Sorry, but new to suspension adjustment...

Me too...SJ..it would be excellent if u had a video to post on exactly what adjustments a non mechanically inclined new owner would need to do to get the sled so that the steering is not so stiff...would really appreciate it and I am sure there r lots of guys like me out there...guys like u r y I come to this site...thanks

Glad it's just not me ;)!

Attachments

• MM Seat 1.jpg
    MM Seat 1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 174
  • MM Seat 2.jpg
    MM Seat 2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 161
  • MM Seat 3.jpg
    MM Seat 3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 156
  • MM Seat 4.jpg
    MM Seat 4.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 186
There used to be a link to a pdf or spreadsheet for xtx suspension settings but I can not find that now. The one at the beginning of this post does not not take you there anymore.

Does anyone know where the link is?

sj said:
loosen front shock springs ...with the front of the sled lifted....loosen til spring just about rattles loose...then slightly retighten...should be right around 3"

Where do you measure the 3"??

sj said:
tighten the center shock spring a good amount...again this is very rider weight and ski choice dependant

I'm approx 220lbs / 100kg fully geared up, how much preload do you recommend on the center shock? I guess this needs to be even stiffer when I ride 2-up?

sj said:
... try your torsion spring in the soft setting without compression....

Without compression, does that mean you turn the compression dial all the way out (counterclockwise)??

sj said:
also adjust your transfer to about 50% making sure they are adjusted evenly

How do you adjust the transfer? If this is explained in the owner's manual, sorry for asking but I don't have the owner's manual (the previous owner is still searching for it... :o|)

sj said:
I also recommend taking all the compression and rebound out of the front shocks and then adding to taste later......

Taking out compression = turn the dial all the way out = softer damping. Right?

Taking out rebound = turn the dial all the way in = slower rebound. Right?

:rocks:

Wow,

just read this again,

It makes a big difference how and where you ride, sounds like SJ dosnt ride twisty or bumpy trails much, ( breaking trail and straights )

I found the stock springs and shocks way too soft, I think many people confuse the XTX's harsh front suspension with bottoming out, which the stock set up does almost constantly when ridden at meduim speeds and up. Set up a small wire tie on the shock shaft as a tell tale and ride the sled at 30 mph over some small bumps, then check the tell tale, it will be buried into the bottom out bump rubber. Installing stiffer shock valving and springs on a XTX will only make it ride smoother because it wont be bottoming all the time.

mj

I am going to try SJ's setup this year. I just got the XTX and will use this for my baseline. I notice most of the riders are 200+lbs. Im a little guy, 5'6 160lbs. Any suggestions with where I should start with the center shock?

I just adjusted mine today and it made a huge difference with the steering. It feels way lighter. I cranked the springs almost all the way out, then snugged them up a little. Approx 2 5/8" from the shock top gear washer to the adjustable one. Also I cranked the center shock on my skid about half inch or a little more tighter. My shocks on the front are set to one click from soft, and rear skid shock set to soft. Springs are set a medium and rear skid nuts cranked up to the red line. I am about 240-250 with gear. I had my daughter on with me this evening which adds about 100 lbs and only bottomed out a couple times. I could stiffen it up more if I am gonna carry passengers but for just me it rode nice and makes the steering way better. Gonna keep playing around with the skid though, it's amazing the difference those adjustments made. Try it out if you haven't it's not hard to do and there is so many things to adjust that can make your ride totally different.

I tried the zero pre load in the front, cranked it down in the center, and played with the comp-rebound for a whole day. This set up increased push for me. We ride fast and hard, as soon as i eased on the gas it would go staright. which actually is what should happen with that set up. I reversed it and added front preload, lessoned center pre, and tightened strap one hole and bam, i can turn.

I have zero preload in front with the cheap coil over shocks on the 13XTX. Center shock @ max. Rear torsion @ medium. Compression in rear shock 2 clicks from min and transfer rods in the stock position with limiter straps stock too. I also have tuner skis with 6 inch inside carbides and 0 outside and 114 studs in the track. Sled turns easy rides great with very little pushing. I am 245 suited up and have only bottomed it a couple of times. It works great for my riding but everyone rides different and certain years have different front shocks along with different skis. When I lake ride for the day I set the rear suspension @ soft and get great transfer for dragging my buddies. This thing rips 0-90.

That's crazy how everyone has there own sweet spot! We're just about opposite on set-ups and yet both pleased. I think being a very light rider makes a big difference in getting the machine to set in the corners. When I tried your set-up the thing would go straight if I even thought about the throttle. Just horrible. I had to go in super hard and coast through. I don't like the idea of goin in that hard. I'd rather come in easier and be able to get on it at the apex without going into the trees. Lol

Weight has a lot to do with it and so does the fact that I am 52 now and don't ride
as hard as I use to!!

OMG,

I tried most of the things on the last 10 pages and nothing did much to improve my XTX, Then installed JRE spindles and XTX skid kit, $399.00
All issues solved and sled is wonderful now, follow their setup advice, it works. I'm using stock ski's !!! and the sled is wonderful now :)

I have a set of those spindles. Paper weights right now. Would rather drive it stock then support his product.

Back