• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

xtx suspension settings

trying to help others out who might be frustrated with the out of the box handling and ride of their xtx...
the information I have provided others has helped them

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=730025#730025

although the info is somewhat skewed as my shocks have been revalved from zero miles...here goes..

observations..

the front shocks have too much spring and spring rate and the shock feels valved too stiff...the a arms should be much closer to level with the ground....lots of ski pressure ...I imagine darting and unpredictable..

the center shock/spring setting is somewhat too weak (weight of rider has tremendous impact here)
this causes the shock to blow through its stroke too soon and a heavy steering and I imagine a darting machine

too much compression and rebound...

solution (avg rider assumed)

loosen front shock springs ...with the front of the sled lifted....loosen til spring just about rattles loose...then slightly retighten...should be right around 3"...the problem is there is not enough to let out. as a low cost tuning option...pioneer performance offers a 2.3kg/mm vs the stockers 2.5kg/mm which should give more tuning range...

tighten the center shock spring a good amount...again this is very rider weight and ski choice dependant...even after revalving I tightened mine half again as much as stock! small changes will make a big difference...going too far will not allow the shock to stroke(ride on) and make the sled push in the corners and "high side"
for heavier riders or if someone wants to experiment..I believe pioneer offers a 3.0 vs a 2.5 kg shock spring here ?

I recommend after making some spring adjustments doing the following...

if you are unhappy with "sitting on" vs "sitting in" your suspension...you will like this....it goes against some other suggestions of setting ride height...but I like sitting in...and assuming you are around 200-210 try your torsion spring in the soft setting without compression....after a run over some terrain...add in a some compression ...you can always increase torsion and compression...but start here IMHO

also adjust your transfer to about 50% making sure they are adjusted evenly...I believe the transfer adjustment affects more than transfer....so the more transfer reduce the coupling affect but lightens the machine up...again..start here...add to taste after the rest of the adjustments...

I also recommend taking all the compression and rebound out of the front shocks and then adding to taste later......

lastly...I feel the skis to be totally inadequate for the amount of weight carried on them (not saying you cant do things to make them preform better...just not what the aftermarket skis do) I personally run simmons...and have for yrs...other good choices are doo pilots...c&a xtx's ...maybe powderhounds and powder pros... even the yam mountain skis... need a ski with more width IMHO

the way the sled feels from the factory to me is high and long...pushing and not using the suspension...with the changes I made it made the sled turn well and felt 50lbs and a foot shorter lol hope this helps some!

I have a diforent shock set up on my front end on the 2013 XTX 1.75 and like boondocking more than trailing ,I also love the way it wheelies but want the best of both worlds ,any suggestions for my style ???

OMG,

I tried most of the things on the last 10 pages and nothing did much to improve my XTX, Then installed JRE spindles and XTX skid kit, $399.00
All issues solved and sled is wonderful now, follow their setup advice, it works. I'm using stock ski's !!! and the sled is wonderful now :)

What does the JRE skid kit FREE look like and what parts are included???

GoGoJoe,

The XTX Skid kit came free with the JRE Spindle set. The skid kit is mostly relocation instructions for the XTX skid along with two bolts and spacers that allow you to relocate the skid. Very slick how they worked it out, don't even drill any new holes.

Reading through the ten previous pages last night made me laugh because I've tried most of it and none of it made much of a difference, installed these spindles which were one of the cheapest mods I ever did to the sled and it totally transformed my sled into something I want to keep instead of something I'm constantly fighting.

Heard those JRE Spindles aren't the fix all for front end handling issues!

It Works and its cheap, and it did solve all my problems along with their tutorial on the setup. Check it out yourself.

Hey guys, just some feedback on what has worked for me this season.
6'1" 220lbs - aggressive stand up riding
I am 80% trails, 20% play.
------------------------
Ski springs are at softest preload (while lifted off ground). Clickers are 2 turns from full soft both comp. and reb.
Front shock is very stiff preload and i ended up turning it back down to about medium preload (1" from stiffest)
Rear shock is 5 turns from soft, springs at medium on the block, transfer is backed out to full (most transfer)
------------------------
With this setup I was getting great transfer and carrying the skis no problem over bumps and hills. Unfortunately was getting crazy inside ski lift in corners.
So my sway bar snapped after taking some big rolling hills with the skis way up off the ground doing 50+.
My sled has never handled better than it does now. I have the sway bar totally off and kept all other settings.
Was in the U.P. Michigan this weekend and was cornering on rails doing upwards of 80mph.
I am keeping this setup, and although it might feel a bit shaky for some guys, i am getting absolutely ZERO tipping in corners.
Happy riding!

Back