• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Snowmobile Transmission?

Website
www.higherpowerllc.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Nytro MTX SE 162" MCXpress 270 kit
Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

I recently got emailed an ad for American Snowmobiler Magazine and the head line was "The Future of Snowmobiling"

I scrolled down the article and noticed a newly designed speedo. I looked closer at the picture and saw that it had a gear selector and that it was in neutral. I then did an double take and noticed a Yamaha tuning fork next to it.

Maybe this is old news, but I did a search and didn't seen anything on it.

Yamaha Speedo.png

This looks like it could be an existing street bike or something in seeing the ignition placement. I also see the lap clock.

I think I maybe wishfully thinking here. Fun idea for discussion though!! Have a great summer everyone!!

If you read the article it talks about how things move from one Motorsport to another.

Yup even the IDD display on my 2015 Polaris PRo S 800 would show 4 wheel drive lock on the screen when you updated the gps map. The unit was used on many of the 4 wheelers for years prior to it being installed in 2015 on the snow mobile line.

4 or 5 years ago I ran into a guy up in the yooper with a home made sled. It had the 137 Cat skid front arms and spindles off a renegade, the chassis was all tube with open mesh running boards. It had a Honda CB 1000 motor and gear box with cycle throttle and clutch and rode like a dirt bike it was awesome. His coolant overflow bottle was a spun aluminum bud light bottle and there were no body panels just mesh fabric stretched and attached with Velcro. everything was accessible in 2 seconds the headlights were 2 REMA spots mounted on the handlebars show always showing where you were going.

Not going to see the R1 motor at 185hp NA in the Snowmobile without a massive gear reducer and I don't think Yamaha wants the motor sitting at 13,500 rpm. They could have done this years ago and instead reduced the revs by 2,000 rpm for better torque range and engine life is my guess! Next why someone would think a 6 speed transmission is better then a CV drive has me wondering. CV drive keeps motor in the max power range all the time 6 speed does not, it falls behind at every shift, never mind back-shifting from cruise speed or any other application of power. Never mind how hard it would be on the clutch trying to ease out of deep snow or get a stuck track full of slush to turn. Hundred dollar belt is easier and cheaper to replace then a clutch. CV has an almost instantaneous back-shift and mags, snowmobile makers and sledders are always raving about back shift, back-shift from 6th to 3rd or 4rth takes way to much time. In the powder it would be even hard to up-shift as that instant of lost power would be the difference between stuck or forward acceleration. A CV trans against a Manual the CV wins. I think CV's are going to be with us for a lot longer till someone figures out how to make a 12 speed automatic that weighs as much as a CV unit.

Now the gauge pod may make it to the sleds, I think its ugly but I like the way the lights show up against the black much easier to read then the ones in the digital dash now.

4 or 5 years ago I ran into a guy up in the yooper with a home made sled. It had the 137 Cat skid front arms and spindles off a renegade, the chassis was all tube with open mesh running boards. It had a Honda CB 1000 motor and gear box with cycle throttle and clutch and rode like a dirt bike it was awesome. His coolant overflow bottle was a spun aluminum bud light bottle and there were no body panels just mesh fabric stretched and attached with Velcro. everything was accessible in 2 seconds the headlights were 2 REMA spots mounted on the handlebars show always showing where you were going.
That would be something to see on the trail.

Wow,you took that way to serious,I just thought it would be kinda cool.

Maybe I did and need to lighten up, everyone can dream, I love to dream! Cool is a small block V-8 in a sled. Reality say sure but not practical or really sled-able. But cool it is! Is a R1 bike motor in a sled cool? Yes it is! Will it work? Yep it will! Is the present Apex a better sled without it? Yes it is!

Would I buy an Apex with a R1 motor from a bike complete with 6 speed transmission? This is the point when reality sets in! I should show you my rough plans for a Sled motored Garden Tractor!

Now if people didn't dream life would be dull and no one would have built this Dear John!untitled2.jpg untitled3.jpg ltrs-01.jpg

I've seen the car,or one like it on you tube,the jd is pretty cool too! If you have pics of what your building I would like to see them.

OK, here is why I would love a 6 speed transmission and 190-200 horse R1 engine in a sled chassis. Being that I also race a GSXR rocket, it would be cool to have the clutch with 6 speed to range the horsepower at any mph and have 0 slipage to the track. You wouldn't need the belt drive-secondary shaft-chaincase anymore if you had your sprockets correct from the transmission to the drive axle (only thing you would lose is reverse). Add an electronic shift solonoid, push button up/down with auto rpm shift on hard runs and you would only have to pull in the clutch at idle, stopping or take off.

Back