• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha "tuner" ski question

MT.man

Pro
I just received the skiis I ordered in Oct. Parts guy set me up with a set of 4" and a set of 2" ( I know that sounds like too little carbide but it almost oversteers) any way , I just assumed that the 4" runner would go on the outside of the ski and the 2" on the inside but after reading a acticle in Sno-tech where they say the longer carbide goes on the inside I'm not sure . Anyone out there running these skiis and if so what combination of runners are you useing ??

I have the following set up:

6 inches on a square bar on the inside and 4 inches on a round bar on the outside.

It's like running on rail's. No picks on my track. I love the new ski's. :jump:

There is no right or wrong to this. I am running 6 inside and 4 out. The cool thing is all you need to do is swap the skis from one side to the other to reverse the bars.
What track length, studs (or lack-of) shock pre-load and susp adjustment, rider weight style and last but not least, snow conditions will effect the amount of push or over-steer. I've had the chance to try them on several different models including the trailing arm chassis. I'm liking them a lot overall (especially on my Apex)

cheers cr

Yamaha Sled Talk Blog said:
There is no right or wrong to this. I am running 6 inside and 4 out. The cool thing is all you need to do is swap the skis from one side to the other to reverse the bars.
What track length, studs (or lack-of) shock pre-load and susp adjustment, rider weight style and last but not least, snow conditions will effect the amount of push or over-steer. I've had the chance to try them on several different models including the trailing arm chassis. I'm liking them a lot overall (especially on my Apex)

cheers cr

I just ordered the new skis (backorder until 3/13) and don't want to increase the steering effort if I don't need to. I'm currently running stock skis and 6" Stud Boy duece bars. How is the steering effort compared to stock with the 6 inside and 4 outside? Thanks

Snorover said:
I think that set up will be about the same as your Stud Boy duece bars, at least it was the same for me.

Thanks snorover. I'm going to try the 6 inside/4 outside setup also.

I just picked up a pair of these today, my dealer hooked me up!
I will be running 6" inside and 4" outer. I like the fact that the skis are a full 1 inch wider than the stock skis. Hopefully I will get a chance to test them this weekend.

Just got back from northern Maine today , rode 750 miles and all I can say is "I love these skiis" . I switched my skiis left to right to give me 4" inside and 2" outside and that seemed to lessen the oversteer feeling. Fort Kent had tons of fresh snow and the wider ski worked great in the powder. All Yamaha sleds should come with these skiis from the factory.

Yamaha Sled Blog post indicated he had tried the tuner skis on the TRAILING ARM SUSPENSION SLEDS. I don't see that app listed in the Yamaha Accesory. What would it take to put the new tuners on an older 2000 v-max (wifes)? Need to minimize the darting for her. RR

Tuner Skis Nytro XTX

Had them for month and was going to wait to use them next year but got first good snow so couldn't resist.
Did any of you have to change the rubber boot?
Mine felt looser as with the stock ski as it was snug in length...it fit the opening perfect...the tuner ski has a longer indent so not sure if I have to shim it with some ruber underneath as worried the ski might move?
Would appreciate an answer if you had similar issue?
thanks
Jeff

btw put 4" inside...2" out
took it for a spin and it felt like a new sled on the hard pack...couldn't really tell in deep stuff as didn't venture off trail as on own.

I didn't have to do anything except swap them with the old skis.
I rode them a couple of hundred miles this past weekend and all I can say is "WOW" ! Night and day difference. I never really had any hard hard pack, first day was lightly packed powder and they did good, way less darting. The second day it was warm and had to ride on mashed potatoes, still liked them. As the night came the snow was setting up and this is where these skis shined, turned like it's on rails. I had to learn to drive all over again!
If anyone wants a pair, my dealer has one pair in stock. PM me for his number, I'm sure he will ship.

I let my wife ride the 2011 with tuner skiis last weekend and now it seems i will have to get used to riding the 06 again . Its all good , I love the Lennon quote and I use it alot as well .

Back