• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Oil light flashing

Alloy

VIP Member
I took my Viper out on Saturday, I'm following the 0-160KM break in avoiding prolonged operation above 6000 RPM, varying the throttle to not run the sled at the same speed for long periods. I was able to put on about 30 KMs riding around my property and in the ditches. Sled was great but really I'm not going to be a good judge as last year was my first year riding and I was on an 01 Vmax 700.

On Sunday I went back out and rode more, I was in the ditch going from one side to the other so the sled was at an angle and banking every so often, did this for about 10 minutes. When I stopped the sled RPM dropped to 800, the oil indicator light started flashing and the sled stalled, turned the key off and waited, was not able to get the sled started immediately after it stalled. I shut the key off and waited a couple minutes, tried starting it again and no go. After a few more minutes tried to turn it over again, would not fire until I gave it a little gas as it was turning over, sled started, oil indicator light did not come on so I drove it back up to my house and shut it off. I waited about 30 minutes and fired it up again, waited till RPM around 1500 and rode around a bit and it ran fine.

Today I followed up with my dealer who forwarded my experience to Yamaha head office, they will update me when they get a response.

Will be back on it tonight for a bit, I will update later on what the dealer says.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 280

I had my dad riding my viper yesterday for about 5 mins while I was riding the wife's Phazer. Stopped for a bit to talk and when we went to leave he went to start the viper and if fired but then didn't take off. I'm thinking he just let off the key too early but then we tried a few times and couldn't get it started. Then I just held the throttle on and turned it over and it took right off. I put on prolly 10 miles after that and was stopping and starting the sled every 2-3 miles and didn't have any trouble. But not starting that one time did make me nervous. Keep us updated with any info on this

Mine did the same thing when I was unloading it from the truck, rolled, didn't fire, tried it again with a bit of gas and off it went...

That has been a problem I have had on both apexes and my 3 polaris rush's. You have to bump the flipper to set the fuel injection.

My father and I have never had that issue with either of our apexs or any of our yamahas for that matter. Is it possible it's just something that's showing up with everything being brand new and not fully broke in? Hope it's not a permanent thing that could be an issue

Studroes144 said:
I had my dad riding my viper yesterday for about 5 mins while I was riding the wife's Phazer. Stopped for a bit to talk and when we went to leave he went to start the viper and if fired but then didn't take off. I'm thinking he just let off the key too early but then we tried a few times and couldn't get it started. Then I just held the throttle on and turned it over and it took right off. I put on prolly 10 miles after that and was stopping and starting the sled every 2-3 miles and didn't have any trouble. But not starting that one time did make me nervous. Keep us updated with any info on this

Sounds like the prototype at the demo, one of the vipers just kept stilling and was really hard to start. I thought they were supposed to fix that?

Mine did not stall at all and I never had an issue with starting it when I was on it, just the one time my dad was one it it didn't start for him. Could be he let off the key too quick before it was actually started but then when he went to start it again he tried a couple times and it wouldn't start so I just gave it some gas when he was turning it over and it started right up..actually the sled took right off and he almost fell off the back.

Try by turning the key to first position and let the fuel pump cycle, once it stops cycleling continue to turn key to start.

Pstn head said:
Try by turning the key to first position and let the fuel pump cycle, once it stops cycleling continue to turn key to start.

That's the way I always started my Cat............cycle the fuel pump first and then start.

Interesting little issues coming up and not just one individual but several folks with the same problem.

Hhhhhmmmmmm ??

Yes that is what we've always done too is let the pump cycle. Maybe he did not let it run the full cycle before he tried to start it. But like I said that's the only time it did that and it never happened to me so I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an issue coming up but the chance is there

My apex and both nytro's I always let the fuel pump cycle before starting and never had any issues. When it's been sitting out overnight in the cold, I will turn on the key, let it cycle, turn the key off, then turn it on again before starting...helps a ton when starting it cold.

The oil indicator sounds like a totally separate problem. For you guys coming off two strokes that aren't familiar with these motors...you don't wanna start them up for 20 seconds and then shut it off...you need to let it get up to temp first. You'll load the thing up big time if you keep doing it over and over.

freelance said:
not gonna panic......haven't even got the damn thing yet !!!!

I hear ya man...mine is nowhere in sight and these guys already have seat time in...4 business days until our snowmobile trails officially open...this is getting VERY OLD!!!!! :o|

fxnytroxtx said:
Studroes144 said:

Sounds like the prototype at the demo, one of the vipers just kept stilling and was really hard to start. I thought they were supposed to fix that?

No the demos u rode had an issue with the seat shorting out the battery by touching the terminals. Once the fixed that there were no more issues the rest of the weekend. Be glad u weren't on the 1100t cat that caught the one kid on fire after the towed it back because it blew out the $200 belt

Back