• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Misfire - UPDATE - Over Rev

MNUser

Expert
Anybody else seeing this? Mine was dropped off at the dealer again today. Noticed it a couple days ago. Engine miss fires when you crack the throttle. It has two distinct miss fires in a row. Dealer rode it and was able to get it to replicate many times. He is not sure why.

I'm bummed to say the least. This was my dream sled and I saved a lot of money to get one. Had high hopes for it.

Sorry to hear, I am sure it is something simple that the dealer will be able to resolve quickly for you. Let us know what they did to resolve it. No problems so far on mine with about 150 miles on her.....

I agree probably something stupid. I have just shy of 1000 miles and no problems. So hopefully you will get it back soon! :o|

I hope your right and I get it back soon. My dealer had a call into yamaha. Good thing he is a super guy.

Dealer checked the TORS and did not think that was it. Ran over to the dealer and we put it up on the jack stand and when you nailed it the speedo would read zero but the track would be flying along. When the speedo would catch up the sled would hiccup twice and the speedo and RPM would read correctly. Let it go back to idle then nail it and the speedo would read zero and the RPM would read idling speed. When they would "kick in" and catch up it would hiccup again twice.

Nobody really knows why. They have ideas and will order some parts for the speedo pick up and see if that fixes it. They thought it might be the ECU as well.

So, there you go. Updated info but no real resolution to be had. I'm beginning to think that this sled just might be Arctic Cat junk in Yamaha plastic.

MNUser said:
Dealer checked the TORS and did not think that was it. Ran over to the dealer and we put it up on the jack stand and when you nailed it the speedo would read zero but the track would be flying along. When the speedo would catch up the sled would hiccup twice and the speedo and RPM would read correctly. Let it go back to idle then nail it and the speedo would read zero and the RPM would read idling speed. When they would "kick in" and catch up it would hiccup again twice.

Nobody really knows why. They have ideas and will order some parts for the speedo pick up and see if that fixes it. They thought it might be the ECU as well.

So, there you go. Updated info but no real resolution to be had. I'm beginning to think that this sled just might be Arctic Cat junk in Yamaha plastic.

In the auto world that would be a speed sensor failure, and rather common.

MNUser said:

LOL, sure glad you guys didn't buy the first year Phazer before all the updates.....eh cannondale? ;)!

MNUser said:

Try unhooking the Speedo sensor. Works on an Apex, not sure about the Viper.

Where do I do that? I should at least give it a try. Maybe it will not do it while it is disconnected so one can truly see if that is the issue.

I have the sled at home now while they ordered the parts. The parts should be in late next week.

Thanks for all the info. Will update once I have more info.

Trace the wires back from the sensor until you get to a plug. [assuming there is one like on the Apex]

Unhook it at the plug & give it a try.

Back