• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wiring rub fix.

YAM182

Expert
ST. Lawrence County,New York. Also own land on Tug
Dealer fixed this while sled was in for the lower joints.
Here is a pic of a possible wiring rub area.
Dealer said there was a bulliten.
Looks like dealer moved wire and tie wraped out of the way and off the nub.
Look over clutch at left front bottom of motor under the harness
and you will see the nub.Some have cut it off and or just relocate the harness tight out of the way.
This problem was mentioned on TY about a year ago.
DSC02924-1.jpg

Thank you very much for the pic. I have wondered about this "possible" issue myself.

Again, thanks.

Thanks also, as I have a question of whether or not my sled had the update done as it was in to two different dealers for updates. Thanks again.............

Thanks so much for posting the pic. I'm about to tear into the Nytro to just see where everything is in this sled and do a few mods. Knowing right where the problem is makes it much eaiser to fix, I'm going to cut a piece of hose alittle longer than the area then cut it in half, tape it the wire tie it out of the way like in the photo. I don't want any issues when I'm way off trail. :rocks:

Yea mine had a probem with hand warmer code coming up. That was the problem spot!!

Skydog

Another big thanks to Yam 182 for the pic. Just curious as to what exaclty the purpose is of that little nub other than to tear up the wire harness? Can it be cut off and filed down without any worries?

rz918 said:
Another big thanks to Yam 182 for the pic. Just curious as to what exaclty the purpose is of that little nub other than to tear up the wire harness? Can it be cut off and filed down without any worries?
Just zip tie the wire away buddy.

rz918 said:

Its a casting nub. Should never have left the factory like that. Just cut or file it off.

Roest said:
rz918 said:

Its a casting nub. Should never have left the factory like that. Just cut or file it off.

Last season our northern trip was cut a bit short because of this wire rub. The crappy thing was that my wifes sled had the ball joints replaced last Fall and the dealer did the fix with the wire tie. We still had the wire rub through so after having it fixed I cut that little useless nub off. Now I'm hoping I'll never have that problem again!

jds1000 said:
Roest said:
rz918 said:

Last season our northern trip was cut a bit short because of this wire rub. The crappy thing was that my wifes sled had the ball joints replaced last Fall and the dealer did the fix with the wire tie. We still had the wire rub through so after having it fixed I cut that little useless nub off. Now I'm hoping I'll never have that problem again!

I took the motor mount off, got rid of the nub and the sharp edge of the mount with a die grinder and sanding disc. No place for wires to chafe now.

Just got done taking care of mine also. It sure looked like this would have been an issue very soon, the nub was already digging into the harness.
Cut and filed it off and wire-tied harness out of the way so no possibliltiy of happening.
Thanks all for pointing this out!

Found this thread while nosing around the forum and decided to see if 'Betty-Lou' was in danger. She's a 2012 XTX and is a bit different than the original picture posted by YAM182. The wire was tied, but I found with it being tied like the photo at top it was actually holding the cable against a bolt head that was rubbing. I removed the tie and rerouted it around a black bar located toward the front of the machine instead - hoping for better results. As you can see, there is no 'casting nub' on my machine. The tail end of the tie is pointing at 7:00, and the white rub mark is beside it on the right.
a.jpg

Guess I'll go have a look too. Wasn't aware of this potential problem.

Back