• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 Mtn questions

maelstrom57

First time posting so please be patience. I'm looking at lighting up my stock machine for mostly general usage. I enjoy moderate hill climbing, boondocking, etc. and look at groom trail travel as a means of getting to the good areas. I'm in my early 50's so I'm not looking at becoming the newest highmarker, just don't enjoy being a spectator. (Which I never am) Looking for some opinions concerning everyones experience relating to some mods for my machine. I've been reading all the various posts and appreciate the knowledge that's available so here goes.
1) Front suspension - leave it stock or what's my best bank for $, barkbuster, MPI, etc.
2) Will a Timbersled rear skid improve the machine that much better than a AC unit. Better opinions??
3) I'm not sure if I really need to go longer concerning the track so I guess it's more of track selection.

I realize most of these issues have been discussed before but since most of the topics are fairly old, I figured there may be new opinions based on newer gear being available.

Start here and most of your questions will be answered:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ght=animal

You will definitely be unhappy with the stock machine.

1) There are plenty of things that will be better bang for your buck before you get to the front suspension.

2) Many have been happy with the AC skid used in the $400 range.

3) 159" track is a very popular mod, I have seen a few 162" too.

If it were my sled I would buy rail extensions to 162, a 162x15 track and a gear change to 19 on top and 42 on the bottom. If you change your front end buy the barkbuster. I have had the mpi and the bolts have been bent with regular riding. Replacement parts from mpi = lots of $$$$$, you cant just buy what you wreck. I run the same set up and can keep up with revs and poos.

info

Thanks for the replies. I'm certainly up on Kachess's modifications but since his original post started in 2006, I was wondering if anyone had come up with any new and improved versions. On the 162" extension, my initial thought was that it may make the sled a little too hard to maneuver. I'm thinking an upgrade to 153" with a better track would be a good compromise as our "mountains" here in Newfie are not what you boys out west are use to riding. I've got some minor damage to my front end already, right ski spindle, and my seat is torn up pretty badly so thought these areas might be a good starting point. I'm interested in the under tunnel exhaust so need to decide so I get the appropriate seat. Thoughts??

I am very happy with my glasspack, dropped 14 pounds, but had to add a baffle to get rid of the resonance.

x2 on the barkbuster front - easy people to deal with and you can buy individual replacement parts if necessary.

so you are at minus 26 pounds from just those two mods, I am down 79 pounds and having a ball

Thanks bdm. How do you find the barkbuster for durability? I'm pretty tough on gear & our snow conditions get pretty hard sometimes. i.e. It's a pretty good sign if it last for me. lol Also, as I have some slight damage to my tunnel extension, nothing major, just carried a little too much weight on it one time with some hard trail riding, I may also drop a bit of $$ here for a slight # drop.

I don't tend to be too hard on suspension so I can't really give an opinion on that. I believe that you don't want it to be too durable because if you it it hard enough something has got to give, if the A-Arm doesn't give then the bulkhead will - I would rather change the A-arm than the bulkhead.

I agree with you on that front. Just concerned that by going lighter I may be giving up reliability when compared to stock. I have no issues with OEM as that's one of the selling points with Yamaha when compared to other manufacturers. I've seen other makes kiss a few rocks, etc resulting in bent/broken front suspensions, and from past history of similar nudges, I would not of even looked at my front end.[/code]

barkbuster

the barkbuster a-arms are very strong,and if you look through the site you can find a fix to toughen up the bulkhead by joining the 2 lower a-arm bolts together.With that being said,the barkbuster spindle is a weak point.They use a long3/8 grade 8 bolt to join the a-arms to the spindle,with some aluminum pieces in between.I bend the bolts every ride,so this summer i will be changing the way the a-arms bolt to the spindle,i will use 2 short 7/16 bolts,and weld stronger plates to the spindle,and it should be dam near bullit proof,which is what i need for running over the trees that jump out in front of me.

I put an 09 skid W 162x16 track, Wild child rider forward kit, the sled is awsome. my riding partner has the Barkbuster on an Apex It has a bump steer issue. and after 1 season the himes got realy loose. He just put the stock front end back on. Next on my list is the gear changes and under tunnel exhaust. im going to go with the 19- 42 gears. I also put the Gen 2 Simmons on. the 16" wide track is a bit tight, hasd to do some grinding.

I read these type of posts and it makes me a little leery of doing the barkbuster replacement. Does anyone else have any to add relating to their experience on this front end suspension issue... Any other potential options as I have to do some repairs anyway.$$
Also, SlatRat, do you find the Simmons Gen 2 to be a lot better than the stock skis. My 05's give me pretty good floatation but they're down right dangerous on crusty snow. How would you rate the simmons on crust and hard snow?

in the death crust they are way better than the stockers. the duel carbides cut down the darting on the trails, and they have way more float in the powder. you dont get bucked around as bad when you are 2nd or 3rd in the deep stuff if you know what i mean. I will put mi stock skis back on when there is marginal snow, and save the fat boys

maelstrom57 said:
do you find the Simmons Gen 2 to be a lot better than the stock skis.

i let my buddy ride mine with the GenII while i rode his with the Yamaha mountain skis on the trail and there seem to be a delay on the input i gave it compaired to mine i had never riden an rx-1 with yamaha skis on it. i put on powderhounds when i purshed the sled and then GenII i liked both but i perfer the GenII for the floataion

I know a lot of people are going to the fat skis. I guess the the theory is that if flotation is good, more is better. Like everyone, we found the 03 stock skis awful. Zero float. I initially went to simmons and a 42in holz stance with the common belief that the fix to this "lumbering beast that wants to nose over in deep snow" is to widen the stance and increase flotation. The sled railed on the trail but was tough to carve and sidehill. Hell to pull up, and once there the the simmons did not hold a line reliably. Sidehill across a track and it would buck you right over. Pulling the sled around when stuck on the hill the simmons would cut in and the sled wanted to roll. Crabbing around in certain deep snow they would not bite, and would push ahead instead. All the while I was taking weight off my sled. My son finally convinced me to try powder pros and a stock narrow front end. The difference was drastic. I was able to hold sidehills and carve confidently for the first time. Any similar sized ski, like the newer stock yami mountain skis, seem to work the same. We met a fellow rx-1 fellow a month ago that had done some of the mods but had a wide track, and the fat skis. He's a big boy but in deep snow his sled was handling him. He would go to pull the sled up and the wide stance and increased flotation would throw him back over. After a number of mishaps he nailed a log on a high speed "hail-mary" sidehill, bent his arms and cracked his nose casting. Needless to say, he is trying to dump his Ton and spring for light & nimble M8. I drives me crazy. A fellow installs fat skiis, a fat track, a fat apex suspension, straps a suitcase to the back and is frustrated with how his sled handles. Then goes and rides a skinny sled with skinny track and skinny skis (no suitcase) and thinks its god's gift.(sorry Spencer) Our opinion...you want to trail ride go simmons. If you want to climb and boondock, go PP's, stock yami, even skidoo sidehillers. The crust and the trails are not why we ride.

Here's my take on the Barkbuster after a full season or more: I liked the weight loss; much more responsive and tighter turning radius was very handy; great performance while climbing or boondocking in the powder. Drawbacks included increased darting and bump steer on the pack; harder to keep everything "tight" as far as bushings and wear points. Rode them hard with no damage other than wear on bushings and bolts. Great in the powder, not so much on the pack at higher speeds. I just put the stock front end back on for the spring if anyone wants to talk me out of the Barkbusters.

I also have the Gen II's and think they are great all the way around, although I run the stock skis part of the season when the conditions are marginal. The Gen II's do everything the stock mt skis do but it takes a little more skill. The sweet spot is there but is not as forgiving as the stock mts, and you do have to anticipate things like carving across other peoples tracks and such a little more as Kachess mentioned. They are great when following other peoples tracks and in the deep trenches they really eliminate the pinball effect. In the bottomless stuff they are priceless.

Back