• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Cats, what do you think?

Mad Russian said:
Thats because no one owned one yet! Wait till next year when they start with the cat problems. Ben there done that. Evrything looks great on paper! :-o

Cat seems pretty solid to me.. Made to be beat and raced, best Chassis/suspension ( IMO ) on the market, and All the guys I know with cats ( 2009-Newer ) have never had a breakdown.. And they do about 1500 miles/season...

Seems like Doo is having more issues than cat... What problems did they have exactly

I ride about 4 to 5,000 mi a season. And all the problems that i had with cats were clitching and electrical. Understand im not here to put down cats doos or poos. Im just telling my own expiriences. Just wait till next season and you will see what im trying to say. LOL ;)!

The new cats look nice. Can't wait to actually read a ride report on these. I've had to many cat problems to assume everything is good now.

Mad Russian said:
I ride about 4 to 5,000 mi a season. And all the problems that i had with cats were clitching and electrical. Understand im not here to put down cats doos or poos. Im just telling my own expiriences. Just wait till next season and you will see what im trying to say. LOL ;)!

I thought they re did their clutches this year..?? Maybe not..

Either or.. 2012 Yamaha is a letdown, and No white Nytros... Last week my dealer had 2 white ones, ( a shorty and a xtx ) .. If they are available next year Im sure thats gonna be the ticket for me as they will be around $8K.. Still in the box

Mad Russian said:
Thats because no one owned one yet! Wait till next year when they start with the cat problems. Ben there done that. Evrything looks great on paper! :-o

so true

Comatoast said:
Mad Russian said:

Cat seems pretty solid to me.. Made to be beat and raced, best Chassis/suspension ( IMO ) on the market, and All the guys I know with cats ( 2009-Newer ) have never had a breakdown.. And they do about 1500 miles/season...

Seems like Doo is having more issues than cat... What problems did they have exactly
is 1500 miles considered alot,cuz we ride that in a week

AttakSnow2 said:
After this major recall they just had, it would be hard for me to consider buying the first year of an all new design from them.

Was it not the Cat Quads that were losing front tires from axles breaking and causing major injuries to people as well.

Ain,t it great that we don,t have to sigh up for a 3 year plan and stay with the same brand for that amount of time. Competion amoung the big 4 is GREAT ! We all win, eventually.

pat the rat said:
Comatoast said:
Mad Russian said:

is 1500 miles considered alot,cuz we ride that in a week

1500 miles is what it is.. It wasnt a competition.. ALl I was saying is the 2009-2010 Cats they have with 3000-5000 miles have not had one issue

Sled Dog said:
AttakSnow2 said:
After this major recall they just had, it would be hard for me to consider buying the first year of an all new design from them.

Was it not the Cat Quads that were losing front tires from axles breaking and causing major injuries to people as well.

Yamaha had a recall in 2009 and in 2007 on their snowmobiles. Both on either the front suspension or the steering (fx nytro and Phazer).

Also on 2008 to 2010 Yamaha Grizzly atvs there was a recall

"Hazard: The steering column support assembly can crack and cause the rider to lose steering control, posing a risk of injury or death to riders"

Also back around 2005 70,000 Yamaha units (ATVs) recalled for steering system

"...resulting in loss of steering control, which could cause a vehicle crash with injury or death"

My point is there is pages and pages of recalls from every manufacturer, for all kinds of different reasons. I find it unnecessary and rather immature of you to start pointing out recalls on arctic cat ATVs while we're discussing snowmobiles in this snowmobile forum.

They all have there problems for sure. I just mean "the year of the cat" is all the hype of the new chassis and weight loss. Nobody knows what or how good it will be for quite some time. But they are the talk of the town right now.

sleddingfarmer said:
Sled Dog said:
AttakSnow2 said:

Yamaha had a recall in 2009 and in 2007 on their snowmobiles. Both on either the front suspension or the steering (fx nytro and Phazer).

"Hazard: The steering column support assembly can crack and cause the rider to lose steering control, posing a risk of injury or death to riders"

"...resulting in loss of steering control, which could cause a vehicle crash with injury or death"

My point is there is pages and pages of recalls from every manufacturer, for all kinds of different reasons. I find it unnecessary and rather immature of you to start pointing out recalls on arctic cat ATVs while we're discussing snowmobiles in this snowmobile forum.

LMAO. Really, well everyone is entitled to their opinion even when they are wrong! I was simply pointing out another recall of the same company that builds the sled we were dicussing so whats the problem. :drink: :drink: :drink: :-o

Sled Dog said:
sleddingfarmer said:
Sled Dog said:
AttakSnow2 said:

LMAO. Really, well your entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong! I was simply pointing out another recall of the same company that builds the sled we were discussing so whats the problem. Furthermore if you think bringing up recalls is immature and unnecessary why then did you bring up all the Yamaha recalls and what does that say about you. Do as I say not as I do? lol :drink: :drink: :drink: :-o

ApexSE/Vector said:
From a Canadian perspective, I think Cat will hit a home run with their 2012 F1100 Turbo LXR when compared to a 2012 Apex SE. Canadian list (LXR $15499 vs SE $17799) is $2300 cheaper and when you add our Ontario HST of 13% you save $2600. Along with this substantial saving, from what I've read and seen on Cats website, you also get the following standard features not found on our SE's:at least 20 extra hp (15 if you believe the 162 hp ad hype), 6" dual carbides, 50-60 lbs less heft, a heated seat, push-button reverse, adjustable handlebars, adjustable ski stance,removeable rear storage bag(don't have to drill,rivet and purchase) and a window to check oil level. Then there are the generally perceived notions of better handling and longer hyfax life(almost a given), a horny appearance, a 2-up seat option, choice of 5 windshield heights and two fewer idler wheels to replace.Not to mention having to worry about proper track tension so as not to knick our several thousand $ exhaust system. They don't discourage stud use, rather they have Woody's and Stud Boy traction products in their brochures(have for years) with the only caveat being it looks like you have to add tunnel protectors as they are listed as required in the brochure. Make that $2500 instead.The addition of a factory turbo and the features listed above would probably push the Cdn. MSRP plus taxes to over $25000 OTD! Don't get me wrong, I love the QDR of my Apex, but lighter, faster,warmer, adjustability, handling and agility, awesome looks etc. coupled with a seasons' worth of gas, lodging, trail permits,insurance etc. covered by the $2500, you have to admit Cat did their 50th anniversary homework. One saving grace, at least they didn't bump the horsepower up.

About time someone actually puts it in apples to apples.

Back