• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 ram 1500 EcoDiesel OR F150 Ecoboost

Nice truck Irv! Love the white! Is that a bighorn? What options does it come with compared to 'Sport' model? What do you get for MPG?

newfie09xtx said:
Nice truck Irv! Love the white! Is that a bighorn? What options does it come with compared to 'Sport' model? What do you get for MPG?

Thanks Newfie09. ;)!

It is a Bighorn but I can't say for sure what options it has compared to the Sport?

The Sport is one up on the scale so I assume the Sport might have a few things a little fancier, or have a few more available options, I don't know but can say, my Bighorn is pretty well appointed for what I need anyways.

I purchased mine with the Hemi, 6sp tranny, 3.55 gear ratio with LSD (posi), Alpine sound system (it pounds!) back up rear view camera, heated bucket seats, auto folding mirrors, side steps, 8.4" Nav screen, heated steering wheel, comfort group, 20" inch chrome clad wheels, Quad Cab, (wanted the larger box) towing pkg, plus a few other things I can't currently think of.

I am currently getting 16.2 L/100 km's driving both city and Hwy but got 13.5/14 during the summer driving back and forth to my trailer which was better than my Sierra got fully broken in with 56,000 km's on it.
My Ram currently only has just over 5,000 km's and I have been told not to expect the best mileage out of it until around 7,000 to 10,000 miles. (not km's)

Love it, and look forward to driving it everyday! ;)!

(If you're comparing older models vs newer models, the 2013's received a pile of upgrades/updates, even compared to their 2012 models)

Attachments

• getWindowStickerPdf.pdf
    174.5 KB · Views: 139
Here's the wife's run of the mill 2011 EcoBoost super crew cab 4x4, 3.73 with max-tow package. She bought it because the van wouldn't pull the 30ft camper trailer.

No issues yet and it rides nice. I get 10 to 12 L/100km on the highway and the wife and kids run it up as high as 15 to 20 L/100km in town depending on how long they let it warm up. Somehow, I manage to stay below 14 L/100km in town, figure that one out!

Towing the 7600 lb camper, I get between 18 and 22 L/100km. Towing the sleds or ATVs on the side by side trailer, I get around 15L/100km. I have a hard folding tonneau cover which may help.

I'm not a truck guru and don't care what brand it is. All I can say is that at the time I bought it, it seemed to be the best value for the money. The GMs were older style, less power and the ride wasn't as nice. The Dodge dealer was an hour away.

We take turns driving between four guys all different trucks. Always the same trailer, sleds, gear, etc.

Sleds:
2011 nytro xtx, 2012 skidoo 153 800 2012 Polaris assault 800 2011 Polaris 600 121

trailer 24 foot enclosed 8.5 ft wide with the wheels underneath. full ski runners rubber matts all the way through its the upper model trailer with the walls finished so its got some extra weight to it. not sure of the total weight we have been meaning to stop some time and check.

First trip:
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Tonneau cover closed. 3.73 gears 5 speed auto trans and truck was new only 4000 miles 32 gallon tank
fargo, nd to Deadwood, SD 75 mph -6 degrees when we left.
6.4 to 7.6 mpg
stopping every 100 miles to fill used tow haul mode until it got warmer when we got closer to SD and were going down hill more.

truck now has 21k average 400 to a tank in town mixed driving gets 15 mpg 19.5+ highway at 75 any faster it really goes down.

Second trip 2012 Silverado crew tonneau cover closed same speed 9 mpg not comfortable to ride in the back way less leg room than ford and dodge

2012 f350 crew tonneau cover 10 mpg tons of room power and weight. 6000 miles not broke in.

2011 dodge needs a heavier duty sway bar but can bolt that on for $150 bucks just haven't tried it yet. Will have to see how it pulls this year now that its broke in more its my turn to drive again. Love driving the dodge it was a little stiff at first and use some sand bags in the back to soften that up in the winter and to not have to use 4x4 as much. Great to ride in the back like the ford. 2013 Dodge has air ride and an 8 speed transmission with the same hemi. The motor is impressive it doesn't quit pulling and will easily get you in trouble. For a half ton and the regular guy who doesn't pull a skidsteer great all around truck. Like any truck they have there ups and downs but so far wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm on my second ecoboost. Had a 2012 with 3.73's and loved it. It got an average of 20 mpg highway (70mph) and 16 mpg in town. This truck never broke a sweat towing a 7000 lbs enclosed trailer.

Now I have a 2013 ecoboost with 3.55's. Only 8k miles on it so far and I have to say I liked my 12' with the 3.73's better. It still tows just as good from what I can tell but my mileage is only at the 18 maybe 19 on the highway. Maybe once it gets a few more miles it will be better.

If your into aftermarket mods a tuner for the ecoboost is a great mod.

my vote is for the ram. I have a 2011 crew cab with 3.92 gears and the hemi. I only pull a two place with a clam shell. the sway bars seem to be the weak link. To me twin turbos will be a big maintenance issue some day. Im 6'6" and the ram has great cab room. I've always been a gm guy, but find myself less brand loyal as I get older. These things cost too much not to get the best on the market. Personal preference will win out. Enjoy the hunt!

Call me crazy but if I was going to buy a new truck and am hauling a bunch of sleds with gear and 4 or 5 guys I would go with a 3/4 ton Diesel. You get the mpg, you won't sack out the suspension, more room and it is built for towing heavy loads.

Maybe I missed this but are you buying or leasing? If leasing get the cheapest. If buying get the ram and buy the lifetime warrentee, it can be had for around $1500 dealer cost. It's a max care and never expires. It even covers shocks if they go bad.

Back