• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 RUMORS.......

Somebody let Yamaha engineers into the AC parts bin. If anyone wants a track and suspension swap done on their current sled, I'd be happy to do it for the price Yami charging. Anyone feel raped. That said, heritage graffiti looks nice, even on a cat, lol

did anybody see on yamaha site they still offer 2015 apex and vector models.whats up with that to many left overs or what.

I'm starting to love Yamaha like I love the Leafs...Very similar theme... : (

Signed...VERY FRUSTRATED YAMAHA OWNER.......

On the bright side, we only have 2 years 'til the 2018 models are released. If there isn't something big for the 50th anniversary, even I might jump ship (ya right).

I see what you mean. After looking at it closer it doesn't look much different than the float suspension that Cat has offered for years. I was thinking at first that it was a progressive-rate version of the monoshock. But it isn't anything like the monoshock. It is just a float shock on the rear arm with no front arm shock.
It looks that way, however wouldn't it work like the mono with front and rear arm linked together but in a simpler fashion? I don't think they would want less ride quality! Maybe the same quality with less weight! I guess we will have to wait and see what the rag experts say about it!

Last edited:
They are as fickle as a 14 year old girl.
Go ahead and switch brands for a little flash, but you know you will be back for dependability!

Maybe I'm the exception, maybe I'm the norm and maybe only yamaha has the real numbers but: I've got a 2006 Apex I bought used and I've had years of gremlin-type electrical problems. I think those may actually be fixed now but my sleds in the shop for donuts and probably y-pipes (yes I know these can be done without a dealer but it's mid-season and I have no time). I've waited every year to see if they come out with true successor to the Apex and figured this was the year, even budgeted to just buy the new whatever the name was to hopefully start me on 5-10 years of nuisance free riding but...

So I expect the engine to last forever, but I'm not a proponent of the assumption of yamaha reliability. With lots of money sunk into electrical and now with (the expected) exhaust issues I've been pouring money into this machine yearly. I love the sled and like I said wanted them to build a successor, but wonder if a 'less reliable' sled with an understanding that you need a 2-stroke engine rebuild every 2-4k isn't actually better long term.

Of course the 11 is better, and surely more reliable because it's 5 years younger. What I'm saying is the while we mostly enjoy a rather bulletproof engine I don't think it's fair to declare these sleds to be heads and shoulders more reliable than the competition. It's become the standard defensive response to any yamaha shortcoming and those shortcomings and lack of real innovation have been more prominent the last few years. "But hey I've got Yamaha reliability" is no longer something I can really hang my hat on, nor really something that I will assume when I buy my next sled. Expensive, outdated, and marginally better reliability likely isn't going to earn my $15k... and I'm a yamaha owner who loves his sled.

Have you ridden one for more than a day? Suspension is night and day better than 06 and handles 100x better. I don't have blinders any more I see the advantages and disadvantages of all sleds I don't bleed blue. But I'd buy a16 Apex for sure. I'm in love with the 11 until another brand can make a sled that gets me going like the apex does I'm going to keep riding it and but another one. I saw a1200 4tec renegade that looks interesting and I'm sure rides smoother but handles better? As fast as my apex and sounds as good? Not for me not yet anyway. Pros and con's no one makes a better 4 stroke right now than Yamaha in my opinion.

I have not ridden a newer Apex so that's certainly valid, and maybe I'm letting the same chassis, engine and appearance sway me too much in the way of "it's a 2006 model competing with 2016 sleds" but really seems like a ridiculously long time for Yamaha to be sitting on it's "merits". I've ridden some of the competition and while compelling I've been holding out for the successor to the Apex because I really like my sled and really like the power. Maybe a better approach is to get an '11+ Apex but as I keep getting older I've been feeling ready to get to the 'new, under warranty, and not worried about it' phase. I'm just really hesitant to do that with a 10 year old model.

Of course the 11 is better, and surely more reliable because it's 5 years younger. What I'm saying is the while we mostly enjoy a rather bulletproof engine I don't think it's fair to declare these sleds to be heads and shoulders more reliable than the competition. It's become the standard defensive response to any yamaha shortcoming and those shortcomings and lack of real innovation have been more prominent the last few years. "But hey I've got Yamaha reliability" is no longer something I can really hang my hat on, nor really something that I will assume when I buy my next sled. Expensive, outdated, and marginally better reliability likely isn't going to earn my $15k... and I'm a yamaha owner who loves his sled.
Wrong....my 07 attak was the most reliable sled I have ever owned...I got more money on a trade from it with 14,400 miles, than my 08 cat with 2,800 miles on it...and that cat capped out on me twice...costing me nearly two months of riding in the last 12 months (end of last year and beginning of this year)....I had zero electrical problems or engine problems with that attak...I did break the front arm in the skid at 11,000 miles...oh and the starter relay froze on me once..that was it...maybe you bought a lemon...?? Don't know...I got rid of my cat and bought a 2011 xtx...and love it...so I don't really care if a new apex comes out next year...I will be riding this one....AND...IMO...yamaha made some really cool improvements. ..that make a great sled better.

I feel for anybody who misses riding time due to sled issues. ..I have been there...2 of the 4 ski doos I have owned and 1 of the two cats I have owned have been on the end of a tow rope in the last 12 years...None of the 7 yamahas I have owned, have been towed....NONE!!...yamaha has been reliable for me (and my friends)...your experience is not the norm.

I have not ridden a newer Apex so that's certainly valid, and maybe I'm letting the same chassis, engine and appearance sway me too much in the way of "it's a 2006 model competing with 2016 sleds" but really seems like a ridiculously long time for Yamaha to be sitting on it's "merits". I've ridden some of the competition and while compelling I've been holding out for the successor to the Apex because I really like my sled and really like the power. Maybe a better approach is to get an '11+ Apex but as I keep getting older I've been feeling ready to get to the 'new, under warranty, and not worried about it' phase. I'm just really hesitant to do that with a 10 year old model.
I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just saying I've been there with an 06 thinking an 11+ isn't better. I could not have been more wrong. The suspension is better the power is better the eps is so awesome it really helps with handling and comfort. I suggest you get some seat time on one at least. I've been extremely impressed. Nothing wrong with another brand to each their own. If Yamaha didn't exist id get a renegade 4tec but like I said.... Well I'm repeating now so you get the point.

X2 murse....the ski doo has a nice ride...but that's it...the eps equipped apex handles and steers easier...AND completely spanks it on the lake...imo..there is nothing like a yamaha 4 cylinder...nothing comes close.

I'm not going to list all the updates from 06 to 2011.....there are alot of little things that make a big difference ...you really have to ride a 2011 or newer to understand

Back