• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

6 Ounce Battery?

Boost-it had 3 brand new batteries for vipers and had to send them all back.

I'm not blowing $400 and hope they don't do the same

I think they need another yr for these lith batteries to improve for cold sled use

I think the tech has arrived, we just require one a little smaller than this one made for automobiles. http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-starter-battery.htm . There are others out there running lith batteries with no problems. Might just be a Cat thing or the charge system requirements of how it works? Any way I'm giving this a go, swaping out the stock yuasa and gonna carry a boost pack in my inside pocket with my phone. I don't ride at -20c anyway..lol, too cold for me to even start!

And here are some videos for disbelievers. http://antigravitybatteries.com/videos/ Like I have said before, you would keep this inside your coat and in with you at night to keep it warm so it is at its full potential or run a cord out to charge it in the accessory plug while riding.

The XP-1: 200 Amp- 400 Peak Amp Jump Starting ability 13 ounces 6" long x 2.8" wide x 1"tall 12000 mah Capacity
The XP-10: 300 Amp- 600 Peak Amp Jump Starting ability Weight: 18 ounces 9″ long x 3.0″ wide x 1.25″ tall 18000 mah Capacity

Both would be good units.

The XP-1: 200 Amp- 400 Peak Amp Jump Starting ability 13 ounces 6" long x 2.8" wide x 1"tall 12000 mah Capacity
The XP-10: 300 Amp- 600 Peak Amp Jump Starting ability Weight: 18 ounces 9″ long x 3.0″ wide x 1.25″ tall 18000 mah Capacity

Both would be good units.

Yep for sure, just a little too THICK for me though..lol

I have a XP-1 wrote a post on it sometime back. I really like it. When I first got it I went around dealership and started 4 atv's that just clicked or nothing. One I did have to go to ground at engine. Real good ground is important or it wont always wotk. Tried to start a 700 with no battery but it would not do it. After all that still had 3 bars lit. Had it in truck and got chance to use it on a 6 cylinder Oldsmobile with dead battery. Fired it right up. Still 3 bars. It works great for jumping but will not work with no battery. Once snowmobiling started I carried it in back bag in a nice little foam lined pouch I found. Forgot about it till this fall. Still had 2 bars lit and after charging recovered nicely. Flashlight is nice also. Very happy with it.

I have a XP-1 wrote a post on it sometime back. I really like it. When I first got it I went around dealership and started 4 atv's that just clicked or nothing. One I did have to go to ground at engine. Real good ground is important or it wont always wotk. Tried to start a 700 with no battery but it would not do it. After all that still had 3 bars lit. Had it in truck and got chance to use it on a 6 cylinder Oldsmobile with dead battery. Fired it right up. Still 3 bars. It works great for jumping but will not work with no battery. Once snowmobiling started I carried it in back bag in a nice little foam lined pouch I found. Forgot about it till this fall. Still had 2 bars lit and after charging recovered nicely. Flashlight is nice also. Very happy with it.

I have one too... that thing is crazy how well it works.

Back on Topic - Scott are you thinking of running a lithium battery in the sled AND this portable jump unit to help it out in the mornings? Or are you wanting to run the sled off this portable unit? I need a new battery this year my old PC580 Odessy is still going just getting a little tired. I love the idea of saving some weight as well, my current one is 14lbs and it would be great to get into a 3lb battery but like someone else mentioned not sure I have the time or patience in the morning on a bagger trip to wait for it to warm up to be able to crank the sled and you never can predict the weather, we have been caught in -25F mornings before and at that point you didn't have a choice to ride or not, we were 300 miles from the truck it HAD to start and we HAD to ride. Curious what you come up with so I can copy it :)

First I will say that this thread needs to stay on positive and helpful note or it will be dog piled.
Secondly, in regards to the topic...
Sounds like you are looking at running a battery-less system, using the portable power just for starting? If you're doing that for racing, you can get away with it, but for riding I wouldn't do it at all. If you do that you're relying on the stator to keep up with all the electrical demands of the sled, rather than allow the stator to just keep the battery charged. The voltage load changes as you ride, so full throttle riding, brake lights, etc, all change the load, and the stator won't keep up with that for long before it fries itself.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you're looking to save weight by running no battery, yet planning to carry something with you, why not save the hassle of it and just mount it permanently? I understand the point of a lightweight lithium needing to stay warm and all, but is a few extra pounds really worth it?
The PC545 has proven itself for years as a small, lightweight battery that saves weight. I run a Braille B106 that weighs 6lbs, and will start my supercharged Apex after during outside all night during a snow storm. Not worth the headache to mess around with anything else in my opinion. If you want to work that hard to shed a few pounds, try sit-ups.. Lol

Some people are concerned with the weight others are not, I happen to be concerned with it and am trying to shave 100lbs from the ole girl, the battery is bar none the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to do this so I am with Scott on this one. If there is a better way I'm all ears.

I am curious if using a grip heating element on the battery that you turned on before trying to crank to warm it would help at all. Apparently the heat from the element wont help as much as the current generated within the battery to bring it up to temp before cranking will.

If I can decide I think I will go with this one Antigravity YT12BS-16 3.5lbs

Some people are concerned with the weight others are not, I happen to be concerned with it and am trying to shave 100lbs from the ole girl, the battery is bar none the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to do this so I am with Scott on this one. If there is a better way I'm all ears.

I am curious if using a grip heating element on the battery that you turned on before trying to crank to warm it would help at all. Apparently the heat from the element wont help as much as the current generated within the battery to bring it up to temp before cranking will.

If I can decide I think I will go with this one Antigravity YT12BS-16 3.5lbs

Yes that is the battery I have choosen to go with. Anitgravity uses a Nanophosphate lithium, like the A123 batteries, which greatly improves the cold resistance when compared to the iron phosphate lithium used in other (EarthX) batteries. However, I maybe still having doubts on this system, so, I am most likely going with a boost pack like the xp-1 but would really like to see if the little xp-5 will do it. It would just be a lil' helper deal. Hopefully I never require to use it though.

Nate007, Yes originally my thoughts where to operate much like a race sled with no battery at all, but I do require a battery to run other acessories, not often but from time to time, so 5 extra sit-ups a day will account for the added 3.5lbs of battery weight, lol,.I lost 20 last year, now the sled's feeling heavier.

I remember trying a battery that a friend uses in his race bike, and I honestly thought it was an empty display battery. If I remember right, it was a Western Powersports battery? (Blue in color if anyone knows what I'm talking about?)
It was tiny and weighed nearly nothing, and started my Apex just fine in the shop. After it sat outside for a couple hours in the cold, I had to drag the sled back inside cause it wouldn't start. After it warmed up inside-no problems.
Went with the Braille and haven't looked back.

I have been using the B106's for the past couple seasons. Seems to be some what comparable to the Oddessey 545, and hasn't given me any troubles. Weighs 6 lbs I believe. Its on the sticker on the battery, but I'm not near my sleds to check.

That is a interesting battery its old school AGM type (GOOD THING IN COLD) but weighs 6.9lbs and has a ton of cranking amps, but a small reserve of 10AH vs the anti-gravity at 16 or 22 (pending what model you pick). So it packs a punch to start the sled but it wont last long basically (say if sled has trouble starting). Being AGM its performance would be much better in the cold as it wouldn't lose 80-90% of its CCA like the lithium. Can you mount a AGM on its side like the odessy gel type?

Thank you for sharing Nate007 this may be a good compromise for me if I can lay it on its side on my SC bracket under the intercooler.

https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b106

Sorry Kinger, I am going with the YT12BS-12 cell rather then the 16 cell. I have no need for the extra storage. It weighs a mere 2.5lbs, has the same specs of 12v and 12AH as the stock YTX14BS, but with 360 cca! I almost never run hand grips and with 35w hids, there is no way I'll be taxing the stator or battery. Even the heated shield cord hardly gets used.

Nate007, that battery is likely more than enough to spin you over. The capacity is most likely a non-issue 10AH is real close to the stock spec and I have my doubts with everything running that it would draw all of that. The weight however is only 1.1lbs lighter so I'm out on that model. I will look deeper into Brailles' lighter Lithium and Green-lite series. Thanks for the tip-off, never heard of these before!

Back