• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

6 Ounce Battery?

ML9C, WoW, 1000 bucks for a comparable lithium model, sorry Braille I'm out. That's real pricey stuff Nate.

They're very proud of the lithium stuff, that is for sure. I've never tried their lithium. The 106 is roughly 1/2 the weight of the factory battery, and I sell them for $157.99.
I've left my Apex out overnight before, and with a bunch of new snow on it at about 29°f, it had no trouble starting it. My sled doesn't really like starting on cold mornings either, especially with a twin screw blower on it, but it fired up without having to jump it.

I looked up my PC545 and its only 150 cranking amps? That seems really low, its worked flawless on my sc 4 banger down to -25 one morning, it started! Sled hated it but the battery did its job. Some of the anti gravity batteries are 4 times that crank power when warm. Maybe I don't need that big of one either?

I looked into the whole cca vs pca thing, and all I could figure out is that there may not be a real standard for how various brands test them as far as conditions, testing equipment, etc.. They're all made a little different, so it should go without saying that they'd work differently. I know the oddessey is proven for a number of years now, and I'm going on year 3 with my Braille batteries, and I haven't kept them on a maintainer either. I'm purposefully not simply to see how well they hold up. Haven't started either if mine since March, and they both fired right up today. Neither was unhooked or charged.

The Apex is a heavy sled so if you are concerned about weight you are on the wrong sled to start with. Is a battery really where you want to shave a few ounces in return for possibly being stranded out in the cold? I actually replaced my battery with a larger (heavier) 20 series battery with more CCA. I for one will trade a few extra ounces for the peace of mind that my sled will start even on the coldest mornings.

For those of us who have added boost to our sleds, a different battery is a must. Due to the large size of my supercharger, mine actually has to be mounted in the nose of the sled. A lighter battery is a necessary evil sometimes, and with the added weight of a large blower, a small, lightweight battery can help.

I'm going with the Antigravity Battery YT12BS-16,
Thanks for all the info guys, I kinda missed all the discussion. Cheers

I want a big heavy battery that will start my sled when it is -20 deg. A few ounces do not matter to me. If I want to drop a few ounces I will take a crap!

I want a big heavy battery that will start my sled when it is -20 deg. A few ounces do not matter to me. If I want to drop a few ounces I will take a crap!

Very informative Dave, Let us know how your weight loss goes and keep up the great posts!

I have a Shorai that I will let go for anyone wanting to drop 12lbs. the battery weighs 2 lbs. Its not the best cold weather battery but does work. Sometimes it just needs to be cranked over a few times to warm the battery up. Battery is brand new...I just bought it Nov 13, 2014. $75 plus shipping.

http://www.atbatt.com/shorai-lfx18l1-bs12-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4-powersports-battery.asp

The iron-phosphate lithiums do not perform as well as the nano-phosphates in cold temps, or so I have read. No snow or cold temps here yet. How much cranking? Did you ever kill it? and at what temps?

all the specs are on the link....the battery was never "killed". In temps around 15, it just turned over slowly. Sled always started. Ive only had the battery for a month so I can't give you much info. I use these batteries on my bikes but that is summer and cold has never been an issue.

I don't know about you guys, but I do a lot of snowmobiling in cold weather. I just can't believe that anyone would trade a dependable start in cold weather for a few ounces (or even pounds) of weight loss. Especially on a 4 stroke sled which does not have a pull start option. Because I am not that concerned about the added weight, I carry a set of jumper cables in my rear storage bag. You guys that are saving weight with smaller batteries can only hope that I am around with my big heavy battery and jumper cables to give you a jump start when your little light weight battery leaves you stranded. Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Those start packs work but after a start how are u gonna charge it won't last for ever. Plus be carefully with a agm battery discharge them and dont charge them with a proper agm charger u might as well throw ur money out the window

Back