• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A straight answer

Doogs

Extreme
Got this from Yamaha today.

Good morning:

I am sure your dealer has provided you with this information but it is my understanding they reviewed the situation with the Territory Service Manager (TSM).

The handle bars have been checked and work as designed and engineered (the output can't be increased without possibly sacrificing the integrity of the electrical parts. They were not designed/engineered to be hotter than they are and I regret you report it's insufficient for you.

A number of items have been authorized (broken track tensioner) and I do not believe the dealer determined there was an issue regarding the reverse beeper being abnormal (you may need to duplicate/verify this with the dealer). We have reported the abnormal wear issues you reported on the front end and the dealer will repair the warranty related items.

I am afraid that the hyfax wear is the result of usage and/or conditions and this is not something that I can assist with. Items of this nature require replacing for non-manufacturing related reasons and their replacement is the owner's responsibility.

Regards,
-----

Nice to finally get some sort of answer regarding these common issues, or at least to know they are being aknowledged.Hope this helps to put some minds at ease.

Helps a little but still sounds like a fob off! sorry the electrical items are not hot enough for you? My nytro's hand warmers are like totally useless but the wifes phazer are awesome so whats the differance the bars are both steel! What did they replace on the front end after all?

They replaced all the ball joints, tie-rod ends, and bushings in the front end. Everything was completely shot after 1300km (800 miles)

There's a rewiring kit for hand warmers from Yamaha that fixes them. Some were wired parallel when they were supposed be in series, or vice-versa. Real easy to install- just plug them in. Give those a try. Yamaha didn't mention those to you? If they won't comp them for you, they should be real cheap.

Ok nevermind all that. Turns out this guy was just humoring me when he said my front end would be fixed. I called the dealer yesterday and they said they can't find anything wrong with it. Here is part of a much longer email I wrote back to them.

Not only have I explained what was wrong to the dealer over the phone, but they were shown when the machine was dropped off. When the skis are on the ground, there is 2-3 inches of play in the bars, measured from the end. It wasn't like that new. Also, when you lift the front end, the spindles flop all over the place. I measured 1/2 inch of play in the bushings, measured at the tip of the upper a-arm.

Here is what I got back.

Good afternoon:

I am sure your dealer will appreciate you reviewing this with them.

Regards,
Scott

Since then there have been a few more emails sent between us. None of them got me anywhere, nor did two calls to the dealer.
Talking to these people is like talking to a wall! :o| :o| :o|

On top of that, they charged me $120 to change the stupid hyfax.

well, we need to get this Hyfax issue addressed...I had 120 miles on mine and they were 80% worn through, my buddy who picked up sled at same time I did...had less than 50 miles on his, and his are COMPLETELY worn through!!!!

Both of us got well over 1500 miles on sliders from Doo, this is NOT normal wear...to have to replace your hyfax after every ride? or every third ride for me?

Doogs said:
They replaced all the ball joints, tie-rod ends, and bushings in the front end. Everything was completely shot after 1300km (800 miles)
Just for clarification, you called back on Monday and they did NOT do these things? :dunno:

It's just my opinion, but I believe the issue about premature hyfax wear is real.

My buddy I ride with has a 2008 xp summit with a 2.25 inch lug track. I have 1,000 miles on my sled and have ridden 800 of those with him. My third set of Hyfax are almost gone with 65 miles on them and his original hyfax are still great.

I should note that they only wear in one location.

As per my dealers recommendations I have cut a half inch off my track (I have the original Maverick 2.25 inch) installed scratchers and am about to install a set of wheels.

For me this is very frustrating and I am working hard to find a fix that works for me.

I wonder if the current set up will see immediate wear in the one area, but once that original wear occurs, (which is to the mark that indicates it's time to change the sliders) they would wear consistantly with the rest of the sliders. However I'm not prepared to take a chance in case this theory is wrong.

SledderSteve said:
Doogs said:
Just for clarification, you called back on Monday and they did NOT do these things? :dunno:

No, they did not. I spoke with the dealer on Friday morning, and they said the broken parts would be replaced and the sled would be ready to go for Monday. The email I received on Saturday morning from Yamaha customer service reassured me that they were aware of the problem (at least in my case) and something was being done (at least for me, specifically).
You can see right in the first email from Yamaha Customer Service that he said "We have reported the abnormal wear issues you reported on the front end and the dealer will repair the warranty related items."
However, I called the dealer Monday morning to see if it was ready and they said they didn't believe the front end was an issue, and the play I described (and showed them) is perfectly normal and nothing will be replaced

Naturally, I assumed the work was done when I posted that, since the dealer said it would be done for Monday and Cusomer Service said it was being done as well.

That sucks doogs. I've got 1600+ on my hyfax, and they are still ok, and I've ridden over some pretty bare conditions. They do burn for a while when new, people around me were freaking out ("your rails are burning off your sled!" and such) but after time they've settled down, and seem fine now. My friends fathers RX-1 wears them just as fast, and he has an M-10 under it, not stock. We all just replace our sliders at the start of the year, and thankfully this year is no exception.

What's the proper way to break in hyfax?
It just seems like they should last a lot longer than they do. They sure aren't cheap!

My 1990 Bravo just got it's first replacement set last year. The bulkhead broke off from the tunnel (rivets all pounded out)before the hyfax wore out! Of course, I did drive it until they (hyfax) came right off LOL

MrSled touched on a key issue. back in 06 I had amazingly quick hyfax wear on my Apex, worse than otherguys I rode with (that was probably due to keeping my track tightened to spec, 1? inches at 22 lbs pull)

Switching to larger wheels (Doo) and adding SLP wear pads completely cured it, going from shot at 150-400 miles to 3000 and still in good shape.
Running the track looser than spec is a key issue too.

The work I did didnt cost all that much or take much time, and I am way ahead of the game even if Yamaha would have replaced the first set or 2 of hyfax for free.
My dealer is great so I believe I would have gotten 1 set for free. But I can change them myself quicker than a tow to the dealer.
Just my humble 2 cents! Oh, and the 4th rear wheel kit can be helpful too.

I might be looney, but I feel rather proud of myself for being clever and fixing my own issue LOL

I've got over 1700 miles on mine with stock hyfax and they are fine. Hyfax wear is primarily due to running in low snow conditions. The third wondow closed track will run hotter than a fully clipped one.

Yeah but snow has been pretty good where I ride. None of my other machines had hyfax problems even though my family uses them more than I used my Nytro. It wouldn't be as big a deal if I was there to change them myself, but I'm 7 hours away because of work, so I figured it would be easier to have the dealer do it while it was there.

Back