• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Antifreeze alternative and good for life of sled

herndonp

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Nytro XTX
I've seen a lot of posts about overheating and what type of antifreeze to use etc. I was wondering if anyone out there has done a conversion to "Evans Waterless Antifreeze". You have to basically remove all water and old antifreeze prior to installing this stuff (powermodz has a youtube video on removing old stuff with a shop vac on a 2 stroke). This stuff will last the life of your sled (never have to change antifreeze again) does not boil until over 300 deg F. I actually saw a video where they brought the sled to 265 Deg F and removed the radiator cap and no pressure. Was wondering if anyone has tried this stuff and what are there thoughts. Here is a link to there website http://www.evanscooling.com/products/powersports-coolant/

Pete

It's very difficult to remove all the coolant from the front heat exchanger. I never was able to do that, even lifting the rear. You would need to bring the sled practically vertical. Every year, I just drain what I can from the radiator and replace it to replenish the coolant. I also add Water Wetter to help with heat transfer.

Why didn't they add a drain plug to the heat exchanger?

Evans has a higher boiling point and the system doesn't pressure up like conventional coolant. I've heard that it's 100% propylene glycol but can't confirm that. A blend of propylene glycol (PG) and denatured alcohol is used to winterize potable water systems which is different than the ethylene glycol (EG) found in most automotive antifreeze. Water dissipates heat better than any of the coolants but because we need freeze protection antifreeze is added. Unfortunately, PG and EG type antifreeze dissipates heat poorly so engine temperature increase with increased concentration of antifreeze. Evans coolant has the same issues as the others with carrying heat away. Because it doesn't remove heat very well the engine temperature will run hotter than normal but without boiling the coolant. Running the engine hotter will increase oil temperature which may cause premature brake down of the oil and insufficient lubrication to critical parts. Yamaha designs and tunes the engine to run within a specific temperature range and the indicator lights are set to warn the operator when that range is being exceeded I've read reports of significant oil temperature increase after adding Evans coolant. I'm not sure what that will do to a Yamaha 4 stroke engine over time especially with an already insufficient cooling capacity. Running the proper concentration of conventional antifreeze along with proper venting and heat exchangers have proven to be effective in prolonging engine life so I'm not convinced Evans is a better fix

Fran here is what they say is the increase in temp, but overall better engine temp control (no hotspots).

Pete

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 252
Isn't that a conflicting statement? The temperature may increase 3-7 degrees but engines often run cooler with Evans waterless coolant

Show me some real world test data. I can only find claims of what it can/can't do. The one thing that consistently comes up is that the operating temperature will increase. In most cases that's not good and can shorten the life of an engine. It may be a great alternative to conventional antifreeze but I'm not using it until more info is available. When I see manufactures sending their engines out recommending it's use or real world test results like a Vector with over 75,000 miles that ran Evans with no issues I may consider it. I had a hard time excepting synthetic oils when they first came out also but now run it in most everything.

Give it a try Pete and let us know how you make out. :)

Last edited:
Fran I probably will this coming summer as the sled is ready to go and not going to mess with it now. I need to get suspension dialed in with new Mountaintech A-Arms, Anyway I'm game to try it as a lot of the reviews I have read are very positive. Here is some more reading please check it out.
http://www.waterlessenginecoolant.com/pages/about-evans-coolant

Pete

Most everything you read when researching Evans is written by Evans or one of their distributors. Their claims are never backed by any test data. That's a great review (http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm) that provides us with the proper unbiased test results. My concerns with the use of Evans coolant were reinforced in the article and other concerns with the product discussed.

Nice find Pete.

Isn't that a conflicting statement? The temperature may increase 3-7 degrees but engines often run cooler with Evans waterless coolant

That is actually a good thing, if it is true! The more efficient a coolant is, the higher it will read when you measure it as it leaves the engine. It means it is transferring heat out of the engine.

In any case, sleds aren't going to benefit much from any super coolant. The problem isn't the coolants ability to transfer heat, it is the poor coolant->snow interface. (aka, low snow conditions)

Only problem is that the temperature is actually read by the sensor in the engine, not leaving it. But you are right that it's snow conditions that will affect us more. For what it's worth, I add some Water Wetter to my coolant. I think it helps and the science behind it makes sense by breaking the surface tension of the water making better contact with metal. And I also use a 50/50 mix coolant and water. It was noticed that new sleds from the factory seem to be using straight coolant, which is less efficient.

Well, when it WAS new. Mine was the same in 07 when I bought it used with 800km.

Questions about the nytros general coolant system: Should there be coolant visible in the rad when the sled has been siting for a while and cold?

Do you mean the rad, or white overflow bottle near the front. Bottle near the front should have about 1/4 in it when cold.

Back