• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boost / AFR Gauge

yamaha06

VIP Member
How many of you guys are going to be running a boost/AFR gauge on your sidewinders? This will be my first time owning a turbo sled and just curious if this is a must have, most of the other turbo sleds I have rode all had the gauges. If you guys are running a gauge what gauge are you planning on running, and is it plug and play or is a harder install then that (drill holes and splicing of wires?)

Coming off a boosted sled with boost and AFR gauges, I am looking forward to having a boosted sled that is not as busy.

Lots going on at high speeds when you are checking revs, speedo, AFR and boost amount!

I think it's neat that this motor projects itself so you really don't need more gauges if left stock that is. Just checking speed and revs will be old school cool, that is if I can leave it stock !!!

Just my perspective for now, LOL...

How many of you guys are going to be running a boost/AFR gauge on your sidewinders? This will be my first time owning a turbo sled and just curious if this is a must have, most of the other turbo sleds I have rode all had the gauges. If you guys are running a gauge what gauge are you planning on running, and is it plug and play or is a harder install then that (drill holes and splicing of wires?)
I build high performance boosted cars for a living, both factory turbo and aftermarket. We see issues with both on the dyno all the time. Most common problems are boost leaks, and fuel pump failures. With that said there are 3 gauges we recommend as must haves, especially if you intend to up the boost. A boost gauge is a must have because you will have no way of knowing if you have a leak. Worse than that if the wastegate starts to stick you can overboost and detonation will happen. We also do a fuel pressure gauge because fuel related problems are the second biggest issue: pump failures, bad FP relay, blockage, etc. the third gauge would be an AFR gauge: this could alert you to a host of issues if the sled starts to run to rich or to lean. It's valuable information in the right hands when combined with the boost and fuel gauges. For instance if you have a problem where the sled starts feeling sluggish a quick glance at the gauges can help you diagnose the issue very quickly in most cases. Let's say you notice the AFR is going lean when the sled misbehaves. You look at the gauges and you see that your boost is correct but the fuel pressure is lower than normal, you know right away where to look or at least you have the information to give to your tech. Saving you in his time diagnosing the problem. If you have a problem more simple, say a boost leak which will also make the sled feel sluggish, you can rule out a fuel delivery problem because your fuel pressure gauge will tell you that. Your AFR gauge will show a rich condition because less air is getting into the motor, so again you have ruled out a fuel delivery issue such as injectors. The motor will start to pull timing if you keep hammering the throttle because the charge temp will rise due to the leak, the turbo will try to keep making boost to overcome the leak and produce a ton of heat doing it causing detonation...without the boost gauge you don't know you have a leak. The other thing we usually recommend is a gauge for a known issue with the particular vehicle. Say the vehicle is known for runing high coolant temps... Then you should have a gauge on board so you can watch it... Having the info is key and it will increase your chances of spending less money on trips to the dealer, or at least less time at the dealer. It can also save you a motor... Just my two pennies...

That is great advice. Knock sensor is a biggie also. This has it. Fuel pump is also in Diagnostic mode. Its not pressure its reading though. But would show if it is under more or less load. Only reading this sled is missing stock is AFR and ECU must be counting on the injector pulse reading to cover that. As long as all the readings you can see on guage in both standard and diagnostic mode are being used by the ECU to find a issue and go into safe mode or stop engine this motor is undoubtably as safe or safer "since you dont have to look "without guages unless modded. Problem is we dont know what the safeties that are there are ACTUALLY doing and trusting Yamaha has been tough to do lately.

Hope we will be able to read boost and A/F in the display when riding and not do it in diagnostic mode. So hope it will available on stock guage .

Back