• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Considering Removing OFT Steering Relocate

musselman

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 Ren XRS 900T, 2010 Nytro RTX
My girlfriend has a 2010 xtx that came with the steering relocate when we bought it, I am putting a tall windshield on but the stock handgaurds hit the windshield when turning. Looks like it would be fine with the stock location.

Also I noticed she has to ride with her knees touching the front panels in order to comfortably reach the bars, I have rotated them back as far as possible but it's still not great. She also can't see the gauge at all while sitting and I can't either really when riding it.

Does anyone have any feedback on removing this? I know this mod is highly regarded but I don't think it's a great fit for her, especially since she sits 99% of the time. I think I am going to go ahead with removing it unless you guys have some reasons I may not be aware of, thanks.

If I recall from the instructions, you have to gently bend the lower studs. I would think you'd be fine gently bending them back to put stock parts back on.
If you need the stock parts we could swap I'm sure - been looking for one.

The stock parts came with it so should be ok there, I'm going to remove the OFT and try the stock position to see how it feels before bending the studs back. I have never ridden a nytro without the relocate so not sure if this is a bad idea or not.

it is harder to turn, because of the strange arc of the bars stock. check out black diamond steering kit, does the same thing as the OFT relocate but differently (uses a u-joint steering shaft), it might be what your looking for.

cheers

Removed it and tried the position tonight in the garage, hard to say how it feels, I like being able to see the gauge though. May need to try it out on the trails to be sure, worst case it will need to go back on. The handgaurds clear the windshield fine now.

I've put about 10,000km on my nytro since 2011 without one and never really complained. I sit 80% of the time.
I've wanted to try one just to see what i'm missing really.

Is your windshield the tall one? I have the "med height" with side deflectors and stock handguards. Wonder if it would hit on mine too.

I have a mid and a tall windshield, the guards would just touch the tall at full lock (maybe 1 cm interference). The mid windshield was not even close to hitting with the steering relocate.

I might leave the relocate on and we could meet up and swap sleds for a while to test. I would like to try one without.

The relocate partially cures the weird #*$&@ steering angle that the oem setup produces.....makes you use your shoulder blades to turn the bars....and the steering effort is high on the nitro so the combo is just plain awful.
Even strong fit male riders find the oem Nytro leaves your shoulders and upper back/neck sore after riding....the ergos required to steer are just weird.

The relocate not only raises the bars but reduces the angle changing it to a more ntural push/pull arc than the up/down arc when oem.
This make sthe steering effort seem easier as you are using your shoulders and upper body to steer.
You do end up having to reach further forward and can't see the gauge......

I personally wouldn't ride a Nytro without the relocate. I think she will not like the oem steering.
Not a big deal swapping it back to stock but it is some tedious fookin a round especially adjusting the steering knuckle.

Thanks for the feedback, I got her to try the bars in the stock position and she didn't like it. I guess it's staying on, I will try and do some adjusting to get the tall windshield to fit.

Have ROX 2.5 double pivot risers on stock post. Allows for a more forward bars and easy stand when need too.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Have ROX 2.5 double pivot risers on stock post. Allows for a more forward bars and easy stand when need too.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same. Need some kind of adjustable riser to pivot the handle bars away from the windshield for clearance.
I've got the tall windshield with the OFT and a lake effect riser, with no issues. Running the SKINZ soft hand guards, but they come nowhere near the windshield.

it is harder to turn, because of the strange arc of the bars stock. check out black diamond steering kit, does the same thing as the OFT relocate but differently (uses a u-joint steering shaft), it might be what your looking for.

cheers
3 years with the Black Diamond relo...love it!

Thanks for the feedback, I got her to try the bars in the stock position and she didn't like it. I guess it's staying on, I will try and do some adjusting to get the tall windshield to fit.
Just mark windshield and cut it down just so guards clear-easy to do with hand grinder and cut off wheel.

I hate being cold, I use a tall with side deflectors and dumbo ears...I stay comfy and the bars don't hit the windy.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will definitely be putting the tall windshield on and will put the relocate back on for now. I may add a riser or something in the future to bring the bars further back.

Back