• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Er-1 message.

`07 Phazer mtx with McX turbo.

Was out riding last week and had an Er-1 message ("no signals received from the ECU") come up while riding and it shut down the engine. Cycled the key and all was normal. Sled ran normal for several hours after that. We had several feet of fresh snow and and the entire sled and myself were soaking wet and I attributed the problem to water getting somewhere it shouldn't.

The sled sat in a heated room for a week to hopefully dry out. I also had many things apart to work on at the same time.

Went out riding today in relatively deep snow again and all was normal. At one point I reversed back to help pull out a stuck friend. I stopped the engine with the kill switch. After a 10 min stop, the sled would not start.

10 seconds after turning on the key, the Er-1 message appears on the speedo. The fuel pump does not run, but the sled cranks. No relays trigger when I turn the key on. Trailside I checked fuses, swapped relays and checked for bad wires. I cannot enter diagnostic mode either.

After getting a tow home, I swapped the ECU and the speedo unit from another (stock) '07 Phazer I have. Same no start and error message problem. The ECU from the bad sled works fine in the other sled.

I am assuming it is a bad wire/connection somewhere. I also have handlebar risers, that I think may be straining the wires going to the speedo. Any suggestions on where I should start or something else that that could cause this?

Thanks

It could be as simple as a bad stop switch.You will need to get out the Ohmmeter and start checking.I assume you already checked the fuses?

Double check the wiring harness on the ECU and Speedo unit to make sure the pins are all there and everything is in good condition.

I am really banging my head against the wall on this one.
Tore into the harness and I really cannot find anything wrong. Good power and ground to the ECU. It starts to get warm after the key is on for a while , so I am pretty sure it is getting power. The output wires to the relays are good, as well as the ones between the speedo and ECU. None of the plugs are showing signs of damage or corrosion.
Everything points toward a bad ECU, but when I swap with another sled, I get the same result.
:o| :o| :o| :o| :o|

Have not tried swapping the regulator/rectifier. The way I read the wiring diagram, the regulator is on its own standalone circuit, so I doubt it would have an effect, but its worth a try.

Going to have another round at it tonight. Ill have a look for shorts to ground.
:die

Try leaving the "bad" ECU in your sled and just swapping
the speedometer with the once off the good sled.

If the bad ECU from your sled works in a different sled the problem is somewhere else.

I think I may be reaching the limits of my sanity trying to fix this!

Every combination of ecu's and speedo's.
Tried a fresh battery.
Tested every pin for a short.
Disconected the MCX ECU and checked every splice into the stock harness.
Opened the stock harness looking for anything odd.
Disconnected just about everything one plug at a time.
Did some internet searching - my speedo pickup is fine.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Probably spent almost 15 hours on this now and no further ahead than when I started. Yay.

I have finally found the problem. :Rockon:
It appears the cylinder identification sensor is faulty. The black and blue wires are a short circuit. These two wires provide the power to several Hall effect style switches, including the speedo pickup. This would explain why people who have damaged the speedo have had similar problems.
I am very relived to have finally found the problem! Thanks to all that helped!

;)! Electrical problems can be the toughest to solve.Glad you figured it out.Question:Will the sled run with this sensor disconnected?

cannondale27 said:
Question:Will the sled run with this sensor disconnected?

The (pdf) manual says this would give an error code 11, which claims it would be unable to start, but able to drive. That does't make sense to me; maybe it is a typo. When I get it back together enough to run, i'll give it a try and let you know.

Back