• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Excell exhaust repacking

mx3_ryder

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex GT
Has anyone with an excell exhaust done a repack and notice there is a second core with a heat wrap around it?

I did mine bout 3-4 yrs ago. Don't recall any heat wrap. But then again the ole memory isn't what it used to be.
What I can say is that I did a repack because I thought it needed it when it really didn't.
Post a pic maybe it'll jog my memory.

I know this is an old thread but how did you make out with the repack? I am doing one right now and noticed there is a secondary core with what looks like header wrap. Also the main packing looks like long hair, very strange.

There's nothing fancy or difficult needed to pack those mufflers. The original had some tape around the packing material, possibly to make it easier to install.
Get yourself a bag or 2 of quality packing and just stuff it full.
I say 2 bags cuz it seems to take a lot.
And use gloves or you'll be sratching yourself for hours.
Mine has been fine ever since I re-packed it.
They don't seem to need it very often.
But then again, I'm lucky to log a thousand miles a year.

BTW not sure what you mean by a secondary core and header wrap.
Mine (if I remember correctly) just had the inner round holed screen core with packing separating it from the outer silencer shell.

The "secondary core" I'm referring to is part of the inlet end cap and is about 3" long but much larger diameter than the main core. Photos below showing the core and hair packing.

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

Is that the Excell endcap? As stated above, it's been several years since I did mine. However, I do not remember my endcap looking like that one.
Just a different kind of packing.
It all does the same job.
Some packing is more like a wrap, some is just strands.

Ok inlet endcap. Sorry I was thinking of the outlet cap.
Just make sure that whatever packing you use that all of the core is covered.

That is the inlet endcap that connects to the y-pipe, the outlet endcap that you normally see has the excell logo.

My goal is to make this as quiet as possible at cruising speeds, I'm tired of the drone of the stock exhaust, mine was deafening.

That is the inlet endcap that connects to the y-pipe, the outlet endcap that you normally see has the excell logo.

My goal is to make this as quiet as possible at cruising speeds, I'm tired of the drone of the stock exhaust, mine was deafening.
I feel your pain with the drone. Unfortunately it seems to be inherent with the 4 cyl engine at certain rpm's. I don't think anyone's ever really found a way to "tune" it out.
As far as quiet, the stock exhaust is as quiet as it gets.
On longer rides I tend to wear ear plugs. I kinda hate to because I like to listen to the sound of things for any change in tone or frequency. So I can possibly avoid any costly mechanical issue.
But, the ear plugs make the ride soooo much more enjoyable and the drone soooo much more tolerable.

Back