• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Filleting the Nytro Muffler, Part 1

glmf

Extreme
Alright guys, found the post in the Apex section on opening the apex silencer and modding it for a slightly better sound. Looking to do the same to my Nytro muffler and would like some second opinions on what to remove.For starters, the inlet is the top tube in the pic. The pic is from my Blackberry so its not that great. I am thinking of removing the two smaller tubes in the middle(one on top of the other) and opening the baffle where the two small tubes pierce it, maybe like a one inch be two inch slot and welding her all back together. I don't want it to loud, just a touch louder than stock and I don't want to spend the big bucks on the aftermarket stuff as I already spent way more than expected this fall,, but then again, thats the way every fall goes! I will post a sound clip when done for anyone thats interested,,

Attachments

• Imported Photos 00072.jpg
    Imported Photos 00072.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 266

I haven't weighed it buts its real heavy. Its a great quality piece, some sort of Stainless Steel and very rugged, just needs a touch more sound. I actually like the sound of the stock system, just want it slightly louder,,

I've gutted/debaffled many stock ATV & snowmobile mufflers and by the looks of this one, do like you're thinkin', & only lose that middle pipe. This will give a little more sound without being obnoxious.

If a full performance sound is what you're goal is though, ditch the inlet tube & the middle tube(s). However this will be much louder.

Whatever you do, leave the outlet pipe complete.

And yes, a sound clip after you're done is a must!!

I gutted the whole thing on my mtx sounded good, but I ended up have to put heavier weights in my clutch cause my sled was over reving.

I like your idea let use know how it sound's. I might have to try that myself. And a sound clip would be great

muffler

If you look closely you'll see that there is actually two middle pipes. I would remove the two middle pipes and create one center slot . By this I mean cutting out the metal between the two center holes, thus making a large vertical slot. My two cents....

well sounds like that is the consensus, I will lose the two little tubes in the center and leave a slot in there place. The sound clip is probably three to four weeks away as the the sled is all apart, anyway, thanks for taking the time to post replies

glmf..... where are you from in maine ?i live in washburn up near presque isle,thanks for the pic,i was wondering about opening mine but wasnt sure which way would be the best to cut,i see now where i will be attacking the quiet problem

170 plus, I am from southern Maine, Sanford area. Glad that pic helped you, and if you need any help welding your back together let me know, I have a nice tig setup here at the house. I ride the county quite a bit and hit washburn many times each year, love it up there

the railroad bed that crosses the road right in town by the store ,i live right across the street from the that store,not hard for me to find the trail from here ,you'll have to let me know when your in the area,i can be to houlton or ft kent in an hour so no problem getting together for a ride

Removed the middle pipes as discussed and slightly too loud for my taste, would like to go back to stock. So as posted in the classifieds, now looking for a stock muffler so I don't have to take this all back apart again.

i love the sound,not too loud and just right when you squeeze it,also played with the clutching,stock yamaha stuff,just moved the weight around a little,this thing rocks,now to play with rear skid to keep the skis down a little better

170plus said:
i love the sound,not too loud and just right when you squeeze it,also played with the clutching,stock yamaha stuff,just moved the weight around a little,this thing rocks,now to play with rear skid to keep the skis down a little better
The Hygear trail package on all four shocks made for a much improved ride, and just about eliminated the ski lift. My clutching is spot on now with the 136" kit, and with the Cobra track hooking up like it does, this sled is a completely different animal,,,

Back