• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro Track or Gear Change

It seems like the spacer behind the brake rotor is stuck on the jack shaft. I have tried some penetrating fluid and a little heat, but no luck.

Any Suggestions?

moab11 said:
It seems like the spacer behind the brake rotor is stuck on the jack shaft. I have tried some penetrating fluid and a little heat, but no luck.

Any Suggestions?

did you remove the torx screw on the spacer?

moab11 said:
Yeah, removed it completely to try and get the penetrating oil in there.

just making sure you didnt overlook that, if you removed the torx screw it should slide off with zero problems. I know you have heated it up a little but can you tell if there is any heat damage to the spacer or the shaft? is there anything that looks like corrosion and/or dirt between the shaft and the spacer? has the case ever been opened before?

No heat damage to anything, just heating with a propane torch. Had the case apart two years ago to change the track and had zero problems, which is why this is so confusing. I can't see any signs of corrosion or dirt, everything looked clean and the sled is always covered and stored indoors.

I'm kind of wondering if some lock tite from the set screw leaked between the collar and the shaft, thus why I was trying the heat.

I am replacing the bearings and seals, so damaging those isn't a concern.

moab11 said:
No heat damage to anything, just heating with a propane torch. Had the case apart two years ago to change the track and had zero problems, which is why this is so confusing. I can't see any signs of corrosion or dirt, everything looked clean and the sled is always covered and stored indoors.

I'm kind of wondering if some lock tite from the set screw leaked between the collar and the shaft, thus why I was trying the heat.

I am replacing the bearings and seals, so damaging those isn't a concern.

that was the next question I had. since you are replacing the seals and bearings, maybe a little heat and a small prybar or small jawed bearing puller behind the spacer? just dont ruin the o-ring that is behind the spacer if you do end up trying that... unless you have a spare o-ring too

Tried again some more this morning. Even with it sitting overnight, the collar is still stuck.

When I tried to get behind it to pry it out, didn't feel the edge, so it must sit inside the seal a good ways.

Then I tried heating some more and putting the set screw back in to use that to pry against, and still no luck.

Anyone have some other tips for getting the reverse fork set in the reverse gear? I tried for about an hour and a half and not able to get it set in place. What ive gathered from here:
-Leave the fork dropped to the bottom and as the case cover is slid on, pull up on the linkage arm when it is at the reverse gear

Any super secrets to get this piece in? ☺

You are doing it backwards!
You need the lever in the up position slide the cover on and as it gets almost on drop the fork down over the gear.

It's something you just have to kinda feel...

I know it's not much help, but when you get it, you'll know what I mean and it will be a lot easier the next time. I can pretty much get mine back on in the first try now.

Back