• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

great sound- but

Just to play the devil's advocate here.... sometimes loud bikes can make some drivers panic. Because of the way sound travels through air and the way that gear ratio and throttle position can greatly affect the amount of noise being generated, very often a loud bike can sneak of up someone, then suddenly blast them with exhaust noise. Its the equivalent of sneaking up behind someone and yelling into their ear. Granted that drivers who would react badly to that shouldn't be on the road, but nevertheless they are. In general though, I suspect that this is much less an issue than people cutting off quiet bikes.

I'm torn about a bike. On one hand, less gas. On the other, rain, snow, ice, and crashing. I'm thinking that a smart might be in my future.

APEXLIGHTNING said:
Riding a bike is your choice, nobody is making you. if your reasoning for riding with loud pipes is that its unsafe, then dont ride it.

You riding a snowmobile is your choice, nobody is making you. Why dont you ride without a helmet or some other safety device to help you out in case of or prevent an accident. Thats what loud pipes are for me safety equipment plus I like the sound and of course it gives my bike more power. Ok well maybe not more power but they do make people take notice of you and on a bike that is a good thing. I ride my bike for the same reasons I ride my sled. BECAUSE I ENJOY IT THROUGHLY!

LazyBastard said:
Just to play the devil's advocate here.... sometimes loud bikes can make some drivers panic. Because of the way sound travels through air and the way that gear ratio and throttle position can greatly affect the amount of noise being generated, very often a loud bike can sneak of up someone, then suddenly blast them with exhaust noise. Its the equivalent of sneaking up behind someone and yelling into their ear. Granted that drivers who would react badly to that shouldn't be on the road, but nevertheless they are. In general though, I suspect that this is much less an issue than people cutting off quiet bikes.

I'm torn about a bike. On one hand, less gas. On the other, rain, snow, ice, and crashing. I'm thinking that a smart might be in my future.

LB if you did'nt play devils advocate you wouldn't be you : ) You make a valid point with the possibility of spooking a driver into making a wrong move. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Still I think the odds are greater that I won't be hit by a spooked driver vs someone that inadvertantly unknowingly pulls into a lane occupied by a quiet bike. I just got my first bike in almost 30 years it was quiet when i got it so i drilled out the baffles. It's still no where near as loud as some of these straight pipes on Harleys but loud enough to make people aware that I am next to them. I stopped riding when i was 23 after seeing a fellow rider get smashed under a semi from doing something stupid I am still very nervous about getting out on the freeway with all that traffic during rush hour especially in a large city like Minneapolis / StPaul I pretty much take back roads whenever possible. The enjoyment and gas savings makes it worthwhile.

1CrazySledder said:
I hear ya all on the unsafe issue. I just don't think it is fair that these bikes can keep their pipes even AFTER the ticket has been writen. On a sled, In WIS, your second ticket, the DNR can take your sled. WTF?
I live on a River and Lake, and there are alot of partying going on down here. Loud bikes drive right by my house all the time, which is only a few feet, and usually rattle my windows. I live in the wilderness, what's the differance if I was out on a sled? Nothing.
Let me keep my pipes so those drunk sledders hear me coming up around the bend. I'd pay the fines, just for these reasons, like you all that ride bikes. Plus they do sound kool.

1CS

Two words sums it up PRIVATE AND PUBLIC. You have a really good case if someone is on your land and is making a lot noise with loud pipes. You try to do the same thing on a public road and you will be ignored because you dont own the road but someone owns private land.

Sled Dog said:
1CrazySledder said:
I hear ya all on the unsafe issue. I just don't think it is fair that these bikes can keep their pipes even AFTER the ticket has been writen. On a sled, In WIS, your second ticket, the DNR can take your sled. WTF?
I live on a River and Lake, and there are alot of partying going on down here. Loud bikes drive right by my house all the time, which is only a few feet, and usually rattle my windows. I live in the wilderness, what's the differance if I was out on a sled? Nothing.
Let me keep my pipes so those drunk sledders hear me coming up around the bend. I'd pay the fines, just for these reasons, like you all that ride bikes. Plus they do sound kool.

1CS

Two words sums it up PRIVATE AND PUBLIC. You have a really good case if someone is on your land and is making a lot noise with loud pipes. You try to do the same thing on a public road and you will be ignored because you dont own the road but someone owns private land.

Good point. Isn't some of the trails public land though? Owned by the county or State. Just as roads are. I know most of the trail systems are in fact private, so that's where we loose at. We have to travel through private to get to public and vice versa. I don't know how many times I've heard of races having to be moved because of the loud pipes on race sleds which the racing was on public and private land. To many people just complaining to be complaining I think.

Yeah, I wish there was enough snow on the roadways to run my sled, but you know, I'd get a ticket for that to. lol ( Down here, anyway )

Okay, enough from me on this one. lol

-1CS

-1CS

i live about 25 yards off of the trans canada highway and have to listen to those bikes rattle the windows in my house for 8 months of the year. and the ironic part is that some of those people are the ones that had the trans canada snowmobile trail closed this year because they dident want to listen to noisy sled going through our town. so its ok that bikes can do what ever they want but sleds have to play by a different set of rules? mayby its different in the states but in ontario about 75% of the trails are on crown land. witch would make them public land the same as the highways.

APEXLIGHTNING said:
i live about 25 yards off of the trans canada highway and have to listen to those bikes rattle the windows in my house for 8 months of the year. and the ironic part is that some of those people are the ones that had the trans canada snowmobile trail closed this year because they dident want to listen to noisy sled going through our town. so its ok that bikes can do what ever they want but sleds have to play by a different set of rules? mayby its different in the states but in ontario about 75% of the trails are on crown land. witch would make them public land the same as the highways.

Sorry about your dilema I hate to see any trail get closed and personally I have no issue with loud pipes on sleds either. There are different rules I don't make them i just have to somewhat follow them. Maybe the reason they are a little harder on sleds is that sound tends to travel further in winter when there are no leaves on the tree's and the temperatures are a little more frigid. Complain to your province if the trans canada highway gets too loud! Here by the Minneapolis international airport people complained about the noise and the airport commision had to replace all their windows with higher quality soundproof ones. A lot of people said they knew it was noisy when they moved in but as times change (more aeroplanes) it got worse and worse. If they put a highway by my house after I bought it I sure would complain, and if the noise levels are as you described the least they should do is provide some sort of sound barrier like they do near residential areas around here.

APEXLIGHTNING said:

100% of roads are public use! First off if you live only 25 meters from the TC1 then you have to be driven crazy by the big truck tires and engines as well. I find it kind of hard to believe someone who loves riding a bike in the summer would frown on someone riding a sled in the winter. I would say these types are few and far between and they could make the same arguement on you complaining of the bikes in the summer. Some of the best people I know I met while sledding and I can say the same for people who ride bikes. I have met some super people on bikes as well. In fact they would be all over it and saying more power to you man is what I would expect them to say. It takes all kinds and lets also remember one thing a lot of people dont think of putting into the equation with people and sleds. I think its not so much the sledding that people are against so much in the winter. But rather the fact they see someone on one, and I dont care who they are they really wish down deep that it was them out there having that much fun. Some people stay indoors and stay there till spring only going out when they have too and they get irritable, nasty and some down right ugly. They are lacking the vitamin D the sun's rays supply to skin. They need to get out more and enjoy the outdoors more but they dont. So when they see someone out there enjoying themselves on a sled that caught their attention by the slight noise of the pipes on most sleds and it is a target to them and because of their nasty mood they dont like it and become jeolous. Yes its true, jeolous of someone enjoying themselves on a cloudy -20C snowy day and they resent you for it. Cross country sno skiers resent us because they have to use body power to move and they have to go slow or they cant afford the money to buy a sled whatever so they look at us and we become the target again. These people should be taking vitamin D everyday and going to tanning salons or very long trips to the Bahamas as long as they leave us alone who cares. Man I think I am starting to rant so I will leave it alone here. I think you will get the jest of what I mean and if you think about it I bet you can put a face to this type of winter person. You might even add a story of a person that you met that fits this description. :-o

Sled Dog said:
snowsweat said:
Then shouldn't you point them forward?

Sound travels in all directions and faster than my bike can go. If people would learn how to drive and give motorcycles the same respect as an SUV then I would have quiet pipes. That is not going to happen so I will take my slight chances of getting a ticket and pay it using the bike. The money saved riding a bike pays for a ticket in no time. With quiet pipes and no extra lighting in the front people say when they cut off a bike in front and are the ones at fault. I DIDNT SEE IT! Which is a bunch of crap if you cant see a bike then you should not be driving at all. Everyone should be made to ride a bike to feel your vulnerability on the road. To see how many times in one day you get cut off in front and tailgated from the rear then all of a sudden you will start to see bikes. Since riding a bike I know for a fact I am a much better driver than before becasue you have to be on major alert at all times. On a bike even when your right you lose in an accident.

Some where in the quote above you say it's a bunch of crap that bikes are not seen and those who don't see them shouldn't be driving. We're conditioned as drivers to look both ways before pulling out into traffic and 99.9 % of the time our minds are telling us to look for cars or similar vehicles. It's not a question of being a bunch of crap, it's an honest occurence that's taking place in the human mind. I consider myself an excellent driver and on more than one occassion I've started to pull out into a lane with an oncoming motorcycle. Does this mean I shouldn't be driving?

As an aviator, I'm taught to take the very real blind spots that each one of us has seriously. This isn't an excuse, but rather a fact and I wouldn't be surprise that without the proper scanning techniques coupled with a never ending awareness to expect motorcycles anywhere, a lot of cycle/car accidents will keep occuring. All with very experienced drivers who should continue driving.

I'm with LB on the loud pipe thing; I've often been startled which spooked me into making an abrupt movement with either my steering wheel and or brake; neither which may have been the proper action.

jf

ecopter said:
Sled Dog said:
snowsweat said:
Then shouldn't you point them forward?

Sound travels in all directions and faster than my bike can go. If people would learn how to drive and give motorcycles the same respect as an SUV then I would have quiet pipes. That is not going to happen so I will take my slight chances of getting a ticket and pay it using the bike. The money saved riding a bike pays for a ticket in no time. With quiet pipes and no extra lighting in the front people say when they cut off a bike in front and are the ones at fault. I DIDNT SEE IT! Which is a bunch of crap if you cant see a bike then you should not be driving at all. Everyone should be made to ride a bike to feel your vulnerability on the road. To see how many times in one day you get cut off in front and tailgated from the rear then all of a sudden you will start to see bikes. Since riding a bike I know for a fact I am a much better driver than before becasue you have to be on major alert at all times. On a bike even when your right you lose in an accident.

Some where in the quote above you say it's a bunch of crap that bikes are not seen and those who don't see them shouldn't be driving. We're conditioned as drivers to look both ways before pulling out into traffic and 99.9 % of the time our minds are telling us to look for cars or similar vehicles. It's not a question of being a bunch of crap, it's an honest occurence that's taking place in the human mind. I consider myself an excellent driver and on more than one occassion I've started to pull out into a lane with an oncoming motorcycle. Does this mean I shouldn't be driving?

As an aviator, I'm taught to take the very real blind spots that each one of us has seriously. This isn't an excuse, but rather a fact and I wouldn't be surprise that without the proper scanning techniques coupled with a never ending awareness to expect motorcycles anywhere, a lot of cycle/car accidents will keep occuring. All with very experienced drivers who should continue driving.

I'm with LB on the loud pipe thing; I've often been startled which spooked me into making an abrupt movement with either my steering wheel and or brake; neither which may have been the proper action.

jf

Your mind should be telling you to look for everything including kids on bicycles, pedestrians, animals and yes motorcycles too. Complacency is not an excuse but a cause of accidents. If you cant see what is coming toward you or beside you and cant stand to wait for someone else who has as much right to be on the road as you. Then YES it is a bunch of crap and that type of driver does not belong on the roads. I stand with my first statement.

The loud pipes are meant to get your attention much like a police or ambulance vehicle does. How many police cars or ambulances get hit? Very little!

Back