• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated Footrails On The Mountain Lite And They Work Great

UP bushman

VIP Member
Heat Exchanger Installation

As I stated in the review I love this sled so this project was worth it. When riding with a friend in deep powder that has a RS Rage it occured to me that his footrails are always clean. So the brain started working and the project had to be done.

I looked at a Rs Rage and thought that would be way to much work to route it around the tunnel. So I was browsing Ebay and saw left and right side footrail heat exchangers from a 2003 Polaris XC 800. They had in and out ports at the front and I was the only bidder shipped to the door for $29.99 excellent.

A bit off cutting took place to get them to fit the short footrails and the delta box portion of the frame. The existing support piece had to come out, took em in to be welded up and mounted them on. Piped under the engine in front of the oil drain plug and back behind the starter with aluminum tube. Made the final connections with coolant hose and anchored as needed.

It was a bit more complex at times but it was nice to see it finished. On the original test ride I noticed the heat exchangers were warm but could be warmer and that was at 45 degrees. So I removed the radiator and fan yes thats right, and went and tested again about 20 miles and no overheating. After the ride at operating temprature I let it idle in the garage for 13 minutes before it shut itself off.

The final test came on Saturday at 45 degrees in wet snow for 70 miles and no matter what I did it would not overheat. If it wont overheat with these condions it will be just fine any other time. Here are the pictures for any interested in tackling the project. Total cost to do the job was $200.00, it took more time than money.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 727
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 709
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 695
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 731
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 717
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 740
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 767

I think this looks like a great project and is probably raising alot of eyebrows right now. Nice job, hope it keeps working great for you.

Great Job!!! this is something that yamaha should have on from the factory.... i loved that phazer every time i have rode one, except for the snow build up.... so used to clean yami footwells.....

Do you guys think they won't get bashed open by slamming them into an unseen rock? I would do this job myself if I wasn't worried about that.

Very Nice Job!

I've been thinking of doing the same mod because I'm also frustrated with the snow build-up on the rails. Is there an after market heat-exchanger that I can buy that fits well and that I can install without welding? I saw one in a catalog a while back but I did not persue it at the time. Now I'm getting the itch to ride (it snowed here in Grand Lake, CO yesterday!!) and it's time to get the sleds ready!

Max

rfabro said:
Do you guys think they won't get bashed open by slamming them into an unseen rock? I would do this job myself if I wasn't worried about that.

The only time I've seen that style get torn open was in a multi sled crash.

with the in an out right next to each other it would be sinple to bypass with a short piece of pipe in a pinch

Good point. It would be easy enough to have a bypass kit in the tool box. I might have to go for this. This would help with the overheating, too.

All our other Yamaha's had them and I never had one ripped open why would it be a problem on the mountain light?
Great idea I may just have to do the same.

For those of you wondering how they work check out the pictures. We got 18" of snow, wet on the botoom powder on the top. It sure is nice not to digging that snow off those foot rails. That was after 20 miles of BUSH riding.

Attachments

• IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 676
Another update on the project, here are some pictures. Did some ditch banging and powder riding.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 645
Very nicely done!!

I guess I'm going to have to add this to my never-ending project list.

Thanks for posting the pictures, they're very helpful!

Max

Update

I can't tell you what a huge difference the tunnel being enclosed and the heated footrails make. When I buy a sled I keep it for a very long time. The only other major is suspension more on that to come. I'll attach some pictures on next update. Expecting big snow dump to come.

Check this out on a 79 mile bush powder ride, pictures of a Doo with me. This is why it was worth a whole days work and only $200.00. Temp was 28 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 664
hey bud, that bag you have mounted on back, that is exactly what I am looking for. I talked with you on the phone about a year ago talking about the mtn lite as I own one also. I mentioned at that time I wanted to heat the rails but am just now getting serious about it. Still loving the setup? Lenny

Back