• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How do I..........?

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
I'm posting here because it'll get more looks plus I think the question could pertain to other models. But please move it to the RS forum if required.

Sled = 2005 Vector ER

The attached pictures show what I call the main link between the steering arm that goes down the RS of the sled and the center steering linkages in the front center of the sled.

Both heim joints have tapered ends and my guess is that the old ones may very well be difficult to take off. I'm guessing a dealer has a special tool or a special trick to do this. Maybe someone out there can help me with some tips.

I'm very hesitant to tackle this myself as if I screw something up, it'll have to go to a repair shop and the rest of my season is likely done. Yes, I can wait until summer.

TIA for any help you can give.

Attachments

• 20210204_184800M.jpg
    20210204_184800M.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210204_184745M.jpg
    20210204_184745M.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 132

What's wrong with them, what problem are they causing.

After 20K+ miles, there's slop in both joints, especially the one in the center of the sled. I'm working on tightening up the steering and this is just one place I'm working on.

Have you tried asking a service tech how they would remove them? I will sometimes go to a dealership and ask to talk to a tech about stuff like this, and generally they have no issue with letting me walk into their shop and ask their tech some questions. Most of the time I walk away with some useful info, or at the very least some insight as to how things are meant to come apart and what to try if things don't go as planned.

A small 2 jaw gear puller? Maybe a wiper arm removal tool like this would work?

61xusKdkymL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Or just whack the stud with a hammer :D

I was at my local Yami dealer today and the wrench said to hit it with a hammer. Nothing will break....he assured me. There's a first time for everything and it usually happens to me.:drink:

Don't laugh because this works great for me. Harbor Freight composite splitting wedge with slot cut for width of stud. Non marring.IMG_20210205_164140005.jpg

sounds like a tie rod end on any heavy truck or car. typically if i do not have the right size pickle fork, i smack beside where it goes through the spindle with the apropriate sized hammer for the vehicle. if you have new nuts for the new tie rod ends, you can thread them on so that the tip of the stud is flush with the nut and beat on the nut to remove it. for areas that you cannot get at the nut, you can use a wedge like above or just hit the side next to the knuckle with a chisel. do this all the time at work on heavy truck with a 16lb sledge.

You just hit it with a hammer. The female portion it fits into that is.

I agree with the dealership technician. If you can hit the part the tie rod or steering linkage helm joint connects to with a hammer. The vibration should work. I have disconnected thousands of tie rod ends and ball joints. Automotive ones mind you. I have also used Pickle Forks. When I did not need to care about the grease boot.

Thanks for all the help!! I'm wondering why I'm not getting email notifications for all these replies though! Will check my setting.

The "hit it with a hammer" trick worked. 2 or 3 hits on each and they popped out. I was nervous hitting it so hard but it worked! On to the next project (cleaning carbs) as I've got no one to ride with. :dunno:

Back