• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just like getting back together......

revster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Nytro RTX SE
.....with an old girlfriend. It never takes long before you remember why you dumped her.

I had a 2009 Nytro that I had sunk a lot of money into and It was an awesome sled. It was extended to 144 with iceage rails and did really well on our annual mountain trip. But I decided I needed something lighter.... enter the 2012 Polaris Switchback Assault. Now this sled was awesome, it totally ripped....for 3 hours.

3 Hours into a 5 day trip a crank bearing went and I was getting towed back to town. Ah yes, thats right, I went to a 4-stroke Yamaha for this very reason!! It took 3 of us to load the switchback onto the trailer, it didnt seem lighter than a Nytro at that point..... The Nytro always had the ability to move under its own power!!

Anyways, I just wanted to remind you why you ride a Yamaha 4-stroke!! Take care team blue, I gotta go trade the YZ250 on a YZF450, Its snowbike time!!! Later

Good to see you still around revster! I always loved your sled/build!

Sucks to hear about the polaris, but I have to ask since I have been debating the same change, would you do it again?

I bought a 2015 Skidoo Renegade 900 ACE this season but I much prefer riding the phazer. I let the wife have the skidoo.

The Phazer has personality - you ride it. The skidoo is just bland - just sit and turn.

I really like Yamaha and hope they bring something new and comptitive.

Last edited:
tried a snowbike and there tons of fun to ride in the trees (small hills).....I would consider buying one

Good to see you still around revster! I always loved your sled/build!

Sucks to hear about the polaris, but I have to ask since I have been debating the same change, would you do it again?

Thanks! but ....No I wouldn't! If I could go back now I would have bought a narrow front end for the mountains and kept it for a couple more seasons.

That sled should have been one that was retired to the back of the garage and kept as a spare/wife/kids sled. But who knows the guy that bought it lives two streets over and hasn't used it much, maybe I'll buy it back someday!

But, I have a line on a gently used YZ450F so the snowbike operation is proceeding!!!

I tore down the Polaris engine, it was the PTO rod bearing that went. :4STroke:

My neighbour's Polaris 800 blew out the piston shirts a few weeks ago. Only at 3,000 kms. He said it was a known issue and the engine was on borrowed time. But now it should be good to go for a long time.

It weird cause all the poo guys say they have to be rebuilt before 5000KM- which is like a season

I had a 2012 Switchback Pr0-R. Five times in 12,000 km that thing stranded me in the woods and three of those times was due to a blown engine. The last time I was so disgusted I abandoned the thing overnight hoping someone would steal or burn it.

Problem with the polaris was the design of the motor. The way the pistons come up and down at more sever angles from what I understand. My nephew has a pro rmk that he rebuilt this winter before he headed to the mountains with it. 1900 miles and the pistons were pretty much junk. There's a aftermarket fix for it that shims the cylinders up so the pistons travel in a straigher line is what I was told.

There is a fix for that . It's called a Sidewinder MTX
I called it an SRV XTX.
lol8.gif

Piston skirts on the polaris are not long enough they rock in the cylinders and destroy them selfs. Saver kit is a spacer and new pistons with longer skirts

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Back