• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Let's Talk Snow Trackers

apex55

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
So after many years with pilot skis I have decided to pull out my old stock skis and go to an aggressive set of snow trackers which I bought from Travis at Barn of Parts. The directions say to reduce your ski pressure by 75% and to bring the strap out to the furthest hole.

Is this the set up most of you have used?
So that would mean I would extend the transfer rod out?
Set up is:
Sled is 06 Apex ER
Track is extended to 128" with ice ripper track
Fox air shocks on front
Stock mono shock with multi rate big boy spring

On my o6 I didn't change anything. Just put them on and set toe to 0. On a Mono nothing really changes ski pressure from adjusting the rear skid! Adjustments in the Mono (transfer rod and limiter strap) only limit the amount of transfer and coupling point. If your front strap is loose when your setting on the sled it won't put any less pressure on the ski's by lengthening it more. Just don't over steer! If you start pushing in a corner with loose snow and you keep turning the bars farther and then catch hard snow they will bite and can flip you! It don't do you any good to turn the bars farther any way. A little getting used to and and you will experience the most precise handling ever!

Most people pulled up the strap to get the front end to bite with regular carbides. Snowtrackers instructs you to go back to the factory strap setting.
Set the toe to 0 and you are good to go.
Transfer rod is a personal preference. I have mine set at "min". I find this keeps the skis planted coming out of a corner with the power on.
The steering does feel lighter with the Trackers.

Most people pulled up the strap to get the front end to bite with regular carbides. Snowtrackers instructs you to go back to the factory strap setting.
Set the toe to 0 and you are good to go.
Transfer rod is a personal preference. I have mine set at "min". I find this keeps the skis planted coming out of a corner with the power on.
The steering does feel lighter with the Trackers.
Minimum is all in or all out?

Minimum is all in or all out?
Just in caes you did not know....There is a tool that comes in the tool kit that has a gauge on it. min and max are not all the way in or all the way out on the treads.

upload_2017-4-2_22-52-38.png

I use aggressive snowtrackers on 2012 Apex XTX with iceripper track with limiter all the way out then brought slight transfer to the stock skis to to elimimate a slight push. I don't have any over steering just precise cornering and best handling of any Apex I have owned.

In my opinion the beauty of the trackers is that they will work excellent no mater what you have for ski pressure! The only reason they instruct you to remove ski pressure is to alleviate the occasional push/bite situation, basically making them less aggressive. I leave the pressure on and just learn to ride accordingly.

Good choice. Best Ski & carbide combo a number of us found.
Limiter one hole in from full length & transfer rod on 3/4 transfer was the best for me on my 2006 Apex GT, 2011 Apex SE & 2013 Apex SE.
However, I Trail drag race a little bit & like some air of the bumps on occasion.
If you don't do that and are looking to rail. Reduce the transfer rod to Min. as mentioned above.

Now that spring is here, the trackers are scratched, bent a little and generally rough after a winter of driving. Anyone do any maintenance on them? IE filing them sharp or something like that.
Jim
Winnipeg Manitoba CANADA

They self sharpen. The carbide is only 1/8" thick so the steel around the carbide wears faster leaving a 1/8" edge, plenty sharp for trail. I usually get around 6,000mi out of a set and never had to straighten or touch them!

This off season I will do some maintenance on mine. I think its time for new ones after 10k miles. I noticed this season that it didn't turn well on pavement.
IMG_20170311_155336.jpg
IMG_20170311_155415.jpg

must ride in real good conditions mine look like that after about 5000 miles. I try to catch them before they get that far as you can just replace the center part if you don't let the outers wear down to far.

Now that spring is here, the trackers are scratched, bent a little and generally rough after a winter of driving. Anyone do any maintenance on them? IE filing them sharp or something like that.
Jim
Winnipeg Manitoba CANADA
I power wash the skis and trackers to remove any sand between and spray paint them to keep them from rusting. If the "wings" are bent bad I would take them off and make them straight in a vise then paint. If the carbide runner is gone you can buy only the center section and replace.

must ride in real good conditions mine look like that after about 5000 miles. I try to catch them before they get that far as you can just replace the center part if you don't let the outers wear down to far.
Was going to change them 3 years ago but the winters have been less than ideal. Didn't want to beat up new carbides on the rocks and gravel so I held off.
Got my monies worth out of these.:D

Back