• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lights, Camera and Action

steiner

Staff member
Looking to buy a camera this season instead of borrowing one.
I have been using a friend's GoPro Hero(?) Not completely sold on the GoPro system.
Open to looking at other brands.
I've seen a Contour. I like the way they mount and they don't look as goofy as a GoPro in a waterproof case.
What do you use and why? Likes, dislikes and editing software .

Contour! Cause they are compact can take hours of video on a single battery! I got ejected from my sled when I hit a rock on the lake I didn't see! Hit hard bounced and rolled. Couldn't walk for a day and a half after but the camera went unscathed. Only thing that pissed me off was I didn't get any footage of it. Pic of the rock a few weeks later after the snow melted a bit. It was covered over and I hit it about 50mph. Two sleds had passed over just to the right and missed the rock, looked like a great place to get a bit of air. It was! Had crossed the hump between the islands before never found the rock! When the sled landed about 50 ft after the rock it came down out of shape (didn't hit the rock square on) and ejected me. The guys behind said it looked like a meteor strike. LOL!

Other plus over go pro is I wear the camera all the time. Have way less fear of knocking it off on a tree branch as well! Forgot to add mine is the older one and it uses a single slide you can move with gloves to turn it on or off. Newer ones I think have a remote as well as the slide. Simplicity is always best.

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
K going to add that the Contour +2 uses a removable battery like mine. The roam 3 and roam 2 use a built in battery with a three hour charge time. Not as handy on the trail. I carry three battery's with me and charge them on either a computer or I have a wall cord that I use that will also work with the power point on the sled so you can charge with the sled . I Found three battery's gives me about 5 or 6 hours of video. Enough for the day but I have thought of buying a fourth! You have to hook to a computer to change setting in mine but the new +2 can connect to your phone and you can change settings with it ( Resolution and FrameRate, Exposure Level, Sharpness, Contrast, Audio Level, White Balance, GPS Sample Rate, GPS Power, and Auto-Shut Off). I found once I got mine set how I wanted it I never changed it. The new one also has GPS so you can tell where the video was shot.

I have a GoPro, my friend has a Contour. The Contour has limited field of view compared to my GoPro with a ridiculously wide field of view. Im not sure how his is on battery life, but I wish my GoPro lasted a little longer. I can usually get about 75%-85% of my riding time, The warmer it is, the longer the battery lasts. I'm gonna invest in a few batteries so I can just swap them out.

For the money vs. features a SJ cam would be hard to beat. SJ5000x Elite I think is the flagship right now. It does most of what the go pro 4 does equally well or better for under 150. It is unquestionably the value leader. The elite added on gyro stabilization and now video is steadier than the go pro along with being able to be shot in up to 4k.

xiaomi yi is another super cheap yet hangs right in with the go pro hero (not the 4) camera, under 70, plus add 25 in accessories and for under 100 you have a pretty nice setup.

I have the contour cause Yamaha gave them to us free with our vipers in 14. I like it because of the long battery life and they are pretty cheap on Amazon I bought 4 spare batteries for about $60 and keep them all charged to seap out. The field of view is narrower than the go pro but in some ways I like the quality along with the gps live tracking and Bluetooth playback to the phone.

It is also smaller and easier to mount. on my BVS2 modular I made a mount that goes in the threaded flashlight hole in the right side and the open face it is under the visor so it is not catching on stuff and records exactly what I see.

The video off the card is a lot better than it shows up on you tube but here is one shot with the contour on the BVS2 helmet.

1Visor Cam.jpg

Gopro x2, extra battery's are cheap.
And gopro is U.S.A. at least money stay's here?
And seems like decent customer service.

I have nothing against Go Pro cameras for quality or picture. Just I want a camera that is unobtrusive and doesn't stick up or out in harms way. I want a camera I can wear full time, everyday all day! I want one that gets more then an hour out of a battery and is easy to turn on and off with my gloves on. I want one that is weather proof and even waterproof. So far all I see out there is a Contour +2

Sasq, I have a Contour Roam 2. What settings are you using?

I have the contour cause Yamaha gave them to us free with our vipers in 14. I like it because of the long battery life and they are pretty cheap on Amazon I bought 4 spare batteries for about $60 and keep them all charged to seap out. The field of view is narrower than the go pro but in some ways I like the quality along with the gps live tracking and Bluetooth playback to the phone.

It is also smaller and easier to mount. on my BVS2 modular I made a mount that goes in the threaded flashlight hole in the right side and the open face it is under the visor so it is not catching on stuff and records exactly what I see.

The video off the card is a lot better than it shows up on you tube but here is one shot with the contour on the BVS2 helmet.

View attachment 111847
IMG_20150613_163636.jpg
Gopro

The Garmin has a pretty nice assortment of accessories already. Click the link I posted above and then click on the "Accessories" tab below the photo to take a look at what they offer.

I hope I don't get too much flack for this but I bought one of these cheapo Chinese Gopro knockoff cameras. I haven't used it on anything except my boat but was really surprised to see how the picture came out. My boat is a flat bottom v-drive type raceboat and doesn't ride very smooth. This camera must have image stabilization because it took all the vibration out of the video. It also has a screen on the back that turns on whenever the camera is on so you can adjust it so it records what you want to look at. There's nothing worse to watch than a video that only shows the front wheel of a dirt bike or the skiis on a sled. The price is cheap enough that I said WTF and bought it to try it out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/351369351909?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Ken......

Back