• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a non bias comparison...

monte1214

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Website
www.portperrysnowmobileclub.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX-SE
I'm currently on an '11 Apex xtx that I really like, and I'm a 99.9% groomed trail rider.
Now...my "groomed" trails can either be total crap, or they can be flatter than piss on a plate, or anywhere in between.

I'll be snow checking NEXT Spring, and when looking at the Viper, it seems that the R-TX DX or the L-TX DX will be the one for me.

Here's the tricky part...my riding buddy has a 1200 GSX Doo, and after logging some kms on it, I'm really thinking that this sled is a possibilty for me as well. I've bled Blue my whole sled life (20yrs) and making the switch will be a hard one, but I'd really like to hear some feedback on the 2 sleds.

Storage options are a big thing that I look at, as I like to carry some stuff that just doesn't fit into that small spot in the back of the seat. (My Apex has saddlebags)
Doo seems to be the leader when it comes to that kinda stuff. That Linq systems looks slick. The Viper though is showing more Storage options as well, so that's good.

All input is greatly appreciated, as when it comes time to pull the trigger, I'll be looking to see who's giving me the best bang for my buck. (Trade in Value, Warranty, Extra's)
Service isn't a huge deal, as I have both Doo and Yamaha Dealers close to me.

I'd get the 1200 Doo. IMO for groomed trails you will love it. They ride nice, handle great, are very reliable, and they have great resale.

The Viper also rides decent and handles great. They just don't seem to be as reliable and from what I've seen locally, resale isn't as high.

i had a 2012 Apex and Traded it for the Viper LTX. 3200 trouble free miles. The Most comfortable sled i have EVER owned, and I have had about 35 of all brands--not many Polaris though ( not a tall man sled ). Resale value is a non issue for me as this sled is a keeper. I have a windshield bag and saddlebags. Go to Doo-talk and you'll find an equal amount of problems. I was in the same boat as you and reserched and rode the 1200 doo. The Doo motor did not seem to be a high mile motor from what I have read with problems happening at higher (7k plus ) miles. I like to keep my sled for around 10k miles. What sealed the deal for me was riding the 1200--hated it. Felt very front heavy and cheaply made. Now granted the Viper isn't up to Yamaha usual fit and finish but to those who think it is riddled with problems are mistaken. Yes ther are some issues for SOME, but all in all I think that is has been a pretty succesful debut.
Let the non Viper owners bash away!!!!

Not sure what the hype is about the Ace. It is a turd.

Going from an apex to an ace is a big power drop.

The Nytro motor is still a better motor than the 1200 doo. In the viper chassis it works really well as handling is excellent. Clutching is key though.

Since it is a first year sled, it was bound to have a few issues. Most have not had any problems at all. I have not had any that prevented me from riding it.

I would drive the viper and see for your self. The motor is just more exciting.

Resale can not be determined yet as there are so few out there to compare.

I have a renegade Backcountry 800r. I prefer the viper over it. It is less twitchy, more planted and handles more confidently.

Well to be honest, I think you should keep your Apex or get another one. Can't beat the speed and the power steering. Between the doo and the Viper....
I would think they are pretty close to power and speed. The Viper rides really nice and handles great and the same with the doo. By next spring order they should have the Viper pretty well figured out. They both have good storage options. As far as reliability in the motors I would think they are both pretty good. I don't have that much seat time on the doo. But I think the 1049 is a little more fun. I think they are pretty equal with everything they do. So to me it's a matter of what color you want and what feels more comfortable for you and what you do. Resale value will come up on the Viper after a few years. Really no sled gets great resale for a new model until the bugs get ironed out.
I really think you should decide on your own! Drive them both and go with what's better for you. Are opinion shouldn't matter all that much. That's a lot of money to spend. I have had a few issues this year, but I know the doo has issues as well.
You have a lot of time to read up on them both. Find out what dealer give the better deal.

Hmmmm, going from an Apex XTX to a Viper....hard call.

Honestly, I love my Viper more than any other sled. I had an Attak 136, loved the ride and performance, hated the "drone" from exhaust and all the torque arms, track clips and slides I went thru. But....only once it didn't get me home.

I have the XTX and I ride trail and off trail. If I was only trail, I would have a different Viper like the one you are looking at. Yes, some bugs to be worked out on the Viper, but mine has yet to let me down.

The 1200....I only rode 1 awhile ago and I think it was a good sled, but not what I would ride. I am 6' even and 220, I was uncomfortable. The chaincase on the 1200 was skipping then also, do 80....pop out of gear....slow down and then it would pop back in, so I was like....WTF? storage in the rear pack would be about the same.

DOn't know what else to ya man..... Just got to ride them all and pick your sled that fits you.

loudelectronics said:

90hp is hardly a turd in my opinion (maybe the 600 is a turd). On the plus side, the 900 has a sub 500lb dry weight and good trail manners. Getting 200 miles to a tank is cool.

Maybe next Spring the 'Doo will have a 1200 Ace and updated bodywork... that would be a sweet ride.

The 3rd year Viper will be on my wish list but I'd need to see a muffler fix and what's up with the oil separator issue?

Mile9c1 said:
loudelectronics said:

90hp is hardly a turd in my opinion (maybe the 600 is a turd). On the plus side, the 900 has a sub 500lb dry weight and good trail manners. Getting 200 miles to a tank is cool.

Maybe next Spring the 'Doo will have a 1200 Ace and updated bodywork... that would be a sweet ride.

The 3rd year Viper will be on my wish list but I'd need to see a muffler fix and what's up with the oil separator issue?

I seen a race from a doo dealer, the 900 ace vs. 600 e tec, and it wasn't even close. In 660 feet the 900 ace was like 2 seconds slower. So that's a turd in my book. I don't think any guys with a little bit of ability would be happy with the ace! It's for young riders or people that just cruise, slow cruise. It might handle really good, but so will any sled that's going slow! It's just not going to get any rider with average or higher ability! Sure the 900 ace has it's place, bit if considering a Viper for a choice, the ace should not even be brought up!

FPP just released a turbo kit for ace900 with stock mufler 140+hp, and it's faster then 800etec with mods. It's on his Facebook.

fxnytroxtx said:
FPP just released a turbo kit for ace900 with stock mufler 140+hp, and it's faster then 800etec with mods. It's on his Facebook.

Lol...they will turbo anything!

I really like the Viper, and I was very close to buying one, but was really hesitant due to it being a 1st year sled, and the whole AC thing.

I originally thought that there'd be nothing else that I would look at, but that 1200 GSX my buddy has really impressed me.

I'm 6' and 225lbs and both sleds "fit" me good.

monte1214 said:
I really like the Viper, and I was very close to buying one, but was really hesitant due to it being a 1st year sled, and the whole AC thing.

I originally thought that there'd be nothing else that I would look at, but that 1200 GSX my buddy has really impressed me.

I'm 6' and 225lbs and both sleds "fit" me good.

I'm in the same situation, except different sled. It's tough! I have a lot invested in my Viper. Oh well I'll figure it out!... :o|

And on the turbo 900 ace, why spend money for a turbo when you could get a 800 that would be faster, and probably cheaper?

Had your same problem last year viper -1200 ?? Can tell you that the viper is a great trail sled . Handles and rides better then my 11 apex did but is lacking in power on lake. As for resale have a look on kijiji 1200 take a beating in our area. I only had two hot start problems in 2400 km sure fix will be out by fall. Also your dealer is something to consider my yamaha dealer is awesome to deal with. Wish I had some seat time on a 1200 for a real comparison but I am very happy with the viper, so far so good the ac thing does worry me!! And my red sled looks sick !!

Traded my 2012 Apex XTX for a 2014 Viper LTX DX, 4000 kms only occasional hot start issue, always started after second try.Yamaha rep at sneak peak said reflash will be done before next season.Better ride and handling, still miss top end of Apex.No regrets.

Back