• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono shock spring identification

yank

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 rs venture
2006 rs rage
1971 elan
I just ordered a new spring on eBay which is allegedly an 8kg big boy spring. After removing my stock 06 RS rage spring, I noticed they appear identical. Same weight(2kg) and same length. They feel very similar . Anybody know how to tell which is which before I put the new one in? I'd just as soon sell it if it is the same. Thanks!

Maybe send a PM to hibshman25 and ask him. He'll know and will be able to help you out on the right spring.

His website is: barnofparts.com

Thanks 4strokeluvr111. I sent him a message. I called all my local dealers but they were unfamiliar with the differences. There has to be somebody out there who has upgraded their spring? Are there physical differences or is it just the tempering in the metal?

Didn't get a pm from you. The wire diameters are different between rates. If you get me the wire diameter and color of spring I can figure out what you have.

"Didn't get a pm from you. The wire diameters are different between rates. If you get me the wire diameter and color of spring I can figure out what you have"

Thanks for the reply hibshman. The colors are the same...silver, but I did discover the wire diameter was very slightly different, approx. .010" thicker in the new spring.

If difference was only .010 you likely have a 4.5 and a 5.0. You certainly don't have an 8.0kg. Get me the wire diameters of each and I will tell you for sure what you have.

If difference was only .010 you likely have a 4.5 and a 5.0. You certainly don't have an 8.0kg. Get me the wire diameters of each and I will tell you for sure what you have.
I'll get a precise measurement when I get home tonight. Thanks!

I put the calipers on them last night and got .460 on the stock spring and .475 on the new one.

I put the calipers on them last night and got .460 on the stock spring and .475 on the new one.

In my notes I have .455 for the 4.5 spring and .468 for the 5.0 spring. The next size up would be the 6.5 spring and those came in black.

In my notes I have .455 for the 4.5 spring and .468 for the 5.0 spring. The next size up would be the 6.5 spring and those came in black.
Thanks hibshman! I'm probably a few thousandths off with my old calipers, but I'm thinking it must be a 5.0. I'm 200 with gear so I think I will install it and move the ring clip in a couple notches and see if that helps with bottoming. Got it for $40 on ebay so I guess I can't complain. Just got a half foot of fresh snow so I hope to test it this weekend:)

Back