• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More wheels part-1, to extend silder wear, XTX -*update*-

mach9 said:
Went for a nice ride a couple days ago.
Not much to report.
There was a huge snow fall so the hard trails and bare roads were not an problem.
(new problem with lots of soft snow... Ice build up!!)

I did not notice any wear with the new wheels inside.
If you try small wheels of any sort they spin too fast and fail.

I don't see the need for low snow wheel kit up front.
The excessive slider wear has always been at the back portion of the rails.
Even on my 08 the wear was at the back.

Great I'll wait for your next update.....what was the cost of this mod??

Yamaha wheels with bearing is the costly part.
Something like $60 each.
(I wanted to have the same overall diam. wheel as the others)

The other items are not too expensive.
For all the parts I was out of pocket approx. $175 CAN. (with Ontario taxes)

Bolt could have been 2 mm longer but it works fine with loctite.
It is the extra frame rail support that is slightly thicker than I expected.

Daranello said:
Could you not just add 2 more inside wheels to the bar that has the wheels with the tip up (at the 121")

Like adding a 4th wheel kit but with 2 more wheels and new spacers

Seems like the wear is equal on both side of the tip up, maybe the track is flexing too much in that area cause slidder burn??

Interesting idea...
That may help to keep the track flatter as it moves around the tip up.
I'll really need to take my time to look into that idea.
I'd like to wear out the sliders I have then put on some new ones and see just how well the mod I did is working.

Most plastic wheels are made by PPD, even the stock wheels. Look real close at the molded plastic for the PPD logo. You can get aftermarket PPD wheels with the same dimensions for about $20 with bearings.

XTX

Beginning to see consistant slider wear from front approach all the way back to the tip up area.
The inner wheels must be working.

I do have a 4th wheel kit to install.
Which I think will help this long track have less movment at the back.
(not that there was a problem)

I just like having more wheels...

Well I will give my 2cents, I am new to Yamaha this year and feared the hyfax issues, but since installing the SlyDog wheels that are slightly larger and letting my hyfax wear down to 20% I have had 0 wear beyond that point in 900+ miles, my wear is the most between the front wheel and the tip up. The hyfax wear mark is about two quarters stacked together for a referance, and has not moved at all, I do have a extra set of hyfax that I will bring with on trips up north but I am going to leave them alone untill they really need changing. I think they will stay this way for a while. JM2CTS

:yam:

Give it a try...
I was looking for a fast turnaround and wasn't looking to save money.
The stock wheels I used are solid. (no wheel openings)

mach9 said:
Give it a try...
I was looking for a fast turnaround and wasn't looking to save money.
The stock wheels I used are solid. (no wheel openings)

I might but I was just wondering if I was missing something. There is an over $50 difference between these wheels which seems very odd to me.

In the morning I'm going to go order these parts and return this useless "Margional Snow Wheel Kit"

If you are talking about the mod I did...?
I didn't touch any cross supports or remove any rods.
The only thing I pulled out was the short bolts that hold on the frame rail supports.
Get a longer bolt for the new brakcet if you are at all concerned.

Done this also mach9 on my SE. I know yours is a XTX but basically the same idea. I went with the small billet wheels from Yammy. No problems or issues and it took all of 15 minutes to install the 2 wheels.

Also, thanks to arteeex who led me in this direction. ;)!

I got the hardware and wheels for 190 tax in.

IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

So mach9, let me get this straight. You didn't drill any sort of holes in your rails you just simply removed a short bolt that is in there from factory and put the long bolt on there that holds on your bracket and wheel. Like you said, basically 15 mins worth of work. If this is correct it sounds like a fairly good idea. My sliders seem to be wearing very well right now but we've had fairly excellent snow conditions so far. My sled is in the heated shop across town right now otherwise I would go look for myself but since it's not here I figured I'd ask the question. Thx in advance.

Blue 4's Rule said:
So mach9, let me get this straight. You didn't drill any sort of holes in your rails you just simply removed a short bolt that is in there from factory and put the long bolt on there that holds on your bracket and wheel. Like you said, basically 15 mins worth of work. If this is correct it sounds like a fairly good idea. My sliders seem to be wearing very well right now but we've had fairly excellent snow conditions so far. My sled is in the heated shop across town right now otherwise I would go look for myself but since it's not here I figured I'd ask the question. Thx in advance.

Blue...
I did not drill.
That is all there is to it.
Very simple stuff.
But it only works on the XTX rails.
I checked the hole locations on the 121" frame and they don't seem to be at the correct level.

Back