• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More wheels part-1, to extend silder wear, XTX -*update*-

Now that's weird, my sled came from factory with a cross support rod there,

FxNytroXTX_suspension_7_ef751c7c.jpg

mach9 said:
If you are talking about the mod I did...?
I didn't touch any cross supports or remove any rods.
The only thing I pulled out was the short bolts that hold on the frame rail supports.
Get a longer bolt for the new brakcet if you are at all concerned.

has anyone tried just putting a set of ice-scratchers on? weather mounted to the skis or mounted on the rails, instead of adding extra wheels? Also currently hyfax's are on back order.

Daranello said:

My chassis has the cross shafts at the back too.
But this mod is for wheels on the inside of the rails behind the rear shock lower mounting point.
Have another look at the photo I show at the start of this topic.

I have been looking at shafts etc. near the coupling rods.
But it seems like too much work and clearance will be an issue.
More likely another set of wheels will fit on the outside of the rails near the back.
But that would require a bracket set up for a bolt which needs some more engnieering.
The rail is not tall enough to drill in that area.
Plus when the skid bottoms out..!!!
There is not much room for error on wheel placement.

mach9 said:
Daranello said:

My chassis has the cross shafts at the back too.
But this mod is for wheels on the inside of the rails behind the rear shock lower mounting point.
Have another look at the photo I show at the start of this topic.

I have been looking at shafts etc. near the coupling rods.
But it seems like too much work and clearance will be an issue.
More likely another set of wheels will fit on the outside of the rails near the back.
But that would require a bracket set up for a bolt which needs some more engnieering.
The rail is not tall enough to drill in that area.
Plus when the skid bottoms out..!!!
There is not much room for error on wheel placement.

I see it now, but I'm not getting wear in that area...its all at the back.....love to put wheels on the cross shaft I circled in red!

Daranello said:
I see it now, but I'm not getting wear in that area...its all at the back.....love to put wheels on the cross shaft I circled in red!

I get slider wear at the back too.
But I think less now that I have done this mod.

i am getting slider wear at the bump stop & at the front inner wheels. The rest of my sliders look new after 600 miles.

Turk said:
i am getting slider wear at the bump stop & at the front inner wheels. The rest of my sliders look new after 600 miles.

So weird, my bump stop and front inner wheels are perfect, all my wear is at the 121" mark (the tip up)

I am getting wear between the 2 outer idler wheels (also by the bump stop). Maybe a little more towards the rear of the bump stop. However, my XTX skid is in a Mtn Viper.

I have no idea where to start tuning this setup. I am trying to follow all of these XTX threads for info though. Still waiting on the service manual to arrive via USPS. I think I got the 2 month shipping option.

I added over sized Doo wheels were they were easy to change, then added the mid wheels like mentioned previously in this post (again with oversized wheels) and then I added an extra set 1" behind the rear bump stop and one extra set up in the front of the rails as well.

FXNytroXTX003.jpg

FXNytroXTX002.jpg

FXNytroXTX001.jpg

I like what Mach9 did but, with my XTX I wanted the wheels back further. So for 60 bucks I bought a marginal snow wheel kit that is supposed to go on the outside of the rails. Then I machined 2 mm off the spacers and they fit perfect on the inside of the rails. I did test and have 2 big guys compress the suspension all the way and nothing is even close to hitting. The only down side is you have to drill a hole in your rails. I think this will solve my problem with hyfax wear.

Attachments

• snowmobiling 155.jpg
    snowmobiling 155.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 186
Since this did make it into the FAQ.
It's been a full season use on this stock parts mod.
Thought I'd give an update and my opinion.

It did seem to help with less wear showing on sliders around the middle.
Also, I can only assume it helped with less rolling resistance.
Which gives better consistent wear along the slider length back from that area.
I think that more snow is allowed to filter in from the center area going back as you travel.
Not perfect wear at the rear of the skid, but most likely better.
Consider all skids have wear patterns on sliders for any sled brand.

The front curve of the skid is the problem area now.
Too much slider wear at the front before any wheels have a chance to do work.
So much so that I still used 3 sets of sliders by the end of 3000km season.
(One set my fault for running a bunch of ice runs one day and I didn't use ice scratches.)
So in theory, only 2 sets of sliders should have been required for me under average conditions.

Changes for this year 2010 season should fix the above issue.
This year I've added the Yamaha marginal snow wheel kit up front on the curve where the wear is bad and added ice scratches to my skis.

Final thought...
This is a good stock parts mod. It works and nothing failed after 3000km.
Adding more wheels is a good thing unless you are trying to shave off weight.

Part 2, season 2010 couldn't leave well enough alone, where is the snow?!!
The following mods were done to my XTX skid...
Hygear rear spring spacers, Shocks re-valved by Shock-tec, 135mm Doo wheels, Extra set of inner wheels at center(this mod but with Doo wheels), marginal snow wheel kit up front, Dual rate Springs for center shock, beefed up rear rail area + extra shafts (my design, since some are bending, not sure how, but they are), 2 sets of Ulmers track rub kits (one for top rear shock mount and the other for front lower shock mount), 4th wheel kit, and (the main reason for pulling the skid in the first place) modded the top front shaft arm with extra traps to keep the limiter straps from bending up and catching the track. Topic with pics found
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=67248
and
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=665160

there is a dealer in gaspe who has a friend who is producing slides from a way better plastic that lasts 10 times as long phone 418 797 2103

i also put ice scratchers on went across a five mile lake no snow and i mean no snow no wear at all i couldnt believe it best fix yet in my opion

maniac said:
there is a dealer in gaspe who has a friend who is producing slides from a way better plastic that lasts 10 times as long phone 418 797 2103

Maniac, are you riding an XTX?
Are these sliders the long ones like we need?

Back