• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love couch's as well and miss my 1000 triple Pantera two up, 172 hp and man did it fly! As far as a corner to corner stable high speed machine goes having both machines in one sled always seems like you have to trade one for the other. Now if they can make an Apex corner better without loosing its high speed stability I'm all for it. I rode the revs and hated them, twitchy piece of crap! Even my 600 ZL Cat which handled really well in the corners lost some of its stability at 90mph. My 1000 Pantera loved speed and would hit way over 100 on the GPS and you could ride with one hand while hitting ruts and drifts at that speed. My XTX pulled off the groomed trail on the lake into the rough and back on at near 100mph and other then a up and down movement never twitched once over the hard drifts it was hitting at an angle. The sled is heavy they say, yep and its stable. What you need to do is follow Stiener on his Apex. That will open your eyes real fast as to how well an Apex can do it all. Maybe part rider but the machine well setup is the key to it all.

Yes I know the chassis was not designed with the Yami motor in mind because the motor does not have the room to fit as low in the chassis as the Cat twin. I also read that Yamaha had to raise the motor crank line higher because of that reason. I also point out that the jackshaft is in the way of the exhaust and as it sits in the chassis the exhaust would be better to be split and run both over and under the jackshaft. Now if the motor was allowed to sit a bit lower this interference would be minimal. They talked about the Viper higher center of gravity compared to the twin cylinder Cat in same chassis. Arctic Chat forums had discussions about it. There where also pictures and writeups in the mags and on the net and in this forum about how high the engine sat in the chassis showing how much air was under it. I looked at the Viper in the showroom and you could see how high it was set up to clear the chassis of the Cat. Just imagine how much better it would handle if they could lower the motor and therefore the center of gravity.
Good info to have. Will have to look for it, and read up!

Rear exhaust - no thanks:dead:

Attachments

• DSC01040.jpg
    DSC01040.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC01045.jpg
    DSC01045.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC01046.jpg
    DSC01046.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 228
yamy07 that's a Phazer in those pictures I believe it was recalled to address that issue with a tunnel block off plate but perhaps I'm mistaken. My 2011 apex doesn't get much build up at all the rear heat exchanger melts almost all of it. I do get some but nothing like the above pictures

No recall that I remember - however, I fabricated a block off plate before Yamaha came out with one. My Nytro was worse - made a block off plate for it also.
Real exhaust is just a bad idea in my mind. Got a skidoo 900 - no problem with icing there. It's is the sled the Yamaha should have made, Yamaha started the 4 stroke movement in sleds & Skidoo perfected it.

Rear exhaust - no thanks:dead:

The ONLY Icing issue I have with my phazer is sometimes water runs down the the tunnel and freezes my left leg to the tunnel, nothing major. I have a "catch basin" I built out of a 7x10 pond liner that I park my sled on in the garage and it never has more than a gallon of water in it after a long days ride. the Phazer has such long primaries that a side exhaust would probably kill quite a bit of HP, same goes for the Apex. Most of that comes from the snow that build up on my running boards while boondocking (REALLY need to to get a set of Mountaintech boards). Could be like my Buddies 14' 800 Assault and have a constant stream of water soaking his left boot and pant leg while riding that we haven't been able to track down the source of.

There is very little HP difference between the viper and Nytro despite exhaust with the same motor...

No recall that I remember - however, I fabricated a block off plate before Yamaha came out with one. My Nytro was worse - made a block off plate for it also.
Real exhaust is just a bad idea in my mind. Got a skidoo 900 - no problem with icing there. It's is the sled the Yamaha should have made, Yamaha started the 4 stroke movement in sleds & Skidoo perfected it.

What Ski-Doo needs to do is build a 1200SS!

I don't think from that camp an SS would be enough,They'll need to build an SSSSS to even be close to Yamaha...
:yam:

Well with the 1200 being 135 hp I find like the Yami 3 holer it lacks on the top end but corner to corner its fine. A triple pipe header and triple throttle bodies some caming would easy bump up to 150 155hp. Much more comparable to the Yami but of course Yamaha Rules!

Well with the 1200 being 135 hp I find like the Yami 3 holer it lacks on the top end but corner to corner its fine.

Not to have this thread tangent off into a Doo thing but is the 1200 Doo really making 135hp? That sled just feels sluggish to me compared to any Vector. Better clutching would probably make a world of difference but box stock, it just feels slow.

Just saw my Yamaha rep up here in NB Canada today and all info on the 2017 Line up will be released to dealers around Jan 20 16! All he would say is expect the unexpected .... Only 22 more sleeps!

Just saw my Yamaha rep up here in NB Canada today and all info on the 2017 Line up will be released to dealers around Jan 20 16! All he would say is expect the unexpected .... Only 22 more sleeps!
Hmmm....."expect the unexpected" The one thing that comes to mind that i wouldn't expect from Yamaha is a new two-stroke....

A big, direct injected triple triple two stroke with 170+ hp in a new lightweight but bulletproof platform? We can dream, can't we? I love my apex, especially the motor, but a 4 cylinder four stroke fires fewer times per revolution than a 3 cylinder two stroke, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back