• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
how come the LTX DX is a $100 more than the LTX SE?? SE comes with FOX zero's and DX comes with coil overs.....weird

Anyone know what rpm the engine turns? The sms turns 10500 right? Does it gear down the clutch?

Skickat från min SM-G388F via Tapatalk

I have an 09 Nytro XTX with the Hindle Hurricane set up. I'll pull 3 lengths out of the hole on my friends 15 Cat Turbo and on our last pull we both saw a top end of 110. If this new sled has 50% more torque and is any lighter, Im in!

The engine or clutch? If it's the engine, won't be too good without boost?

408 lbs dry, hmm never driven a sled without gas and oil in it. Most times when mfg's give a weight figure its for marketing purposes, they are usually heavier than what was claimed in real life. As for mountain versions of this sled. No doubt the 2 strokes are lighter which gives them an advantage for playing in the deep stuff. Lets not forget though a certain type of mountain rider likes to reach high peaks. A 2 stroke loses power at a greater rate than a 4 stroke as altitude goes up. Which machine is going to reach higher peaks in the mountains, a n/a 2s or a turbo 4s? You say...how can you be serious you don't know the weight?....so you said he was making an assumption. You just said this new Sidewinder will not be as reliable as an Apex. At this point isn't that also an assumption?

Dry weight has been used for at least the past 30+ years all across the board with Powersports. I've got magazines and owners manuals from the 80's with dry weight listed. It is far and away the best way to determine if a machine is heavy or light as a big gas tank doesn't penalize a machine like you see with curb/wet weight. When OEM's try to fudge the wet weight number they put on little gas tanks like they did with the Nytro.

I agree with you that the sidewinder will have the power to weight advantage over any NA 800. That's nothing new, same can be said for the 1100T and it didn't change the world. It is a point and shoot sled just like all the other turbo 4 strokes you see in the videos.

Regarding reliability I'm very comfortable making that assumption. The turbo Vipers have had recently issues with rods this season. Just look at how many more parts and pieces are involved making a turbo work. Every ride I've been on with someone with a turbo they end up fiddling with this or that. A factory system should be a step better but it's not going to be rock solid reliable like a Vector or an Apex. How could it be? Far more sensors to give issues, fuel quality, will belts last as long, is the turbo itself trouble free for 10's of thousands of miles? What's the next weak link in the drivetrain that shows up? Turbo'd don't hold their resale value for squat in my area. It always amazes me how guys sink thousands upon thousands of dollars into a turbo sled just to end up selling it for 40 cents on the dollar. They lose their butts. How many of you looking to buy a used car don't have second thoughts about one that came stock with a turbo?

Back to weight, I don't see how anyone could expect this Sidewinder to somehow be magically lighter than any of the other 4-strokes in their lineup? It's got more parts and pieces than a viper in the same chassis. The motor is out of the side by side, not an MX bike. If the Sidewinder was lighter and revolutionary they'd post the weight. Just like they did with the Nytro when it was released. You know the 520lb dry weight they showed on the scale for the RT-X while it hung next to some Arctic Cat 2S? And that same year Ski-Doo released the XP and the carbed 600 weighed 399lbs. I went to the Doo dealer that fall and picked the front of the XP right off the ground. I couldn't believe how light it was! In the mean time I had my brand new Nytro and could barely pick the front end up off the floor to get it on the dolly.

Here we are, 15 years into Yamaha's 4-stroke sled revolution and every new sled they've released since the Nytro is heavier than the one before.

Dry weight has been used for at least the past 30+ years all across the board with Powersports. I've got magazines and owners manuals from the 80's with dry weight listed. It is far and away the best way to determine if a machine is heavy or light as a big gas tank doesn't penalize a machine like you see with curb/wet weight. When OEM's try to fudge the wet weight number they put on little gas tanks like they did with the Nytro.

I agree with you that the sidewinder will have the power to weight advantage over any NA 800. That's nothing new, same can be said for the 1100T and it didn't change the world. It is a point and shoot sled just like all the other turbo 4 strokes you see in the videos.

Regarding reliability I'm very comfortable making that assumption. The turbo Vipers have had recently issues with rods this season. Just look at how many more parts and pieces are involved making a turbo work. Every ride I've been on with someone with a turbo they end up fiddling with this or that. A factory system should be a step better but it's not going to be rock solid reliable like a Vector or an Apex. How could it be? Far more sensors to give issues, fuel quality, will belts last as long, is the turbo itself trouble free for 10's of thousands of miles? What's the next weak link in the drivetrain that shows up? Turbo'd don't hold their resale value for squat in my area. It always amazes me how guys sink thousands upon thousands of dollars into a turbo sled just to end up selling it for 40 cents on the dollar. They lose their butts. How many of you looking to buy a used car don't have second thoughts about one that came stock with a turbo?

Back to weight, I don't see how anyone could expect this Sidewinder to somehow be magically lighter than any of the other 4-strokes in their lineup? It's got more parts and pieces than a viper in the same chassis. The motor is out of the side by side, not an MX bike. If the Sidewinder was lighter and revolutionary they'd post the weight. Just like they did with the Nytro when it was released. You know the 520lb dry weight they showed on the scale for the RT-X while it hung next to some Arctic Cat 2S? And that same year Ski-Doo released the XP and the carbed 600 weighed 399lbs. I went to the Doo dealer that fall and picked the front of the XP right off the ground. I couldn't believe how light it was! In the mean time I had my brand new Nytro and could barely pick the front end up off the floor to get it on the dolly.

Here we are, 15 years into Yamaha's 4-stroke sled revolution and every new sled they've released since the Nytro is heavier than the one before.
Do you have a purpose here Fx10? So far all you've done is complain about everything 4 stroke and everything Yamaha and try argue your point with everyone who likes it. We get it, you don't like it.

I'm guessing it will ride feel heavy with all that power and Yamaha setup to keep the front down it's been that way ever since pro action but, I feel it's more setup than real weight problem.

I like fx 10s point about the reliability piece of a turbo. I've seen a lot of sleds up north apart. That's the last thing I want to do on a trip. However I hope Yamaha proves us they are the best in reliability. Which they have for many years. Aside from some potential viper issues they have been rock solid. Hopefully they can show us they are more than capable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I like fx 10s point about the reliability piece of a turbo. I've seen a lot of sleds up north apart. That's the last thing I want to do on a trip. However I hope Yamaha proves us they are the best in reliability. Which they have for many years. Aside from some potential viper issues they have been rock solid. Hopefully they can show us they are more than capable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Even the cat turbo sled is pretty well bullet proof in terms of the engine/turbo. Yamaha has far more experience with boost than AC. Aftermarket kits installed by a DIY guy or even a dealer is a far cry from something engineered for boost. From oil squirters to forged internals to electronic safe guards yamaha has designed a very comprehensive engine package.

It would be fast as....heck....in an apex chassis :).

:sled1:All I know is that the only oil I get on my clothes is when I do my pre season change. And when I squeeze, she goes like Hell. Knock on wood, 4 stroke has been my best decision. 6000 + miles and counting.
I'm looking forward to trying out the new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back