• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did each sled handle the really bumpy trails. Which one did ur back and knees like better?

They both did very well, but to be fair they are both running Float Evol X RC2's. The RR was better, but the Viper did fine. More than fine, it was a pleasure. Better than my Renegade, so far ahead of my old 121 I don't even want to remember those horrible days lol... Back and knees were good on both, I actually preferred the hard tall seat on the RR but it was too stiff overall and a lot more work to ride. Fun for a short give er hell ride. My hats off to the guys that high mile the XRS and other Snocross based stuff, I wonder if they know how much easier life could be on the long trails with softer suspension valving.

If you don't have to have the best/newest, that sound you're hearing is the bottom falling out of used Nytro/Viper/Apex prices. Like it already hadn't....

So where are the "Performance Dampners" that they were claiming every chassis needed? The SRV chassis of Arctic Cat doesn't need them.....?

I know right ? I can't beilieve any body can find any negative about the Sidewinder, the general public hasn't riden one yet. The viper handles amazingly, the ergonomics are great, so on and so on and the Sidewinder is in a simaler chassis plus has a 190+hp turbo motor with teqnology I didn't even know existed and is supposed to be incredible. How could there be anything negative about it.

I think the Sidewinder is a really nice sled. This is genuin Yamaha engine, built for alot of power. No easy solutions. Everything built perfect. When Yama says 180hp, other dynos will show more, maybe 190. This is the most powerfull engine ever build for a sled.
I am afraid they dump the Apex in a year or two. Cant se why they will keep the apex, thats bad.
I think I keep my well powered 2011 apex, but I think I will buy a Sidewinder also. I think that sled is as perfect its possible to build a sled.
If someone have any complains againts the Sidewinder, i dont think they know what they are talking about.
Yama has build a turboengine noone can match. This is way better than any 2-stroke ever built. The chassis works very well. Why do someone want a small 800 engine, when you can have this ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree! Look at the article I posted earlier page or so back. These guys rode the new Sidewinder and were blown away! Until we ride it we can't complain.. It's an awesome piece of technology without question ! :yam:
The magazines are really loving this sled....haven't read a negative review yet...even snow goer liked it.....I gotta say...it's really cool reading all these great reviews...the mags are giving yamaha alot of love....it's gotta chap ski doo lovers asses that they had " the most wicked sled ever built"....for one week.....lmao

Im a trail rider, and dont ride mountains..so i have to ask..after reading what they are saying about this engine (180 to 190 hp..all day, any elevation)....why would anybody want an 800 (or 850)...two stroke that would have less than 120 hp at elevation??

I understand the "light weight" aspects of a two stroke in powder...but if they lose that much horse power at elevation...wouldn't that take away the fun of having that light sled...?? I mean an 800 with less hp than a slow 600 at sea level wouldn't impress me.

Just got home from the Sneak Peak show in Hamburg, NY. Several things became a lot clearer to me. You do not get the feel and sense of the true Yamaha quality when you are sitting on the Viper or Sidewinder. Every thing seems second or third rate compared to 10 year old Apex cockpit. Nothing in view is impressive.

The Apex is on its last leg and will not be updated. Sales are just too low.

You certainly can tell the Sidewinder engine is a true, developed in Japan total Yamaha piece of equipment.

Im a trail rider, and dont ride mountains..so i have to ask..after reading what they are saying about this engine (180 to 190 hp..all day, any elevation)....why would anybody want an 800 (or 850)...two stroke that would have less than 120 hp at elevation??

I understand the "light weight" aspects of a two stroke in powder...but if they lose that much horse power at elevation...wouldn't that take away the fun of having that light sled...?? I mean an 800 with less hp than a slow 600 at sea level wouldn't impress me.

The weight and balance of a mountain sled is absolutely key. The HP put out by today's 2 stroke 800's is already more than most riders are capable of using fully. Only in big climbs and wide open areas will the extra horsepower be a big benefit. Even then, it's probably going to put you in places you shouldn't be. I rode a Nytro MTX for a couple of years and my RMK is light years easier for me to ride. I get stuck way less, use less energy getting unstuck and am able to ride much more which equals way more fun on the limited amount of time I get to spend in the mountains.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just give some perspective of what some people want out of a mountain sled. I'd like to have a sidewinder to ride at home in the flat lands if it was in the budget.

Just got home from the Sneak Peak show in Hamburg, NY. Several things became a lot clearer to me. You do not get the feel and sense of the true Yamaha quality when you are sitting on the Viper or Sidewinder. Every thing seems second or third rate compared to 10 year old Apex cockpit. Nothing in view is impressive.

The Apex is on its last leg and will not be updated. Sales are just too low.

You certainly can tell the Sidewinder engine is a true, developed in Japan total Yamaha piece of equipment.
Thanks for the info. Your observation about the cockpit is exactly what I feared. It's a very nice machine, with an engine that sounds like it was very well done. But they couldn't put Apex gauges and controls on it?? Come on!!

With this thread now over a year old, nearing 200 pages and 2862 posts (pretty sure I read them all) just wanted to thank all you gentleman for the entertainment! It's been a blast!

Haven't been able to ride much the last couple of years but recently enjoyed a 600+ mile week. After watching my little bro toss around his new axys 800 Sks, been contemplating if my Nytro XTX is still the ride for me. After spending probably a 1000 hours on this amazing site (community), reading, learning and doing, it's a blast to ride and way better than Yamaha made it. Some days I still hate how heavy it feels and steers. But man, I love that engine! It's the reason I'm still riding a 4s and a huge pro to balance out the cons.

Where am I going with this???

I suspect history and time will confirm Yamaha might have just dropped the greatest factory engine in the history of snowmobiling. As they have gained my trust and awe with my 1049, I expect this new engine to be a masterpiece. I'm starting to accept that a "pure" all Yamaha sled will not be coming and this is the new reality, and you know what? I might be fine with that (after all - lets be honest - the Viper addresses most of the things I hate about my Nytro quite well). I suspect the SW will be even more of an improvement. So..if the chassis remains competitive and the engine is outstanding what more do we really want? In that aspect they might have delivered most of what the faithful had really been asking for(they just don't know it yet).

At $20k Cdn not in the cards for me next year - so I won't be able to tell you first hand - but I for one can't wait to pull the throttle on one of these down the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back