• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Single Shot Hyfax Wear?

whitedust1

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX
I discussed with Yamaha factory rep my concerns that 2016 Apex XTXLE 146 would wear Hyfax with 1.75 track on Northern WI trails. The Yamaha rep told me the new single shot rear skid uses all new approach angles so slide wear is not going to be a issue on trails & was tested on northern WI trails. Yamaha is marketing the 1.75 track as a multipurpose track & use on groomed trails is not a problem to Dupont hyfax wear. The 1.75 will track straight, hook up well & float better than ripsaw in powder. The trend is towards longer tracks with deeper lugs. I said agree with all this accept 1.75 wear on duponts on groomed trails can't be as good as ripsaw & he insisted field test on trails did not indicate excessive hyfax wear with new Single Shot. I don't know?... could the Single shot be this good???

I have my doubts. I'm curious to see how a lighter, simplified suspension will provide better handling and comfort. I'm sure there will be some issues with this new suspension...but we won't know until next season is under way. No amount of testing by Yamaha engineers/test riders can equal the true test a Yamaha owner/rider will go through after a season or two of riding.

I don't know there's a pile of nytros running around on the trails including mine with no problems running a 1.75" backcountry track. Matter of fact I did a 50 mile run the other day beside a renegade with a 1.25" track and there was no differenace. Even with low snow conditions neither of us experienced allot for problems. I saw a bit of wear on mine right at the tip up on the rails but nothing extreme. Especially considering what we had to ride in.

I discussed with Yamaha factory rep my concerns that 2016 Apex XTXLE 146 would wear Hyfax with 1.75 track on Northern WI trails. The Yamaha rep told me the new single shot rear skid uses all new approach angles so slide wear is not going to be a issue on trails & was tested on northern WI trails. Yamaha is marketing the 1.75 track as a multipurpose track & use on groomed trails is not a problem to Dupont hyfax wear. The 1.75 will track straight, hook up well & float better than ripsaw in powder. The trend is towards longer tracks with deeper lugs. I said agree with all this accept 1.75 wear on duponts on groomed trails can't be as good as ripsaw & he insisted field test on trails did not indicate excessive hyfax wear with new Single Shot. I don't know?... could the Single shot be this good???

As the Duponts end at 121 you would have to buy the mountain duponts which are double the price. I believe the 1.75 tracks straight on a 146 track. Cornering is more of my concern.

As the Duponts end at 121 you would have to buy the mountain duponts which are double the price. I believe the 1.75 tracks straight on a 146 track. Cornering is more of my concern.
So I only have duponts on 121 inches of my 144 Apex XTX Dupont slides?

Yep duponts end just before the rear idler. Wish they ended about 3 inches further back.

That's weird the 141" duponts on my Viper go the whole way back and they only come in 1 length and you cut them down for 137" and 129" sleds

That's weird the 141" duponts on my Viper go the whole way back and they only come in 1 length and you cut them down for 137" and 129" sleds

The vespel inserts in the slider only go to the back idler (about 121 length), the slider itself goes all the way to the back of a 144 without cutting. Sorry for the confusion, the problem with this is on the 144 the most wear is just before and under the back idler wheel. When the vespel inserts wear out it is a few inches before the back idler and the slide does not last after that. If the inserts went back a few more inches the duponts would last at least another 1,000 miles minimum.

A non tipped rail 146 is going to have at least a foot of slider with no inserts. Looking at the 144 on my XTX now, I have over 17mm thickness all the way back to just before the rear idler and then it thins quickly to 15mm. At 14 to 15mm the inserts come out. Because there are no inserts to the back idler the last couple inserts take all the weight in that area accelerating wear and shortening the life of the duponts. I have dupont slides that I have taken off that that have lots of slider/inserts left but the last 6 inches of the slider is worn real thin because the last two vespel inserts are gone. Its a domino effect as you wear out an insert the next one then quickly wears and so on and so on.

A foot plus with no inserts is going to be a problem on the 146 XTX, considering a couple inches is a problem with the 144 XTX

The vespel inserts in the slider only go to the back idler (about 121 length), the slider itself goes all the way to the back of a 144 without cutting. Sorry for the confusion, the problem with this is on the 144 the most wear is just before and under the back idler wheel. When the vespel inserts wear out it is a few inches before the back idler and the slide does not last after that. If the inserts went back a few more inches the duponts would last at least another 1,000 miles minimum.

A non tipped rail 146 is going to have at least a foot of slider with no inserts. Looking at the 144 on my XTX now, I have over 17mm thickness all the way back to just before the rear idler and then it thins quickly to 15mm. At 14 to 15mm the inserts come out. Because there are no inserts to the back idler the last couple inserts take all the weight in that area accelerating wear and shortening the life of the duponts. I have dupont slides that I have taken off that that have lots of slider/inserts left but the last 6 inches of the slider is worn real thin because the last two vespel inserts are gone. Its a domino effect as you wear out an insert the next one then quickly wears and so on and so on.

A foot plus with no inserts is going to be a problem on the 146 XTX, considering a couple inches is a problem with the 144 XTX
Com' on Sasquatch don't be a Debbie Downer! I'm ""SURE"" the hyfax wear was taken into account when the 146 straight rail skid was engineered! :rofl:

Back