• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Bearings?

yamaha06

VIP Member
Well I brought the sled home from storage and am getting ready to do some preventative maintenance. I have never changed any of the bearings on it and the sled has 7400km (4600miles) I also haven't really done anything with the clutches. I have been greasing the jackshaft and trackshaft bearings every year. They don't seem to bad but I am not sure if it would be good idea to change some of the bearings? Which ones should be changed? Also with the clutch the sled had a heel clicker clutch kit installed at 800 km but I have basically just removed the primary and secondary and been giving them a good cleaning a couple times through out the season, maybe it would be a good idea to take them into the dealer so they can take them apart and replace anything that might be worn on them? This will probably be the last year riding the nytro as I am looking at getting a viper for next season..
Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys!!

Get a full bearing kit from all ballz, do one do them all. The reverse bearing in the chain case cover needs a puller. Inspect the clutch yourself. Just make sure the rollers roll smoothly and inspect the weights for damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it with my old xtx with the similar mileage. The All Ballz kit found on ebay was great. Not a bad job, may be a day of labor but in hind sight, I wouldn't do it that soon especially with the maintenance you've done so far. Only suspect bearing was the track drive/speedo bearing and that one is easily changed for peace of mind.

There a quite a few threads about people blowing the factory bearings with low mileage. I changed mine at 5,000kms.

This is just my opinion, but a bearing that always has grease, should last a very very long time. My snowmobile bearing are not exposed to dirt, like say my atv bearings. Personally at the mileage you said your nytro had I wouldn't worry about driveline bearings.
There is also threads on people greasing their bearings yearly and lasting many many miles.

I changed everything, chain case, jackshaft , driveshaft. I was changing a track at the time so it was all apart.

This is just my opinion, but a bearing that always has grease, should last a very very long time. My snowmobile bearing are not exposed to dirt, like say my atv bearings. Personally at the mileage you said your nytro had I wouldn't worry about driveline bearings.
There is also threads on people greasing their bearings yearly and lasting many many miles.

Ya your probably right. I just thought there might of been some that are recommended to be changed like the jackshaft since I'm sure it takes a beating. I don't really want to get into changing all the ones in the chaincase. They should be alright I change my chaincase fluid every year and am running amsoil in it.

Ya your probably right. I just thought there might of been some that are recommended to be changed like the jackshaft since I'm sure it takes a beating. I don't really want to get into changing all the ones in the chaincase. They should be alright I change my chaincase fluid every year and am running amsoil in it.

16000km on my 2009 XTX and I checked ALL bearings when I changed my track this summer. The chaincase side bearings were all A1, the speedo was the worst and needed to be changed, the jackshaft was in good condition but needed grease. All idler wheel bearings (including relatively new NTN X wheels) needed grease and a few of them needed to be replaced.

I assessed my bearings based on visual inspection after taking the seal off (buy a dental pick kit from princess and seal removal is simple: pull it off, push it on), feel when rotating the bearing (should be smooth with no play) and whether or not there is any movement on the shaft or between the outer race.

I did find issues with the drive shaft (and needed a new one), I also found issues with the upper idler wheel shaft (and needed a new one). The issue I found in each case was that the shaft under the bearing was worn. All bearings were replaced with Yamaha OEM or with NTN from royal.

I also found the infamous broken chaincase bolt with no damage. I bought a new one and put it back in. I'll keep an eye on it for a while and if it breaks again, I'll run without it.

Driveshaft bearing for sure! It's more then likely bad, spray a good penitent oil on the bearings set screws and around the shaft. It will make removing that much easier. Skid wheels bearings will need to be checked over. Check your heel clicker weights, weights wear were it rides the roller. I see you have a full hindle, give the collector a good look-see. I had mine crack there a few times and they have since upgrades that piece to a much heavier grade of material to cure the problem.

4600 miles and he's been greasing the bearings every season. If they are bad I'd sell the sled and take up knitting. Again just my $0.02.

That's a bit excessive

I have over 5000 miles on my 08 nytro and bearings are fine. I grease them yearly. Speaking from my experience and from what I have researched. If they are tight I don't see the point in wasting your money on bearings. That is the point of greasing them yearly.

I agree with a yearly inspection of your sled, bearings, y pipe, flex pipes, skid, all bushings, etc. but replacing them just because of mileage, even after checking them comes out fine is a waste of money.

Thank you.......

The main reason I say replace the drive shaft is from experience also, I had almost double the mileage you have on yours now. Its a wear item on a snowmobile that you ride in mostly snow with water and dirt mixed in there. The bearing is $30, maybe if he can't afford that he should take up knitting. Twice I replaced that bearing the outer race was cracked and in horrible shape. But it rolled ok and apparently still had grease in it......get what I'm trying to say now? Just because you grease something does not mean the bearing wont fail on you, that's why I replaced mine every year rather then greasing it. I understand many people grease there bearings with good luck but that's just not for me. And after one season the bearings I replaced were to far gone to do the re-grease trick anyway.

The OP can do what he wants, I'm just giving advise based on my findings with my nytro just like you are. Have a great rest of your day

Back