• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nytro code 30 + strange oil thickness

johnelway

Expert
yesterday sled was running good and today, start and run 10 seconds then code 30 appear...

checked my oil level and really strange. really thick and stange color.
It is only cold or mixed with prestone??

any idea? bad news?

Attachments

• IMG_20160304_150230.jpg
    IMG_20160304_150230.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 326

that looks like a head gasket issue. coolant is making into the oil. has it ran hot recently?

that looks like a head gasket issue. coolant is making into the oil. has it ran hot recently?
i heated it up in the garage and now it runs OK. no code.
it is possible that condensation cause this?
will do a fresh oil change tommorow and see if it redo it again.
my coolant level seems OK.

That's to much moisture. I've never seen that much in the oil tank unless there was a problem. If you continue to run it and the oil thins out to much you could do internal damage. If you do change the oil and run it keep checking the oil and coolant level. It may take a couple heat cycles to do it again.

But coolant is spot on the line in the bottle!
I forgot to say that yesterday, i rode in a lot of snow and wind. plus some stuck/roll.
After that, it sleep full of snow all around the engine for the night before i can heat it up.
Any chance it only got moisture or wate rin it?
Anyway, i have a little soft trail ride today. will change my oil and check everything after my runs.
coolant level and oil texture.

thanks for your help grizz!

Last edited:
Check all the oil tank hoses to make sure none of them are cracked or split. Your conditions are no different than what these sleds have been put trough many times without moisture in the oil issues so the fact that it detected low oil pressure and you're seeing discolored oil would concern me. Maybe I'm overly cautious but internal engine damage is costly.

I wouldn't run it if my engine oil looked like that. Like grizztracks said that looks like a lot of water in there... Interesting that coolant level is spot on. Hope things look better after an oil and filter change!

I know you're hoping to find a simple explanation but it looks like a big problem from the color of that oil. Like Grizz said, sleds do all that every day and the oil is clear. I wouldn't run that engine another second without an oil change and good look through to find the cause.

[emoji50]
That's ugly!
Should be able to do a cooling system pressure test, no?

Does the oil taste sweet? If so you have coolant in the oil. Next thing I would do is get an oil sample done, cheap compared to a wreck engine.

Could do a leak down and/or pressure test. If you got a bad gasket might be able to find out. Will either blow bubbles into the coolant system or pump coolant into your motor. Depending how bad it is

Ok guys, here the situation...

I did flush all the oil and filter replacement.
When removing the skidplate, an oil pan bolt fall to the floor!!
Checked all the other one and all was little loose!
Little bit of oil in the pan too.
Retorqued all of them and reinstalled the missing one.
Fill with fresh oil.
And goes for the ride!
Finally the soft rail ride has turned into a big powder day!!
after 3 hour of powder and full trhottle. checked the oil and coolant. everything normal. no leak and all level are the same
Will check after every ride but seems that moisutre was getting in from the oil pan slowly since the beginning of the winter,
Hope that this was the only problem.

Thanks everyone. i'll give you some update in the futute!

Last edited:
Hello guys, Little Surprise tonight
Was looking to install the lost bolt this afternoon and What a surprise i got!
Looking at the front section of the engine. Here what i see!

missing 4 bolts + the one that i got in the pan. So 5 bolt was missing all on the same side!

So i decided to tear off the front bulkhead to see it clearly!

Result : no riding before fixing this. i will install all the bolt with little bit of blue locktite.

Gasket seems to be ok since the oil was not really leaking.

will give you update when available!

Thanks again

p.s : GUYS, CHECK YOUR OIL PAN BOLT!!! :home:

Attachments

• 20160308_204533.jpg
    20160308_204533.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 192

Back