• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Output shaft seal

shawnmcgr

Pro
Anyone ever loose an output shaft seal? I've had an oil leak I have not been able to find till this weekend. I would not loose any oil on the trails but if I got my Apex Mtn stuck vertical or on it's side it would puke oil all over the clutches. I tipped it on it's side in the garage and it just pukes out of the gear reduction output shaft seal. The shaft the primary clutch is mounted on.

I've got 6350kms on the sled, 700kms with boost (500@ 2-5psi and 200 @ 8psi from MPI Charger).

Scratching my head on why this would go?

I have, hopefully that's it. The only time I ever tried an afermarket belt (Dayco) it blew at 400kms - threats were everywhere.

Thanks!

You are going to want to read up on this thread if you want to replace that seal.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=pto+seal

In their infinite wisdom, the brain trust over at Yamaha decided to not list the seal as an individual part on the apex sleds. You won't even find it in the parts fiche if you search it.

If you look at the parts fiche for a RX-1 under crankshaft piston you'll see the separate seal part number. If you look at a fiche for a Apex, they will direct you to purchase the entire output shaft assembly!

Apparantly they slightly changed the design of the output shaft from RX-1 to Apex.

Here are couple of photos showing the old vs. new. The top is the new design, the bottom is the old design. You can see the subtle changes. The thread link above talks about a generic, industry seal that seems to fit the bill well.

Apex.jpg

RX1jpg.jpg

Thanks Snowmobileaddict, great info. Ya, the dealer I went to could not find the part number for the seal on their lists. I might have to fix this myself, hopefully I can find this seal in town as I'm hoping to ride next weekend!

Maybe I'll pull the seal and have a look a the shaft. If it's all corroded then it will not seal anyways and I'll have to replace it.

The seal should be double lip. The outer lip seals out dust and debris and the sealing surface near the outer lip will likely look a bit crusty. The more critical sealing lip and its mating surface is the one that you cannot see until you remove the seal.

If you paste this:

Metric Oil Shaft Seal 40 x 52 x 08 40x52x8 Double Lip

into the search box on eBay you'll find a seal that matches the dimensions in the thread referenced above. Ebay is the only place I could find one online. Pretty cheap too.

Thanks Snowmobileaddict! That was a huge help!

My dealer is not open Monday so I'll see how they did tomorrow. If they were unable to find a seal I'll order that seal off of ebay.

I think I found the manufacturor of that seal:

http://harwal.com/product/6332

Wish I could buy ya a beer for your help....likely saved me a pile-o-cash and time!!

So dealer could not find just the seal from yammi. The only yammi part available was the entire output shaft assembly @ $600.

I found a 40x52x7 locally and installed that. I also ordered the 8mm thick one off of eBay in case this one does not work out.

Should be a good weekend!

I just found the same issue with my '06 RTX, belt cord wrapped around the shaft. Just ordered the seal off of eBay. What is the install procedure? Do I need to remove the shaft or can the seal be pressed in by hand with it still on the sled?

Thanks so much!

Todd

It's been a while since I did this so it's a little foggy. I just removed the clutch and pulled the old seal out and installed new seal. I did not remove anything other than the clutch.

I believe I pulled the old one out with an o-ring pick. There may have been a snap ring retaining. I know it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

I've got about 300kms on my fix, no problems.

Back