• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

pilot ski help and vibration now

saythey

Extreme
Has anyone have a good setup? I have a set of 6.9 pilots on my xtx and I can't get it to steer good. It darts around on hard pack and is hard to turn. I can handle a little darting but the hard steering sucks. I tried to stifffen the centre shock no help. I soften the front shocks from factory no help. The sled would bottom out on big bumps. Limit strap is extended all the way out. Can anyone help that is running 6.9 pilots?????

I have the 6.9's on my XTX and I love them. All I did with my suspension was set my springs to soft, adjust for more transfer and soften up the compression on the rear shock. For the ski shocks I adjust compression accordinto the conditions. Works for me.

Do you ever bottom out. If soften my springs I alway bottom out coming over an approach. I have the transfer rods set to max transfer. What is your centre shock set at. Thanks for the reply radianguy. I am spending more time trying to set this thing up instead of enjoying sledding

Where are you bottoming, rear susp or at the skis?

My shocks are all at the stock settings, I just turned the rear clicker 3 clicks towards softer from stock. I'm not sure where the shocks are actually set. You should just try adjusting your clickers, a few clicks does make a difference.

Have you played with the clicker adjustment? there are 12 clicks of adjustment, factory is set at 6(right in the middle) if you set it to 9 clicks toward hard you will not bottom it. A few times I had mine set at 6 for a softer ride and hit a few rises and found it soft, a couple of clicks harder makes a big difference. Try it out and let me know.

The only way to achieve lighter steering with 6.9s is to remove some of the ski pressure. The skis have a deep keel made for turning long track sleds. You can do 2 things to lighten up the ski pressure. If your front limiter is already all the way out, then you can add more preload to the front skid shock. More pressure in the middle lightens up the front. Be careful not to create a teeter effect however.

I experienced first hand the hard steering of the 6.9s on hard pack. My shoulders are still burning. The ski performs so well in the powder and soft snow that I was tempted to leave them on and try to lighten the front, but in my case, I have the suspension and transfer where I like it, and lightening the front will only get my in trouble when climbing, jumping, or playing around.

I would say it's back to the 5.7s for me and I'll put up with the lack of flotation.

How can I tell if the centre shock is too tight. I think the sled is too heavy to teeter. Thaks Goddo

well it won't literally teeter, but you'll notice too much pre-load on that center shock. The sled will transfer like mad and you'll have minimal ski pressure during acceleration and too much during deceleration.

When making adjustments, go in small increments

Attachments

• P1240002.JPG
    P1240002.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 61
No matter how I set it up tight or loose centre spring ski lift is min Now I think I have things really screwed up. When I hit 2 ft of powder it seems the sled will just trench and vibrate like belt slipping and I can't get more than 40mph It also take a long time to get the rpm past 7000rpm It sucked today.

saythey said:
No matter how I set it up tight or loose centre spring ski lift is min Now I think I have things really screwed up. When I hit 2 ft of powder it seems the sled will just trench and vibrate like belt slipping and I can't get more than 40mph It also take a long time to get the rpm past 7000rpm It sucked today.

I think at this point i would put everything back to base settings again. Then slowly make adjustments from there.

Pilot Skis

I don't want to hi-jack your post but I want to put Pilots on a FX Nytro. Just wondering what you used for the rubber bumpers?

Re: Pilot Skis

MIViper said:
I don't want to hi-jack your post but I want to put Pilots on a FX Nytro. Just wondering what you used for the rubber bumpers?

I have read that the ski-doo "ZX" rubbers work.

Back