• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Proline or SnoPro?

Cap I agree alum can snap easy. Especially when its very cold. I actual had some alum break on my clamshell going north on 3 to the Magalloway parking area last winter. I had to go pick someone up that went off the trail and flipped a sled. she was ok but sprained her hand and had a hard time with the throttle. Luckily we were near the Magalloway parking area when it happened. So 2 of us headed back to camp, grabbed the empty clam and drove it to pick her up. With no weight in the trailer it was bouncing violently with the heaves on 3 north. I was going slow but it was like dragging the trailer over a bolder field.

I actually believe that this is worse when empty vs. a fully loaded trailer. Under full load the suspension takes the hits....when empty it's too stiff and the trailer bounces.

The alum bar that hold the clamshell down by putting the pin through it, on the rear of the trailer, snapped clean off.

Sno Pro now uses double and tripple boxed members for extra strength. This pic is from their site.

I will be looking closely at couplers and the alum tubing.

SP_Extrusions2.gif

I had a steel frame clamshell break in half with a couple yamahas (my first 4-stroke warriors) several years ago. Not the long way but across the front on a trip up to the burg. The clambshell cover is what actually held it together for the remainder of the trip, talk about scary. We beefed it up with 2x4s for the ride home and then retired it. I have seen some pretty light duty clams.

The picture you posted is a great visual. My 2place Sno-Pro has the tubing on the left, my 4 place ProLine has the tubing in the middle.

There is a great trailer guy in Weare NH, Specialized Trailer Inc. that makes custom Aluminum trailers as well as any fab work needed. Great to work with if you ever run into any problems.

Last edited:
Here is a Hybred SnoPro with A coupler
I'm looking at some 14-16' hybrid trailers that i can stuff 3 sleds into. Anybody have experience with the 101x16 sno pro's or the 101x14 prolines? good bad etc.? Price new is just over 5k, seems like the proline is higher quality.

I think you should go with a Sno Pro . See the picture of there Hybred with A coupler.

I doubt with a tongue type Hybred you'd still be able to drop the tailgate and get a sled in there. The tongue won't be that long on these Hybreds. Maybe one like mine 15 x 101.
Here is a 2014 Sno Pro Hybred with A coupler front.
E6x12S.jpg

Here is a Hybred SnoPro with A coupler

I think you should go with a Sno Pro . See the picture of there Hybred with A coupler.

I doubt with a tongue type Hybred you'd still be able to drop the tailgate and get a sled in there. The tongue won't be that long on these Hybreds. Maybe one like mine 15 x 101.
Here is a 2014 Sno Pro Hybred with A coupler front. View attachment 101281

What do you mean by A coupler front? That is a straight coupler. An "A" coupler spans over both of the skinny beams coming forward. Like the coupler picture you showed earlier. The picture above is a straight coupler over the single forward tube.

This could be where all the confusion is coming from. The hybred above just has "A" frame tubing or "wishbone" tubing coming forward, not an "A" coupler.

Your right. I should of blown it up to have a good look. The neck is very short and not an A coupler like posted above so that fooled me to assume so at a quick glance. The OP or anyone should search and make this choice themselves. Instead of me trying to find one. Short neck might be better then a long one I would think. But... I'd still try to find one that uses A coupler if there is such a beast in the Hybred line. Or have it reinforced at some point.

Just an update - I went with the proline hybrid it's similar to the pic above with a very short neck, basically none beyond the coupler and goes immediately to the a frame. Trailer quality looks top notch with more aluminum (tighter spacing and larger members) than most competitors.

Cool...I would like to see the Proline line just to see them.. ... I will be keeping my SNO PRO now it's supported well. I'll try to post a pic at sometime soon. I've been busy. I also just got in a new axle from Dexter. I had them hot dip galvanize the axle,spindle. the hubs are Galvex. My 2003 axle is cakeing up bad with rust and don't trust it. The axle shipped was $482 not bad for piece of mind and a much longer lasting one.
I hope your Proline comes with one. It's kind of silly to make a Sno Mobile trailer that gets salt all over the bottom not have one. It was only a few dollars more to Galvanize.

New Support Tonque Neck Trailer.jpg

Here is the neck of mine now after it is supported. The tube on the underside goes 3 ft back into the nose area. Also they put a 1 piece patch over the welded break. I also have a aluminum tube inside from another welder who wasn't as good. So I had these guys weld it up proper. I don't know why the photo keeps loading upside down even thou I corrected it in a program.

Last edited:
Give Pro-Line a call. Ask for Tom. Pro-line trailers are a bit more money but well worth the extra. Heavier axils and can be custom built. I have a 16' in line and have not had a porblem with it in the 7 years I have had it. I can squeeze three sleds in it.
If I was to purchase another trailer it would be a Pro-Line.
Capt... Where did you break the trailer? Rt 16 in Milan? Bad road there. I have seen many trailers on the side of the road in that area.

I broke it in Plymouth Ma. I went to pick up some furniture. It did hit a frost heave. I know Rt 16 well as Rt 110A which is letal with frost heaves. This is why even if I bought a Pro Line I would have them weld it up with a under support as well. These sleds are heavy and Aluminum will fatigue in time and or snap not bend. Many trailers you've seen is too much. This is why I got a new hot dip Dexter torsion axle made as well. Don't want any more break downs.

Back