• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replacing slides

yamahahaapex said:
pulling skid is a great idea to change them but it is overkill more than once a season. some of those high mileage riders may go through more than a set a season and im sure wouldnt want to pull the skid out everytime

For those guys I would definitely be getting the new Vespel slides!

blue er said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbyYXsxkOMw
can try this as well

Yup, this is the way I'd do it if I didn't pull the suspension...reverse makes it so much easier. Just knock the sliders through the windows (no need to cut open the track windows)and lube (silicone) the windows to make it easier. Cut the new sliders to length and chamfer the rear edges to ease removal next time. Lube the new sliders and rails, and using a hammer and block of wood, knock them into place through the windows. Don't forget the screws.

Slides

I appreciate all the replies, I think I'll lube up the windows to get the slides through and try the reverse way to take off. The slides are a little wider than the windows so lubing the track should work, thanks much.

Yes I will repeat dont forget the screws and make sure to use a #3 phillips screwdriver on them. Yes they can be stripped so use some force to hold the phillips in place while applying the torque to take out the screw.

No need to cut track windows. Use a little silicone spray (safe for use with track rubber compound)around the opening and the hyfax will slide right through.

^^^^^^^^^I usually take a wide chisel and dig in a notch then beat that sucker with a hammer. On my first replacement I had the skid out (glad I did as my wheel bearings were totaly dry) and used a torch to heat them up. May not be a good idea if skid is in.

quick tip

one way I have that is easy, loosen the two back wheels on the skid, loosen track adjustor nut both sides. take a sharp box cutter knife and cut the slider from underneath at the halfway point. now take the knife and cut the slide lengthwise all the way down the skid. take a flat screwdriver and pry the slider open at the halfway point where you cut them. now take a pair of visegrips and grab the slider and pull sideways, can be a bit tricky, put your feet up against the track to give you more leverage. slides come out pretty easily. repeat the same process on the other side. not sure how you will get the wide slide through the track window. normal width slides should fit not problem. the method I have described can be done anywhere in a jam with simple tools.

ecopter said:
You do not need to cut the track. With a little force, you can twist the slider to go through the narrow window.

Same here too. I did use soapy water to spray on the rails, My last ride was really muddy and the slides were stubborn and there was quite a bit of sand in there. I used a slide hammer too, worked great. No cutting or removing the skid at all. I stuck the new slide in through the window rotated 90 degrees from where it should be and twisted it and pushed it through, went in really easy.

I did have to replace the screw in the front of the bend, that thing was so tight that it stripped out the phillips before it budged. Upgraded to tapered allen screws with new locktite (blue).

I came up with something that got me out of a tough slide situation a few years ago.

I take a torch and heat up the top part of the slide starting with the back 12". When hot enough, I take a utility knife and just run it along the top the slide cutting off the part that holds on to the rail. I then do another foot or so. At this point you should be able to pull the slide towards you off the rail. If the slide co-operates, you should be able to pull the balance of the slide right off. If not, continue heating up the slide towards the front until you can.

With a little technique, you'd be amazed at how fast you can take them off. I lube the new ones a bit and they generally go on pretty easy. I've done this for years now and have never had a problem. Make sure your track is nice and loose - it helps alot. I always run my tracks as loose as I can which obviously helps when changing slides.

Thought I'd pass it on.

Grimm said:
blue er said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbyYXsxkOMw
can try this as well

Yup, this is the way I'd do it if I didn't pull the suspension...reverse makes it so much easier. Just knock the sliders through the windows (no need to cut open the track windows)and lube (silicone) the windows to make it easier. Cut the new sliders to length and chamfer the rear edges to ease removal next time. Lube the new sliders and rails, and using a hammer and block of wood, knock them into place through the windows. Don't forget the screws.
Yep! in less than 1 beer too! :drink:

:4STroke: once I got started pulled through window and put in reverse. Did not have to cut window at all to remove or install new.

Back