• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rider behind me reported seeing sparks in my tunnel

That's some thing I should probably check too. But it seems to have gone away.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I did catch about 4 squirrels in a trap around my sled this summer so I don't doubt the presence of flamable junk somewhere around the sled. Thanks for the tip.

Well about 50 km later. Speedo trackshaft bearing went. I think that's where the sparks where coming from.

Were you having any issues with inaccurate speedo gauge readings recently?

Nope not at all. Mind you the track is spinning so often who could really tell. Most of my riding is powder and breaking trail, it's hard to tell.

The sled slept on the lake 30 miles from camp overnight and we changed the bearing on the lake under a portable ice hut. Thankfully my camp neighbour had a spare cs205 Bearing from an apex drive shaft.

Drove it home under its own power, even if the speedo was still destroyed, and tors and 42 made it difficult. It still let me drive if I held the throttle.

Of course the bearing wouldn't come off easy. Took 4 hours to get it off. Cost of doing business I guess.

Going to get a new bearing and speedo from Yamaha today, debating on leaving this bearing and just re greasing it. I can't believe the bearing is just a steel face bearing, how does it keep water and grit out ?

try your local bearings and drive shop to see if they have a sealed bearing. I had the same issue with a previous sled and was able to find and aftermarket bearing at my local shop. The sled is still on the trail and doing well. I also drilled a hole in the steel cap that covers this bearing and welded a grease zerk on it so that I could grease the bearing and push all the water out of it that accumulates as you ride. The water creates rush over the summer which usually is what takes the bearing and speedo drive out.

Found an aftermarket bearing that doesn't have the small holes all around the cage. Also has a rubber seal on the steel face. Should work alot better. It also fit the shaft better. The used one must have swelled at some point, I needed a puller and alot of persuasion to get it on and off. Also took the opportunity to regrease the jackshaft bearing. Very easy job, I can't believe I never did it before. 11000km on the bearing thankfully it looks new.

Back